The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've had this issue as well. :mad:
No Track key ,Peterson can and M1.
Bout 1qt every 1500 miles. Been to the dealer a few times since I had 6000 miles and have received every excuse in the book from "its still breaking in", "its normal", "don't worry about it","you need a new air filter" (I had a brand new filter just put in) "service manager isn't here to sign off on it" to here's the best one......... "Our warranty index is high"!!!!!! Ugh. Think I'm gonna write Ford a letter now.

I'm currently at 67k miles. So I'm sure she's broke in. Now the question is do I really want them to put in a new long block if they decide to or would that just open a can of worms. Or just let her be and keep feeding oil.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ssmith891 said:
All I can think of is the pinging is indication of oil being sucked back into the intake, ending in consumption. And this only occurs with TracKey. The oil separator helps but the pinging is still there.

Oil life is 90%. Oil looks clean as well and is dead between min and max.

TracKey does close the throttle blade more under decel and that's why you get more engine braking with it. That will suck in more oil though the PCV system if connected, even with a separator. And that oil vapor does contribute to ping conditions plus consumption if you engine brake a lot.

ssmith891 said:
I have a 2012 with 46,000 miles. I've had it almost a year and bought it with 26,000 as a CPO from Ford. I've done some research and understand that some oil consumption is considered normal, but I'm having to add roughly a quart every 1500 miles, give or take. I don't track the car, but it is my DD and I do drive the car the way it is meant to be driven, fast and hard ;D I drive about 50/50 between silver and TracKey...should I be concerned? I know high speed driving does contribute a lot to oil consumption, and if you live in Texas you know how easy and tempting that is on highways here. Any comments or thoughts are welcome!

I'm new to TMO, but the Trackey engine braking feature was where my mind first went as well. Seems that perhaps your recent experience is validating that since oil usage has declined w/ the silver key. Regarding the pinging, I if recall the timing is well advanced w/ Trackey and one of the car's books indicates that some engine pinging is to be expected. I experience that in mine as well.

By the way, I think I know your car! You park it frequently at the shopping center NW corner of 380 & 75? If so, I've parked beside you once, I drive a Performance White 2012. I live just up the road in Anna.

2012Boss302 said:
Are the replacement long blocks real Boss engines with all the upgraded parts and heads ???
Yes

FL450 said:
I'm new to TMO, but the Trackey engine braking feature was where my mind first went as well. Seems that perhaps your recent experience is validating that since oil usage has declined w/ the silver key. Regarding the pinging, I if recall the timing is well advanced w/ Trackey and one of the car's books indicates that some engine pinging is to be expected. I experience that in mine as well.

By the way, I think I know your car! You park it frequently at the shopping center NW corner of 380 & 75? If so, I've parked beside you once, I drive a Performance White 2012. I live just up the road in Anna.

Interesting...I hadn't thought about the engine braking but that does make sense. Yes I believe the TracKey installation guide states that there may be some ping in lower RPMs, but mine occurs towards the top end while climbing up revs. It just makes me nervous pushing it continuously that hard with pinging.

That's me! I work in that shopping center and I live in Anna as well! What a small world! ;D

I bought a used 2012 with only 3800 kms. (2500 miles) on it. Wasn't long before I noticed it was using far more oil than it should. Went to the dealer and had it checked out. Initially they replaced PCV, indicating it was pretty gummed up. Consumption continued to be high ( 1 qt per 800-1000 miles). Went back to dealer and went on oil consumption watch. Dealer did oil change, etched dip stick and was told to come back when oil hit the lower etch mark. Wasn't long before I was back to see them. Dealer did compression test and showed in spec. Ford Hot line advised to replace long block (initially dealer spec'd short block at Ford's request).

One thing I noticed was that when I first drove the car after start up that there was a mechanical ticking sound that occurred between 2200-2500 rpms. Seemed to become less noticeable as the car warmed up. Didn't matter whether I drove the car with track key or regular key. My new motor does not make this sound at all!!! My guess is that there was a problem with the valves/head.

I was told by the dealer that Ford expects little oil consumption to the tune of only 1 liter per 4000 kms. If your consuming oil at 1 qt. per 1500 miles.....that's waaaaaaaaaaaay to high. Get to a dealer and get the situation documented and push for answers from Ford Tech Hotline.

Others on this forum have had long blocks replaced for high oil consumption, especially 2012 cars. My feeling is that Ford Engineering knows there were some early build issues.

I've only put about 700 kms. on the new motor, but it's running/sounding great and I expect my oil consumption problem will be gone. Can't wait for the weather to turn nice here so I can put more mileage on it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

TMO Supporting Vendors