The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

oil consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My GT seems to go thru oil like a $h1t thru a goose. I would say between the 5K mile oil change intervals I need to feed it 1.5 quarts to keep it filled up.

I drive it pretty hard but I wouldn't consider it beating on it since I very rarely ever take it all the way up to redline. I have 19K miles on the car now and its been using oil this way since new. No leaks anywhere and I don't notice any burning of oil from the tailpipes either. :eek:

skwerl

tree hugger
2013dibgt said:
My GT seems to go thru oil like a $h1t thru a goose. I would say between the 5K mile oil change intervals I need to feed it 1.5 quarts to keep it filled up.

I drive it pretty hard but I wouldn't consider it beating on it since I very rarely ever take it all the way up to redline. I have 19K miles on the car now and its been using oil this way since new. No leaks anywhere and I don't notice any burning of oil from the tailpipes either. :eek:

Too late now, you already polished the rings before they were able to seat properly. Long periods of idling or easy driving is the worst thing in the world for breaking in a new engine. The rings need to cut into the cylinder walls and wear to fit. This takes pressure, and you're not going to get any pressure on the rings by idling. You need to load the engine with both acceleration and deceleration and keep the RPM's varied. Don't get on the highway and set the cruise control during break in.

Sorry to say but your car will burn oil until the engine gets rebuilt. It will never get better on its own. The ring edges are polished and hardened so they will never seat any better.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
2013dibgt said:

Is your PCV system still intact/stock?

You might just be sucking it in if you aren't using catch cans or breathers.

Macker said:
Update: Car continues to use oil at approx. 1 qt/Liter per 600 mi/1000 kms. Ford dealer is putting in a call to the "hot line" to inquire on processing warranty claim to replace the motor. Have 9800 kms./5800 miles on the car now.

Expect to hear back shortly on next steps and will provide another update soon.

Dealer has received a response from Ford Tech/Warranty. They are ordering a number of diagnostics, including compression & leak down tests and PCV check. Car is booked Oct.30. Will provide another update on what they find.

Disappointed with the situation to say the least. :-[

Nov 5/14 update - Have decided to delay the work until after winter, since I will be storing the car and don't see the sense in Ford potentially needing to replace the motor and then having it sit in my garage. Was told that once they put in for a claim, work has to be done within 60 days. It didn't help that the dealership is currently undergoing construction, making it difficult to work on the car.....safely. I'm assured by the Service Mgr. that they can pick right back up on this next spring. I have full warranty on the car till June 2016.

Next big question will be; If it needs a new block, how long will it take to get one.

Macker said:
Dealer has received a response from Ford Tech/Warranty. They are ordering a number of diagnostics, including compression & leak down tests and PCV check. Car is booked Oct.30. Will provide another update on what they find.

Disappointed with the situation to say the least. :-[

Nov 5/14 update - Have decided to delay the work until after winter, since I will be storing the car and don't see the sense in Ford potentially needing to replace the motor and then having it sit in my garage. Was told that once they put in for a claim, work has to be done within 60 days. It didn't help that the dealership is currently undergoing construction, making it difficult to work on the car.....safely. I'm assured by the Service Mgr. that they can pick right back up on this next spring. I have full warranty on the car till June 2016.

Next big question will be; If it needs a new block, how long will it take to get one.

Mar.3/15 - Update - Dealer removed valve covers and plugs and did compression/leak down test at Ford engineering request. No issues found. Tomorrow they say they will pull the head. Plugs looked ok. Surprised given the amount of oil it's been using. Not sure where the oil is going?

Mar.11/15 - Dealer replaced the PCV. I've also added a passenger side JLT oil separator/catch can to see what I can collect. I'm not convinced it's the PCV that was causing the oil consumption, but we'll see. Car now has 10500 kms. on it (6000 miles). I'll continue to monitor the oil consumption going forward to see if it gets any better. I have an extended warranty till June 2016. :)

Good luck and keep us posted. In a different thread another member popped his Boss motor last weekend.

NFSBOSS said:
Good luck and keep us posted. In a different thread another member popped his Boss motor last weekend.

Will do. Should have another update later today. In some ways I wish my motor had popped like the other members.......then they would simply give me a new one! Was the other member racing his car at the time?

Anyways, fingers crossed, they'll find something today that points to the root of the problem.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Macker said:
Will do. Should have another update later today. In some ways I wish my motor had popped like the other members.......then they would simply give me a new one! Was the other member racing his car at the time?

Anyways, fingers crossed, they'll find something today that points to the root of the problem.

It is possible the oil is going through the intake??

Steve lost a motor to bad PCV system. Oil was sucked into the intake and the motor popped. The Cats make it hard to notice anything but the heaviest oil burn.

If you could pull your throttle body and check the intake for excessive oil, that could be an indicator of a bad PCV problem.

Do you have a catch can for the PCV??

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
TMSBOSS said:

Steve lost a motor to bad PCV system. Oil was sucked into the intake and the motor popped. The Cats make it hard to notice anything but the heaviest oil burn.

If you could pull your throttle body and check the intake for excessive oil, that could be an indicator of a bad PCV problem.

I thought he wasn't running any oil separator or catch can and didn't check the oil level that day?

TMSBOSS said:

I'm assuming they (Ford dealer) have/are checking PCV/Intake as this has to come off to get the head off (may have removed it yesterday already to get at valve covers/plugs......not sure, never looked very closely to see if this was necessary?). No noticeable blue smoke out the tail pipe which aligns with their findings, i.e. compression/leak test ok.

I have a catch can ready to install, but decided not to run it till this oil consumption issue is diagnosed.

Update Mar.5/15 - Ford is saying that there is quite a bit of oil in the Intake, more then what they consider normal. They are replacing the PCV part/system. As a result they did not remove the head.

Questions/comments from the service advisor:

1. Asked if there had been any tuning done to the engine as PCM appears to show some mods. Told him only tuning done was with the FOrd supplied Race Key......which they programmed (before I bought the car from the previous owner). Haha!

2. Asked if I did a lot of short trips. Said I do a few here and there, maybe 40% of the time.

3. Plastic shroud cover beside Intake was missing some fastners......asked if I knew about that, which I replied I was not aware.

4. Compression test was done using their "IDS", which I suspect is their diagnostic computer that taps into the cars PCM. Compression looks good across all cylinders. This is not the same as putting a compression tester on the plug hole itself, but is supposed to be within +/- 5% of that. Leak down test also showed things being good.

5. Oil appeared to have quite a bit of fuel contamination. Didn't seem to dwell on this much, but does seem a bit concerning to me. It is winter here, so maybe the car runs a bit richer than normal, i.e. longer warm up cycle?

Anyways, I suspect once they get the new PCV on, I'll be getting the car back and will be once again monitoring the oil consumption to see if it improves.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I always let the car warm up for about 5 minutes before driving it. If I'm at the track I make sure everything is up to operating temperatures before I push the car at all. I don't daily drive mine though, mostly just fair weather stuff and I trailer it to the track. I also change my oil about every 1000 miles or every 10 hours of track time which usually equates to every 4 track days. I might be a little OCD but my car hasn't had any consumption issues and I have catch cans on both driver and passenger sides. The most oil I have seen is just enough to wet the bottom of the can and I have never seen a drop on the driver side can.

superhero said:
They should pull the intake to clean out all the oil. what do you think.

Yeah, I'd say that would be something they should do, but I doubt they did. :-( I'll find out tonight when i visit the dealer.

Macker said:
Yeah, I'd say that would be something they should do, but I doubt they did. :-( I'll find out tonight when i visit the dealer.

They told me they cleaned the intake.....without removing the throttle body. Not sure how good that would be. See bottom of pg. 1 of this thread for my final update.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel