The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Cooler Question ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012Boss302 said:
Has anyone priced out and oil cooler like the Ford piece individually. Meaning, buy the hose from one shop, cooler from another, and etc.....

Also, has anyone run an external cooler in series with the factory cooler???
My FRPP oil cooler is run in series with the factory cooler. It was designed to run that way.

cloud9 said:
My FRPP oil cooler is run in series with the factory cooler. It was designed to run that way.

The factory cooler for holding down oil temps in your driveway, the FRPP cooler for all other times.

OH, NO I D'INT!!! ;D

Anyway, check the other oil cooler threads. I swear there has been at least one home brew kit. Maybe Capt. Distraction?

Jimmy Pribble said:
The factory cooler for holding down oil temps in your driveway, the FRPP cooler for all other times.

OH, NO I D'INT!!! ;D

Anyway, check the other oil cooler threads. I swear there has been at least one home brew kit. Maybe Capt. Distraction?
And the factory cooler to warm up the oil in your garage :D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
steveespo said:
Do any of our 302S owners have the water to oil cooler on their cars from the factory?
Steve

In for that answer too. I have not noticed anything double stacked like that in S or R pics, but I wasn't looking for it either.

I wonder if the FRPP cooler runs in series since it doesn't come with a thermostat, that way the oil doesn't get too cold.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Give that man a pink stuffed elephant ! ;D

(That is today's prize from BMO - See NFSBOSS for details ::) )

The Ford Racing air to oil cooler consists of a 16 Row Setrab series 6 cooler, canton sandwich adapter, and hoses/fittings. You can get the cooler for around $200, sandwich plate for $90 and fittings/hose for about $125. You'd have to build your own bracket from some aluminum sheet from Lowes or Home depot but your looking at less than $450 vs the $1100+ for the Ford kit.

You could upgrade the cooler to a 19 row and get a sanwich plate with a thermostat for about $500.

PeteInCT said:
Give that man a pink stuffed elephant ! ;D

(That is today's prize from BMO - See NFSBOSS for details ::) )
Here it is.

58861.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
KBBOSS1086 said:
The Ford Racing air to oil cooler consists of a 16 Row Setrab series 6 cooler, canton sandwich adapter, and hoses/fittings. You can get the cooler for around $200, sandwich plate for $90 and fittings/hose for about $125. You'd have to build your own bracket from some aluminum sheet from Lowes or Home depot but your looking at less than $450 vs the $1100+ for the Ford kit.

You could upgrade the cooler to a 19 row and get a sanwich plate with a thermostat for about $500.
Pete, Sean's numbers are correct on this, the Strab is not as expensive as we thought.
Steve

KBBOSS1086 said:

Racer Parts Wholesale or Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies is where I found all the parts. $500 is about what I came up with. I know the idea of parts markup and profit but 100% seems a bit much....

2012Boss302 said:
Racer Parts Wholesale or Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies is where I found all the parts. $500 is about what I came up with. I know the idea of parts markup and profit but 100% seems a bit much....

Those are the same sites I was using in my research.

I agree with you on the pricing. I could see if they designed and manufactured the parts, but to only take the parts of other manufacturer's and put them in a box together then more than double the price is a bit ridiculous. Not to mention, I'm sure they are not paying retail prices for any of the parts. Hell, you could use the 72 Setrab used in the Cooltech kit and still come in about $200 less than the Ford Racing kit.

302s7.jpg

Hey guys, I'm ordering parts for my DIY FRPP-style "Texas Edition" oil cooler and I was wondering how much hose did you use for your setups? Nothing unusual about my setup. The hoses will run from an oil filter sandwich plate to the bottom of the cooler mounted in the FRPP position, behind the upper grille.

I could wait until tonight and go measure, but I'm super lazy. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors