The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

Oil coolers and radiatores..

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Reaction score
On my tracked Boss I put a 915 and 925 setrab oil coolers in front of the rad. The 925 above the bumper, and the 915 below, both in fresh air. The temp. delta is greater inbetween the Oil coolers and the ambient air temps then the Radiator and the incoming air....So is having the hotter oil coolers infront of the radiador making the rad much less efficient? Should the oil coolers really go behind the rad?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Reaction score
I think so. It's also why I wouldn't put one under the bumper in front. It would definitely be heating the cold side of the radiator flow.

Does the hot oil go to the top/925 first? For the two coolers up front, that would be 'better' than the other way around.

There isn't a lot of room behind the radiator...or I would have done it myself.

Coz

TMO Addict
Reaction score
The temp. delta is greater in between the Oil coolers and the ambient air temps then the Radiator and the incoming air...
Aren't oil temps normally higher than coolant temps? If so, the delta would always be higher for oil. How much difference is there between the respective deltas? (Delta of the deltas...)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Reaction score
Aren't oil temps normally higher than coolant temps? If so, the delta would always be higher for oil. How much difference is there between the respective deltas? (Delta of the deltas...)
Yes. The difference will depend on the locations of the respective oil coolers. In series, the first cooler will always be hotter than the second. The radiator has a temp gradient across it. Putting the first and hotter oil cooler in front of the colder side of the radiator would decrease performance of the system overall.

Reactions: Coz

TA28

TMO Intermediate
Reaction score
look at all old race cars ac cobra, Holman moody cup cars bud Moore cars even my old 69 t/ a boss 302.oil coolers are mounted in front or off to the side of the radiator with air ducted to the cooler.

TA28

TMO Intermediate
Reaction score
c&r made the fr500c radiator with oil cooler in them. my oil temp after session is 245 coming off track.chris

TMO Supporting Vendors