The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil cooler connections--slight leak normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
I've had my Setrab 9-searies oil cooler on for about 2 years now.
Today I took a close look at the connectors at the bottom of it, and noticed both of them are wet with oil. Never any oil on the floor. But I did see very slight residue at the underside of the fascia/under panel seam.
They are Improved Racing swivel 90 degree connectors.
Is this normal for the swivel connectors? I remembered they are somewhat loose at the joint after I installed them, and figured that's how swivel versions work.
Here's a couple pics.
Is this cause for concern, and removing front fascia for closer inspection?
Thanks

IMG_20160430_201928_596_zpsr1pm8gcu.jpg

IMG_20160430_202132_328_zpsr2jbiwow.jpg

M91196 said:
Shouldn't be wet.....
I agree. Make sure the connections are tight and if they are consider changing them.

drano38

Wayne
Thanks for the inputs.
Today I pulled the front fascia off.
Hard to pin down exactly where the leaks are from. Lots of air flow thru there to move any fluid.
Adapters that screw into the cooler were both slightly loose, so tightened them up.
One fitting that screws onto that adapter was loose. Loosened both up and re-tightened.
Checked both ends that attach to the hose. They were tight.
Both of those hose end connectors that transition to the metal tube (90 deg fittings) wiggle. Don't know what's in there to seal it up, but it seems odd they wiggle.
One of the 45 deg fittings coming off my inline thermostat wiggles, but very little. The other one beside it is tight.
I guess next step is put the car back on the ground, and drive it around town a bit and inspect again to hopefully find the leak(s).

drano38

Wayne
Got the connections cleaned up today, and tight.
Went out for a test drive.
Unfortunately, one of the hoses leaks at the swivel junction. Improved Racing said the fittings are guaranteed.
Hope its easy to remove and replace the end, and get me going again.
Also need to order another honey comb sheet from Speedway since this one has some oil on it.

The fittings in the picture look like 90 degree JIC reusables. They shouldn't be loose, or leak at all, if tightened correctly to the correct mate. As you guessed you may have a bad one or it was assembled onto the hose incorrectly.Edit I may not be seeing the swivel portion correctly toward the hose end, that may have movement at all times and be a failure point.

drano38

Wayne
Improved Racing sent me a replacement 90 degree fitting, and got it installed Friday. Took it on a test drive today, and no leaks. So put the front clip back on. Also checked the thermostat and sandwich plate fittings.
Hope that's the end of this project. I'll keep a closer eye on them from now on.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel