The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil cooler/cooling question for supercharged Mustang GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
I anticipated having to deal with a lot more heat from a supercharged car and have installed a Mishimoto performance radiator, 170° thermostat, VMP triple pass heat exchanger & Peirburg GT500 intercooler pump. While running HPDE at Thunderhill on Aug 3rd it was about 100°, 10 min. into my 3rd session I experienced an overheat condition with CEL and limp mode. It seems that running hard at 100° is too much for my set-up so I'm looking for more cooling improvement. I think there's a lot to be gained by installing an oil cooler but the typical install location is occupied by my intercooler H/E. I might be able rig up a mounting point forward of the H/E but even if it'll fit I'm concerned about dumping more heat in front of the radiator & H/E, and about restricting the airflow through such a stack (oil cooler, H/E, A/C condenser, radiator).

Maybe there's an alternate oil cooler install location I haven't considered? A cooler w/fan comes to mind. Maybe there's more to be gained than lost by just stacking everything? Anybody here ever dealt with this challenge, or have any other suggestions that might help?

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Out of curiosity.... What was your oil temp?? Don't know if the Mishimoto rad helps much.... I saw almost no difference over my stock Boss rad (Yes... I was told.....several timeso_O)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Maybe there's an alternate oil cooler install location I haven't considered? A cooler w/fan comes to mind. Maybe there's more to be gained than lost by just stacking everything? Anybody here ever dealt with this challenge, or have any other suggestions that might help?

One more thing I should have suggested for you is the Fluidyne 302 Hx setup which is a dual pass radiator and oil to water cooler. Same as on the CVR school cars. Running in 100° conditions S/C’d is no easy feat. Plumbing needs to be custom on the lower/return side. And the setup is spendy. Available from Kenny Brown.

TMO Supporting Vendors