The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok I’ve searched and searched and just want to see what you u guys use for oil filters. Im also confused at which ford racing filter fits is the fl500s better than the fl820 so I have no idea I usually use a wix one but after reading it seems like there not the best for the 5.0.
Sorry if this has been covered I just want to Get the right one

thanks

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You can always contact Capaldi Racing and ask them about the best Ford filter. Seems to be good to stock up with 2-3 at a time, because for some reason they get low ( Nationwide ) at times. Capaldi has worked ( directly ) with Ford for years, are a Ford Performance Dealer and sell 90% of the stuff we all want - TMO sponsor and super knowledgeable folks!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Perfectly fine and I just got back from a little drive up and back to your State --- Plover, just South of Stevens Point. Pretty State even though still mostly brown , and have visited there many times. Worth the trip just to get me some Cheese curds, ha.

I have been using the FL500S primarily because it fits with my oil cooler sandwich plate. It clears the brace just below it by about 3/8" of an inch. I do change my oil and filter before every track day event which has been typically about 8 per season. I watched a video on YouTube that compared many filters and the Wix filters were rated pretty high but that is just one opinion.

Utah
With my 3V I was an avid user of the FL820. With my 5.0, it was a little too large for the sandwich plate I use for my oil cooler and the seal reached the edge. The diameter of the seal is larger than the FL500S.

I now use the K&N 2011 replacement filter.

TMO Supporting Vendors