The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil cooler line leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone else experienced the oil cooler line almost separating from the oil filter adapter? I got "meatballed" at Sebring this weekend for excessive smoke. As I started to dig into it, I suspected the spin-on filter. It wasn't until I pulled the whole under-belly tray that the oil cooler line had pried itself from the oil filter adapter. When I tried to remove the bolt it snapped with very little torque applied. It's a Grade 10.9 bolt, which is 150ksi strength and there's only about 50lb of separation load under pressure. There's no reason it should have broken in bending unless it was a fatigue problem. It's kind of a poor design, so I wanted to see if anyone else had an issue.

I guess now is a good time to upgrade to the cartridge filter if I can't get the rest of the bolt out.IMG_20191215_123645767.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors