The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Pressure and Oil temp Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Guys trying to mount an Oil pressure sensor. Most look to do it in the factory location with a T fitting. What has everyone else done? Also has anyone removed the factory pressure sensor?

Also I have the option of putting both onto my Mishimoto Oil Cooler Sandwich plate, But which one would go where?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I would think you would want the OP sender location on the main oil supply galley which is located were you mentioned, (right side of block above oil filer and behind the alternator.

As far as OT, I would think a good location is at the oil supply side of the filter, (after oil cooler or coolers) before oil supply to the main oil galley. Knowing the oil supply temps allows you time to lay off throttle until oil temps recover to normal operating range.

I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from our members here.

Keep us posted,
302 Hi Pro

PS Ford does make a sender to replace the OEM sender in its original location that supports both oil pressure and the dash light. Let me know if you need that PN.

2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
I would think you would want the OP sender location on the main oil supply galley which is located were you mentioned, (right side of block above oil filer and behind the alternator.

As far as OT, I would think a good location is at the oil supply side of the filter, (after oil cooler or coolers) before oil supply to the main oil galley. Knowing the oil supply temps allows you time to lay off throttle until oil temps recover to normal operating range.

I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from our members here.

Keep us posted,
302 Hi Pro

PS Ford does make a sender to replace the OEM sender in its original location that supports both oil pressure and the dash light. Let me know if you need that PN.

2HP

Hi Pro,

Would love that P/N, in the process of coming up with something myself.

What about using a sandwich plate for temp and pressure. Any downsides to that?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
NorCal
I would like that P/N as well, if you could just post it instead of PM. Thanks

I would not worry about the factory sensor if you are running an aftermarket gauge. Just run the aftermarket sensor in the factory location. Also, I would run the oil temp sensor in the part of the sandwich plate before the oil gets to the cooler. I want to know what the temp of the oil is before it gets cooled.

The factory one has no use from what I have seen.

Has anyone personally removed theirs?

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
The OP sender P/N is CR3Z-9D290-A and looking at it again, it is a 3 lead sender.

Pic of the FRPP wiring harness pre-connector install:

20160220_183105_zps4j41f3ol.jpg

Pic of the installed supplied connector:

20160220_185357_zpsqw7xpuhg.jpg

With the FRPP LS gauge kit, (AutoMeter gauges), this is wired in conjunction with the IP wiring harness, pin connector #5, (CMC24 switch OP). 22 gauge wire and color is Grey, (GY).

But, always use the sender installed in your gauge kit.

302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
I installed the Ford Performance Boss 302 LS gauge pack this past winter, and as it turns out, happy I went with the OEM setup.

Now that summer is here, it is interesting to note the differences in OP at start up. With ambient temps in the mid 50's the OP pegs the needel at 100 psi, with ambient temps in the 80's OP at idle is 88 psi, due to the oil viscosity differences.

I've always known that oil takes longer to come up to operating temps, and I can see this difference now with the OP v. CHT coolant temps. OP runs at 22-24 psi at idle at proper operating temps in 80's. Coolant temps with my U-Code runs in the 190 - 200 degrees and it takes about 2.5 times longer for oil temps to come up to normal operating temps.

Still thinking about installing the Ford Logo AutoMeter oil temp gauge, I just need to think about where I can tap in to data feed point.

2016 is my 5th year of Boss ownership, and happy to report that she is running stronger than ever, and she still turns heads along the way.

302 Hi Pro

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sandwich plate.

If you want the worst-case numbers, put the pressure sensor on the return line from the cooler and the temp sensor on the port going to the cooler.

TMO Supporting Vendors