The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Filter Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
always amazes me that Ford stepped away from the venerable FL 1A filter for their newer engines. The FL 500 filter seems so small in comparison. Is anyone installing a larger filter in their cars? Is there a longer filter available with more filter area or am I just paranoid? Are larger filter elements better or not?

John

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Interesting information that we have gathered so far...

[pdf]http://home.comcast.net/~ejneary/Documents/oilfilters.pdf[/pdf]

John

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Some feedback from Purolator regarding the 500S vs 820S filter and shelf life from another forum.... Looks like the 500S is specified due to increased burst strength due to higher revving engine and thus higher oil pressure at revs?

"When comparing performance of the FL500S and the FL820S, the filter performance is the same for efficiency and capacity. The FL500S has a higher hydrostatic burst rating. We do not recommend storing extended years of oil filters due to concern of aging of the media and the gasket. I would recommend no more that 2-3 years and would seal the product, keep it in a climate controlled environment. Do not store in open air as humidity will not only attack the media over time but also the metal components."

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
jneary said:
Interesting information that we have gathered so far...

[pdf]http://home.comcast.net/~ejneary/Documents/oilfilters.pdf[/pdf]

John

Old Thread, but valuable information that prevented me from using a non-spec oil filter on my 5.0l U Code Boss engine.

I had a new parts counter guy at my Ford Dealer and even though I offered him the Boss VIN and he said, "Ah don't need it" as he tapped on his computer! I purchased 9 qts 5W50 Full Syn MotorCraft oil and he gave me a FL820S oil filter.

It was exchanged today for the FL500S due to the chart above. Flow Rate and Relief Valve PSI.

Good information,
Thanks,
Dave

I've been using the Mobil 1 212 filter. Been told it's the same as K&N except the M1-212 is made in USA and the K&N is made in Mexico. Anyone have any input on this?

The Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 is a great filter, especially if you track the car. Based on the specifications Ford Racing sent me last year, it has a large 283 sq in synthetic media area, flow rate of 13 gpm at 7.3 psi, goes into bypass at 17-23 psi, and has a burst pressure of 626 psi.

TMO Supporting Vendors