The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Priming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Completely depress the gas pedal and turn the key to the on position. In my 2013, I can let go of the gas and key and the car will crank. I read here somewhere that after about 10sec, the pump creates enough pressure to prime the engine. Once done, turn the key to the off position, then start normally. The car should fire right up!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
For my '11 and '12:
Depress clutch and mat gas pedal and crank. Lift gas when oil idiot light goes off. Engine will fire when you lift the gas.

Grant 302 said:
For my '11 and '12:
Depress clutch and mat gas pedal and crank. Lift gas when oil idiot light goes off. Engine will fire when you lift the gas.

I had heard this way of doing the priming, I would be scared that the engine would fire up at WOT :eek:, I guess trusting the electronic's is a must on this one. Is there a fuse or sensor I could unplug, thanks for your help.

FrenchBoss said:
I had heard this way of doing the priming, I would be scared that the engine would fire up at WOT :eek:, I guess trusting the electronic's is a must on this one. Is there a fuse or sensor I could unplug, thanks for your help.

It will work.

You could look into the fuel pump fuse. But I'm guessing the engine would still get enough residual fuel to start.

Just put both feet to the floor and crank. It's a built in feature on all OBD II vehicles for years now.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
This process is part of my spring startup procedure as I don't start the engine during winter storage.

I have noticed that with both pedals to the floor, my Boss continues to crank when I release the key and I have to turn the key to the off position to stop the starter from cranking.

The oil light on the dash goes off but my oil pressure gauge does not register any pressure reading during this process.

302 Hi Pro

For fun I tried this on my 350 and it worked fine As soon as I released the gas while continuously holding the start button it fired right up.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
VoodooBOSS said:
For fun I tried this on my 350 and it worked fine As soon as I released the gas while continuously holding the start button it fired right up.

Yes mine works like you described, but the next time you do this, turn the key to start position, let crank for 2-3 seconds, then release the key, (it flips back to on position), and do not lift pedals, see if it continues to crank with key in on position.

Then lift gas pedal and it starts, or turn key off to stop cranking.

302 HP

I'm sure I will be "Corrected", but the engine work, oil changes, etc that I have ever done required 1 of 2 things. 1). Crank the engine without start 2-3 seconds and key off. Repeat 2 or 3 times. Oil pressure on a gauge will come up. 2). Use an oil primer either home made or bought and watch that oil pressure gauge. Either way if you have pressure on your gauge you are good. And I do come from the age of carbs and points. Happy starting. :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Pull the ignition fuse in the engine compartment. It's the number 19 fuse. Pressing the gas pedal to the floor also works but if you're afraid of that not working pulling the fuse is a fail safe. Good luck

Adam

No need to pull a fuse This functions on my 2012 Boss, my son's 2013 F150 and my neighbor tried it on his 2009 F150, works also. So apparently this is built into the ECM programs which shuts off injectors when throttle is 100% and key is in the start position.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
FrenchBoss said:

It won't fire at WOT! Gotta trust the Ford engineers on this one. :) Or the fact that many of us use this handy feature...

Im faced with this issue with a brand new Boss motor that has sat for a long time. I as well changed the oil pan with the Moroso. Contacted Ford and asked what i should do to prime the motor. There is a priming tank that Melling and a few other knock offs that plugs in your oil pressure port that will be a direct feed into the bottom end bearings, up to one cylinder head,through the oil pump, and into the other cylinder head. I could be wrong on that.The Melling tank holds 4 quarts. Works off of compressed air. Im going to do this, along with pulling the cam covers and coating everything up there with appropriate lube. I think the dry start procedure with clutch and gas pedal all the way down with cycling the engine to prime is something I'm going to do as well. My race car has the Ford Racing control pack so its obdII based. Fingers crossed. I don't want to hurt anything on start up.

TMO Supporting Vendors