The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Leak!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, was pulling out of the garage today and noticed a huge oil leak. Can some let me know how I can upload photos?

I was in for an oil change yesterday and everything seemed fine. The usual, Ford Racing filter, Mobil 1 oil, completed at the dealer I bought the car from. I then drop the car about 160 km's. I did not notice anything abnormal, no lights, no warnings. I woke up this morning, took the car out of the garage and there was a huge puddle of oil underneath it. I drove it to the end of the driveway and parked it on the road. After getting the car flatbed towed to the dealer, they could not find anything wrong with the filter/install. Installed a new filter and topped the oil and I was on my way. Anyone have this happen to them before? Dealer said I lose about 1L of oil in total, and from the amount sitting on my garage floor, driveway, and street, seems like it happened overnight.

I wonder how much I have hurt the car from all this.

And if we really want to start digging into it, the only abnormal thing I have noticed recently is a ticking when I accelerate. Note I have my center console removed for an MGW install this weekend, and I get a faint tick tick tick every time I accelerate, regardless of gear chosen. I am not sure this would even be noticed with the center console installed, but it is definitely something I have noticed recently (my center console has been off for weeks so I didn't hear it before). I also feel like it gets louder as the car gets hotter (note outside temperature in Toronto has risen to about 25C in the last couple days, before this it was 10-12C) and my run time nears 1 hour. This sound was present yesterday, and even today on the drive back from the dealer. Dont know if its related, but I guess its worth mentioning. Aside from this, I am lost for an explanation.

If the dealer installed the oil plug and filter correctly then you would have no leak. IMO, they are bullshitting you and they didn't tighten something enough. If you can, get under the car and look around just to make sure the leak actually came from the drain plug or filter, just in case they didn't screw up and there is actually a leak, which I doubt since they "didn't find anything"...

IMO they found something. If they admitted they found something, then they would be liable. Honesty is in short supply these days, so if you find a dealer or garage that are honest and fair, stick with them.

isrboss

A big puddle would suggest they double gasket the oil filter. What area under the car was the leak at? Was it near the oil plug or the oil filter? They did obviously do something wrong, oil is supposed to stay in the motor or come out the tailpipe.

isrboss said:
A big puddle would suggest they double gasket the oil filter.

Bingo. That would be my guess. If not that, then they under tightened either the filter or the plug.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
isrboss said:
A big puddle would suggest they double gasket the oil filter. What area under the car was the leak at? Was it near the oil plug or the oil filter? They did obviously do something wrong, oil is supposed to stay in the motor or come out the tailpipe.

+2

Seldom happens and easy to catch IF the tech is not in a hurry. The gasket on the old filter remains on the block or filter mount. Happens once every blue moon.

At the very least, if they checked it, said it is ok, and now the leak is gone. They discovered they screwed up, fixed it and are hoping it doesnt cost them a motor replacement. If you have issues now, get it documented right away.

Almost sure that was a filter issue. They are hard to get to and it just takes a 1/4 or 1/2 turn or lack there of to have an issue.

Thanks for the input guys. All of the oil was pretty much right under the filter and it was pouring out when the engine was on. I think that amount of oil could only come from a faulty filter install. I have documentation for everything including the old filter. The dealer gave me a smirk when he told me I didnt purchase the filter from them. I replied by saying that it is a Ford Racing filter, regardless of where I got it from. If I do have a problem, the filter is going to Ford for inspection. If it leaks, they pay for the new engine, if it doesnt leak, well then the dealer picks up the bill. Either way, I have a lawyer ready, and somebody is going to pay for a new engine if it comes to that. For now, the car is running fine, no leaks.

However, I was going to start a separate thread for this ticking issue I am having under acceleration. Its like a metallic tick, and I didn't have it before. Any thoughts? Remember, my center console has been removed for the time being, and I am getting the tick in any gear during low rpm revs. Thanks.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Man, that dealer sucks! I'm sure they effed something up and didn't tell the truth about the amount of oil lost.

This is why I don't let anybody touch any of my cars.

Hope everything works out for you.

isrboss

Yep, if you have the place to do your own maintenance, do it yourself. Just document the date, mileage and the receipts, that way there is no warranty issues. However, if you take your vehicle to the same place for all your maintenance. Then you end up building a relationship with that shop, and them blaming it on anyone besides themselves becomes impossible.

As far as the ticking issue, have you put the center console back on to see if all sounds normal to your ears?

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
As far as the metallic ticking, i have that also. I especially can hear it when i am in tunnels and am either slightly on or slightly off the throttle. It sounds like a ticking in the exhaust system or side pipes flexing but sounds kinda like when the old catalytic converters used to tick after thy got really hot. Is that what you are hearing?

John

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jneary said:
As far as the metallic ticking, i have that also. I especially can hear it when i am in tunnels and am either slightly on or slightly off the throttle. It sounds like a ticking in the exhaust system or side pipes flexing but sounds kinda like when the old catalytic converters used to tick after thy got really hot. Is that what you are hearing?

John
I have the tick as well. so does forceofwill. I think its the ac compressor. there is a TSB out on it

You guys are awesome. This is why I love this forum.

Honestly, I first thought the ticking was because of the filter, but then it was still around after the filter was replaced. The only constant is ambient temperature. I did a lot of afternoon last week, and it seemed that the ticking was very pronounced when the weather was warm.

Would the AC ticking increase as you accelerate? I did have the AC on at times during the heat. Can someone post some info on the TSB, I couldn't find anything.

If its related to the cats, I guess I wont hear after the new exhaust install.

Thanks again guys.

Sarosh

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
sadil said:
You guys are awesome. This is why I love this forum.

Honestly, I first thought the ticking was because of the filter, but then it was still around after the filter was replaced. The only constant is ambient temperature. I did a lot of afternoon last week, and it seemed that the ticking was very pronounced when the weather was warm.

Would the AC ticking increase as you accelerate? I did have the AC on at times during the heat. Can someone post some info on the TSB, I couldn't find anything.

If its related to the cats, I guess I wont hear after the new exhaust install.

Thanks again guys.

Sarosh
have a look at this thread
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/329348-brand-new-tsb-tick-engine-knock-jan-18th-2012-a.html

TMO Supporting Vendors