The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil leak help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have noticed twice now a small oil leak where the filter meets up to the block. Its a small trickle, that seems to seep when the motor is under load. Doesn't seem to be leaking when the car is off and sitting, as it sits in the garage often. I have looked the best that i can, and can't see any leaks from the oil lines that go to and from the cooler or any other spots.

It will seep enough that oil will collect on the wind detector and pool, causing a small oil spot when the car is moved.
I have been using the ford performance oil filter CM-6731-FL820, in place of the normal filter that goes on the boss. been doing this for a while and have not noticed any issues until these last two times. I checked last time to make sure that the old rubber ring wasn't left on the block when changing filters, and also make sure i lube the new rubber with some oil. Not sure what else it may be causing it. I usually hand tighten the filter, then give it a few extra snug ups.

Any one notice this or experience this before? Do you think is it may by that the oil isn't warmed up yet and not making a good seal until everything starts to expand?

It's been a while since i've been under there, but I believe there's an oil temperature, or pressure, sensor around the filter. Have you checked if that sensor threaded connection is leaking, instead of the filter seal?

Found a pic online that shows the sensor location around the filter.
20140406_124045_zps776dddbe.jpg

have the sensors been known to leak up there? I can kinda see it up above my filter, but haven't really looked at it. When i wipe the filter off, i don't get any oil up top. just seems to be on the under side of the filter where it seats. i will take a closer look at the sensor after i take the filter off.

Nope, not that I've heard of. But I haven't seen a case where the filter has leaked, other than the instance where the old seal was left of the cooler, which you've checked for.

Other suspects would be a leaky oil cooler, or loose nipple, where the filter threads onto.

thank you for the insight. ill have a look see and then probably follow up with the dealer.

For what it's worth, I had allot of problems with the FR oil filters leaking. I've changed oil a million times over the years so I'm not new to the operation. I have gone back to the FL-500s and have had zero problems since. I'm not perfect, but one of the times when I had a leak was when the dealer changed the oil. For me, this was a bit too much so I've gone back to the FL-500.

By no means am I going to sit hear and blame Ford Racing for this; it could be that the gasket on that filter takes more torque to seal than the average filter. There have also been some other cases reported by other users of the FR filter.

My experience has been, I had 3 different "leakers" on 2 different cars using the FR filter. 0 leaking with the FL-500 or FL-820S.

If it were me, I would change out the filter and check and see if the leak goes away. It's cheap and easy to do and in the long run, you can at least rule out one possible cause.....

Thanks,
BT

I have a suspicion its the filter as well, but wanted to see that the consensus is out there. The point of the FR filter was basically for improved operation in race application. Everything else I've seen seems to be more for normal driving conditions. Anything out there that is comparable to the FR filter, or would you suggest just running the normal unit for the car?

Not trying to open the debate up about filters and whats better etc fyi...

Shaun, the FL-500 is a great filter. The FR is as well. I change my oil more often than most or at least with less miles than most since my Boss is not a daily driver. For the price and availability, I sleep soundly using this filter.......

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think pictures from your car would help a lot!

There are several places for potential leaks. Between: Block-adapter-cooler stack-filter, and from the adapter to the sensor.

Probably would have. Already past the point of no return, but honestly it was a little trickle down the bottom side of the filter where it meets the base. Ill try and post some when it starts again.

Grant 302

And the filter is the low point for all of it. Could be coming from anywhere above.

At the very least, I'd change the filter. You don't have to change the oil, but I'd also wipe everything clean if the problem isn't found when the filter comes off.

this may sound stupid, but wouldn't all of the oil pour out when i remove the oil filter with out draining the oil first?
i always drain the oil then remove the filter due to that impression.

Grant 302

Shaun12 said:
this may sound stupid, but wouldn't all of the oil pour out when i remove the oil filter with out draining the oil first?
i always drain the oil then remove the filter due to that impression.

Not a stupid question! At rest, most of the oil is in the pan. There is a bit in the oil galley and you will lose what's in the filter, but that's all. You shouldn't lose more than a quart even with the larger filter.

Most people don't do filter only changes, but I do once in a while and have in the past for new or rebuilt engines.

If you are using the Mishimoto adaptor with thermostat in the picture, the hex on the cap holding the tstat in holds the Ford racing filter up just enough to seep. I could not get the flat of the cap to line up with the adapter. The Ford racing filter is a bigger OD than the FL-500. I mentioned this to Mishimoto to fix and they were just arrogant to deal with. Either grind the point off the hex or have to only use the FL-500

TMO Supporting Vendors