The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Cooler Question ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackBoss302 said:
From my experience I would say an oil temp gauge is a must. I track my car mainly in North Texas on tracks with a lot of hanging RPMs and the oil temps always exceeds 280 whenever the outside temps are above 90. So in the short term to lower oil temps I keep rpms below 6500 which in turn keeps oil temps below 265. Not the fastest way around the track, but much safer for the engine. IMO the FR / Setrab oil cooler should have been standard equipment.
JScheier said:
If it were me, and I wasn't planning on tracking the car, I'd probably be more concerned with oil temps in your scenario.

Since I do track the car, Oil temps are important, but lower oil pressure is more of a concern. If you were to go with a larger cooler (think someone mentioned 'Texas Sized') you'd definitely want to watch pressures to see if the larger cooler was resulting in a pressure drop. I think Kendall posted some interesting facts / numbers in his thread about pressure drop / loss across line and cooler sizes.

My current setup has oil temps coming out of the block at the oil pressure sensor location. In my previous car I ran the temp sensor after the cooler and then again at the filter. Filter (outbound with a sandwich plate) shows what exiting temperatures are. Exiting the cooler shows what you gained from the cooler and should be representative of what you are pumping back in. Based on my setup at the time, the filter location temps were more of a concern as that more readily represents the temperature of the oil at the bearings and other internals.

FWIW, I ran a fluidyne cooler on a 302 punched out to 347cu. Motor made 420 rwhp on pump gas and spun to 7800 rpm. Oil temps and pressures were very much on my mind each time I got on track.
Both great pieces of info, thanks.

JScheier said:
If you were to go with a larger cooler (think someone mentioned 'Texas Sized') you'd definitely want to watch pressures to see if the larger cooler was resulting in a pressure drop. I think Kendall posted some interesting facts / numbers in his thread about pressure drop / loss across line and cooler sizes.

One cool thing about the sandwich plate that I plan to use (Steve linked to it before) is that one sensor port is before the oil cooler and one is after. So, it is a simple matter to collect some data (I guess I will pony-up for the data logger for my gauges) and then swap the oil pressure and temp sensors. Collect more data and then compare the deltas for pressure and temp that can be attributed just to the cooler. ;)

Jimmy Pribble said:
I'll admit that when another BMO member offered the 302S-style engine breather in a kit, I didn't think many would bite, since myself and others had published the parts list and detailed instructions on how to DIY for hundred(s) less. I was wrong and they flew off the shelf. In both of these cases, we are only talking about paying for labor, yours or somebody else's. The parts come from the same place.

To be clear the breathers are built from scratch and they in no way copy any design exactly. Some race cars have two hoses run into one, some even have a two can setup, different hose fitting etc. As far as I know no company offers a complete bolt on kit, some may offer all the parts need but still require assembly. Ford even uses a different canister these days that I understand are made for HRPWorld exclusively.

The only part that was outright copied was the bracket made up 100% original by a fellow member here. He not only posted the drawings to make these, he turned down any part of the project that I offered even before the idea was made public.

I was asked a long time in threads and by emails if I could make a complete setup to sell. I declined until the bracket idea came out, makes this kit unique. These have in no way flown off the shelves, it is including the last couple I am going to make, about 30 total. I do have a lot of time put into these from answering emails, ordering every big and little part from the canister to clamps, testing with the bracket etc., it's more time then it's worth for a business.

I am not calling you out Jimmy and no need to respond here, I just want to make it clear what I do and how it came about. As far as the other posts here in this thread Rick has covered it and I have no opinion.

TMO Supporting Vendors