The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

oil consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My 2013 Boss now has 4300 Km, I did my first oil change at 1600 Km ( 1000 miles ) Mobile 1 5w 50. The car is burning 1 litre per 1600 Km. I was hoping this would change as she broke in, I have seen no change in the consumption rate so far. I do mostly weekend trips with the Red Key,lets say spirited driving, I know others have issues with this as well,does this get better with more milage or is there something wrong with my engine? Car runs great no other complaints.

Mine stopped at about 5000 miles, it gradual so be patient. A lot of it depends on whether you drive it like you stole it or just cruising around, I'm sure you already know that.

Well I own 1994 ford diesel 7.3 IDI as well.I visit Oil Burners.net regularly for good information on the truck,I'am no stranger to pooring oil in my engine, just hope that this consumption goes down as you said.I would expect to burn some oil during the breakin period.I shall keep driving and topping her up.Thanks.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Only have 450 miles on my GT and I just did my first oil change to M1 5w50. I did not see any sign of oil consumption thru the first 450 miles on mine, I would probably get the continued consumption checked out

So Boss

Boss at Vancouver (now Finland)
Hi,
my Canadian Boss was using oil during break-in. Nothing to worry about.

The consumption gradually went down like this:
First 1800 miles - 1 liter needed
Next 3600 miles - 1 liter needed
Now when I checked after very spirited roadtrip of 6000 miles it has used 1 liter.

The Boss total mileage is 20000 miles.

I was thinking about getting a oil seperator for this car,then I can see how much oil is getting sucked into the intake by the PCV. Also I have allways kept the oil at the full mark on the dip stick,never allowing it to drop much before topping it up,wondering if this adds to the consumption.Seen several oil seperator set ups on this site, like the 302 R can that picks up both sides of the engine,most only do passenger side.

Glenn

Still plays with cars...
Omaha
Have about 1,000 miles on mine, no oil consumption so far...installed a JLT passenger side air-oil separator at 500 miles, works fine and looks stock. I don't think you need one on the driver's side for normal street driving.

Pitt302 said:
I was thinking about getting a oil seperator for this car,then I can see how much oil is getting sucked into the intake by the PCV. Also I have allways kept the oil at the full mark on the dip stick,never allowing it to drop much before topping it up,wondering if this adds to the consumption.Seen several oil seperator set ups on this site, like the 302 R can that picks up both sides of the engine,most only do passenger side.

I believe most only do the passenger side since, if what I read is true, most of the oil is sucked through that side.

I burned about 1 Qt every 4K miles initially. After my last oil change @ 9500, the oil level has not dropped below the full mark. Have 11,480 now.

Pitt302 said:
My 2013 Boss now has 4300 Km, I did my first oil change at 1600 Km ( 1000 miles ) Mobile 1 5w 50. The car is burning 1 litre per 1600 Km. I was hoping this would change as she broke in, I have seen no change in the consumption rate so far. I do mostly weekend trips with the Red Key,lets say spirited driving, I know others have issues with this as well,does this get better with more milage or is there something wrong with my engine? Car runs great no other complaints.

Picked my 2012 Boss up with only 3800 kms. on it and now have just over 7000 kms. Car was down a liter when I got it, so topped it up. I've since added about another 1.5 to 2 litres and am down again another 600-800 ml. I've contacted the local Ford dealer and they are having me come in to get an oil change and start monitoring my oil consumption. The previous owner did 3 oil changes on the car.......so the car has been well maintained.

I guess the big question is: What does Ford consider abnormal oil comsumption??

Macker said:
Picked my 2012 Boss up with only 3800 kms. on it and now have just over 7000 kms. Car was down a liter when I got it, so topped it up. I've since added about another 1.5 to 2 litres and am down again another 600-800 ml. I've contacted the local Ford dealer and they are having me come in to get an oil change and start monitoring my oil consumption. The previous owner did 3 oil changes on the car.......so the car has been well maintained.

I guess the big question is: What does Ford consider abnormal oil comsumption??

I can't speak on what Ford deems abbynormal, however it is odd that the original owner was changing the oil pretty much every 800 miles, was he just not driving the car at all?

Brandon302 said:
I can't speak on what Ford deems abbynormal, however it is odd that the original owner was changing the oil pretty much every 800 miles, was he just not driving the car at all?

He took delivery in june 2011, so I guess he figured he needed to change the oil at least once a year. Some people are just super anal about stuff like this I guess. Good news is, they were all done at the dealership, so there is no questioning that the oil was well cared for.

I have had the 302 R breather can on my car for quite some time know,did notice the smell at stop lights,but not so much anymore,my car has 12000 KM on it now and my oil consumption has started to flatten out. I burn about 200ml every 1000 km, it burned 1000ml the first 1000km when new.I allways top it up to the full mark,not sure if the breather helped consumption,but at least i know it's not going into the intake anymore. One day i shall check the can,but i dont think any oil would get there,its a bit of a pain to check.

I'm officially on an oil consumption watch with my local dealer. They changed the oil/filter and took a picture of the dip stick. I'll be back to see them again when I'm down a full quart/Liter to top up and have another picture taken. Need to continue to do this until the next change is due. Will be interesting to see if the consumption slows down as I put more miles/kms on the car.....like it has for many here.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I have the Steeda catch can on both the driver and passenger side. Never had a drop of oil on the driver side…the passenger side gets a little but just enough to wet the bottom of the catch can and that is after a full 2-3 days at the track. I have never had any oil consumption issues though even during break in. I change the oil though after every 2-3 track days. Car has 12k on it now and I've even changed the tranny 3 times and diff 4 times. About to do another change on the tranny before I go to Road Atlanta in October :)

Update: Car continues to use oil at approx. 1 qt/Liter per 600 mi/1000 kms. Ford dealer is putting in a call to the "hot line" to inquire on processing warranty claim to replace the motor. Have 9800 kms./5800 miles on the car now.

Expect to hear back shortly on next steps and will provide another update soon.

skwerl

tree hugger
I made sure to drive the crap out of mine during break in. It burned a quart in the first thousand miles but then oil consumption slowed down. I waited until 4000 miles to change the oil the first time because I wanted to make sure the rings were fully seated before dumping out the break in oil.

Silly people changing the oil at 800 miles with full synthetic and then wondering why the rings won't seat.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
skwerl said:
I made sure to drive the crap out of mine during break in. It burned a quart in the first thousand miles but then oil consumption slowed down. I waited until 4000 miles to change the oil the first time because I wanted to make sure the rings were fully seated before dumping out the break in oil.

Silly people changing the oil at 800 miles with full synthetic and then wondering why the rings won't seat.

Ran mine for a year, about 2100 miles before the first change.

Used a little the first year, about 2 liters.

Now, no oil consumption.

I too failed to Baby the car. Seems to be a good way to break it in.

Who knew!!! ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors