The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil leak from rear end

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys, wondering if you can help.

This is my first Mustang (2012 S197 GT) and I noticed a small pool of oil on the floor in the garage where the rear of the car sits.
I jacked the car up and could see a a fair amount of sprayed everywhere. The oil looked red and had that distinctive smell.

I've read about the rear ends puking oil when driven hard but i think this is definitely leaking. I have included some pictures to show you what i'm seeing.
I was thinking about getting the Cortex watts link in the future but I may order it soon and have it installed when having the leak fixed.

Thanks!

leak7.jpg
leak2.jpg
leak5.jpg
leak4.jpg
leak3.jpg
leak1.jpg

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
The back of the diff looks fairly dry . its likely the front seal and its flinging off the drive shaft. Is that a factory exhaust ...looks really tight to the axles on each side. Maybe even rubbing on the left side.

FWIW, the Watts is a cover leak waiting to happen, unless you are willing to have the diff surfaced along with the new cover, then drill and dowel the thing so you have to pound the thing off when you service it, don't bother.
With regards to your leak, it seems to me that the cars that still have the stock driveshafts seem more prone to leaks than the ones equipped with an aluminum shaft. I don't know if it's some type of harmonics or what and I can't give you stats on that, it's just an observation. That exhaust appears to be Gt500ish, and it is definitely a tight fit, but I don't think that is the cause of your seal failure.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors