The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Temp Sensor Location

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
Which cooler setup are you using? I have the FRPP one in-line with the factory Boss cooler, I don't want to add another sandwich plate and I'm not going to drill my pan (at this point) :eek:

If I am not mistaken, I believe Steveespo does not have the boss 302 oil to water cooler, just the Ford Racing cooler. Is this correct Steve?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
06mach1 said:
If I am not mistaken, I believe Steveespo does not have the boss 302 oil to water cooler, just the Ford Racing cooler. Is this correct Steve?
No I have both the water to oil and air oil coolers in series. I believe that the water to oil cooler actually helps warm the oil up with the coolant rise and that the air to oil cooler takes over at 190 degrees to remove excess heat. At Watkins Glen this weekend I ran 237 degrees oil temp max and 225 average during 7 sessions in 70-85 degree weather.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
This is the one I used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AN-10-Aluminum-Oil-Cooler-Filter-Sandwich-Adapter-Plate-for-Mercury-Ford-Trucks-/110836766506?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ce62d72a

Steve

THANKS!!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
steveespo said:
This is the one I used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AN-10-Aluminum-Oil-Cooler-Filter-Sandwich-Adapter-Plate-for-Mercury-Ford-Trucks-/110836766506?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ce62d72a

Steve
got a line on one that caps off instead of sandwiches for a filter relocation setup? I could look, but i'm lazy ;D

I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere on this forum, but is there no factory oil temp sensor as part of the OBD-II engine electronics? My 2006 F150 dog/tow vehicle has an Edge programmer http://www.edgeproducts.com/ and one of the readouts is oil temperature (along with a bunch of other parameters) and it is just a plug-and-play device into the OBD-II port. Obviously the engine in the truck is altogether different that the Boss engine, but if engine oil temp is part of what's read by the engine computer (even if there is no factory gauge), there would need to be a factory sensor somewhere. Or not ???

For those that want to pick up oil temps you can add a T-fitting to your OEM port for oil pressure and place your temp pick up there. It will work great and there's no need to modify the pan.

The OEM cooler - contrary to what has been stated here, is surprisingly effective. If for example you data log track oil temps with this OEM set-up and then subsequently repeat the same datalogging with a modestly-sized (aka Ford Racing oil-to-air cooler), you are going to see very comparable results - perhaps the winner being the OEM set-up. This isn't conjecture. We did this test.

If you want to IMPROVE oil temps, it is imperative that you run the two in series. The bigger the oil-to-air heat exchanger, the better - and watch pressure drop specifications carefully. (There's a reason our kit is expensive.)

Finally, another myth is that the OEM cooler helps to warm-up the oil. It does not. Oil warm-up times are prolonged with the OEM cooler in place.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
This is the one I used

Steve

I ordered this last night, btw. Thanks again.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel