The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil pump upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
For a regularly tracked Boss with only a tune and LTH's as far as the engine goes.... Would the CJ oil pump setup be a wise upgrade?? or would the stock unit be ok. I have over 32,000 miles so far on the car.

the one I was looking at is "Ford Mustang Ford Racing Billet Steel Gerotor Oil Pump" part number...MPN# M-660050-CJ

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup, I guess that goes under the Christmas tree. Now the Wife just asks "what are you getting yourself this time for Christmas?" The set of R7"s will b harder to explain!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Do it.

Get the Ford Performance assembly and sleep soundly. ArizonaBoss runs this and puts it to the test on a regular basis.

This part is too important to to risk improper fit/function. The Ford Performance unit is the only one I have seen on the market that is pressure/flow tested. Just my opinion....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=828&viewfile=Oil%20Pump.pdf

The torque steps on the pump itself are critical. The timing chain stuff all seems intimidating but if you follow the directions it's actually very easy.

Jeebus, $600+! I would just get the gears at that point since the TSS gears are $385.00 and put them in yourself. From what I was able to find the bolts on the oi pump housing are torqued to 90 in/lbs. also, I believe the oil pump bolts may be TTY bolts since you have to torque them an additional amount of degrees.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I was watching on the phone so did not hear it. But do you have the pro comp gauges that light up red when low or high limit settings are hit? It doesn't look like it. Should get them for oil pressure and coolant temp at least. They grab your attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
voodoo child21 said:
I was watching on the phone so did not hear it. But do you have the pro comp gauges that light up red when low or high limit settings are hit? It doesn't look like it. Should get them for oil pressure and coolant temp at least. They grab your attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those gauges don't have a very bright alert (speedhut brand gauges, I need to upgrade lines or get something like the pro-comps) In this case the driver had no idea (not me, though its absolutely just as likely that I'd not see the alert or be able to stop in time). Obscured from view is the racecapture tablet, but it doesn't provide a bright enough alert, but I can trigger an external LED. So the gameplan is to put a couple LED's on the steering wheel column bracket for critical warnings.

My point being is just the factory gears are a gamble when pushing an engine hard.

8zT0KHYl.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Yeah after seeing your experience I'm finally convinced. I got my CJ pump yesterday. Cool thing is it actually has it's own engraved serial number CM-890 is mine. They must somehow match gear sets to housings to increase the flow rate.
As far as the warning, I was thinking that if the driver was able to see the bright warning then maybe he could have clutched it and shut it down before the oil starvation damage occurred. From your other posts it didn't appear that debris damage occurred.
Steve

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Damn. That gauge was painful to watch. :(

I would like to see what you come up with for a dash warning light.

I've said to people that a pressure gauge isn't 'needed' on track because you don't have or take the time to look at it, and that a big warning light is all you'd need...and even then it's just to tell you you're done.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
If you listen hard enough, you can hear the "snap" of my wallet's back breaking at 1:31

Watch the little gauge on the left on the center stack.

Good lord that was disheartening

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel