The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil coolers and radiatores..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
On my tracked Boss I put a 915 and 925 setrab oil coolers in front of the rad. The 925 above the bumper, and the 915 below, both in fresh air. The temp. delta is greater inbetween the Oil coolers and the ambient air temps then the Radiator and the incoming air....So is having the hotter oil coolers infront of the radiador making the rad much less efficient? Should the oil coolers really go behind the rad?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think so. It's also why I wouldn't put one under the bumper in front. It would definitely be heating the cold side of the radiator flow.

Does the hot oil go to the top/925 first? For the two coolers up front, that would be 'better' than the other way around.

There isn't a lot of room behind the radiator...or I would have done it myself.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Aren't oil temps normally higher than coolant temps? If so, the delta would always be higher for oil. How much difference is there between the respective deltas? (Delta of the deltas...)
Yes. The difference will depend on the locations of the respective oil coolers. In series, the first cooler will always be hotter than the second. The radiator has a temp gradient across it. Putting the first and hotter oil cooler in front of the colder side of the radiator would decrease performance of the system overall.

ny
look at all old race cars ac cobra, Holman moody cup cars bud Moore cars even my old 69 t/ a boss 302.oil coolers are mounted in front or off to the side of the radiator with air ducted to the cooler.

Utah
There was an FR500C C&R radiator that sold on eBay a few months ago and it had the integrated cooler. I would have bought it, had I known at the time I would be replacing my radiator between track days this month. Looked like a slick unit.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
what info are you looking for. i have 3 c&r radiator for fr500c 1 new in the box .chris
How efficient are these exactly...? Anybody know? Better than a fluidyne and a setrab 948?

ny
How efficient are these exactly...? Anybody know? Better than a fluidyne and a setrab 948?
can't compare but my fr500c water temp never went above 195 water and oil 245 degrees.this was 90 degree day at glen 30 min session appx 12 15 laps .

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
can't compare but my fr500c water temp never went above 195 water and oil 245 degrees.this was 90 degree day at glen 30 min session appx 12 15 laps .
I'm doing a Coyote swap and I believe they run hotter.
I had my supercharged 3 valve under control but the coyote is a new experience for me.

ny
I think they used same rad in boss s and r cars. but not 100%sure. I bought used rad from jbs motorsport might have been from his boss car

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I think they used same rad in boss s and r cars. but not 100%sure. I bought used rad from jbs motorsport might have been from his boss car

I seem to remember that the that the FR500C is about 100 hp less? Makes me thinks this would not be ideal on the coyote.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
As a package it would be ideal. But if you add up the costs, its probaby behind a decent rad and a Setrab 948 as far as btu pero dollar goes.

might be sour grapes as I can't afford one right now.....

TMO Supporting Vendors