The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Temp Sensor Location

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where is the best place to mount an oil temp sensor?

Jimmy Pribble said:
By my reckoning, the OEM oil "cooler" doesn't do jack, so mount it wherever you please. ;)

Hey Jimmy,

Curious to know - why do you say that?
Now you're making me worried that the factory cooler is a false sense of security!

boro92 said:
Hey Jimmy,

Curious to know - why do you say that?
Now you're making me worried that the factory cooler is a false sense of security!

Fair enough. In recent years, I have spent a lot of time driving and racing turbocharged (7200 rpm) Audi quattros. They have all had oil coolers (some were even cobbled together from old Mercedes diesel cores and generic hoses) and they have all "taken a set" on track and not budged. Cool runnings for miles and miles. As you can see from the video I just posted in the "Confluence - Gauge Page" thread, I was able to generate high enough oil temps to get a CEL in the Boss and all I did was drive in a low gear on the highway for just a couple of minutes. Nothing more. That is ridiculous. There is no convincing me that the OEM oil cooler is doing anything substantive.

I plan to go to the track on Sunday and now that I have an oil temp gauge working, I will be able to report back with more data. I promise it won't be good.

Check the other oil cooler threads for the findings of other folks on this forum.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I need to know this as well before I assemble my engine. my searching has shown low in the pan is the best place to put it. I was kind of hoping to be able to put it with the pressure sensor teed into the oil filter adapter with the factory pressure switch, but I can't confirm I would get an accurate reading in that location?

NJ
The Cooltech kit has a nice location right on the Greddy remote filter adapter/thermostat:) But in all seriousness why not just buy a sandwich plate to go between the existing oil filter/cooler adapter and block with the 1/8" NPT ports?

CooltechRemoteMount_zps052130a5.jpg
CooltechRemoteMount2_zpsb7a66c92.jpg

I think the question is whether you want to know the temp of the oil going into the block after being cooled, or do you know what the temp of the oil is after it ran thru the block and enters the oil pan? It would be nice to see both, the temp of the oil in the pan and the temp of the oil entering the block. Mine is currently in a sandwich plate after the factory cooler and is measuring the temp of the oil entering the block. I have seen 265 degree oil temp at that location. Would be nice to know what the temps are before entering the factory cooler, such as in the oil pan.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have my temp sensor plumbed in a sandwich plate on the pressure discharge side of the filter (spud) so it is oil from the sump and through the pump. This should be the hottest readable oil. That would be the temp I am most concerned with, if it is cooler after passing through the heat exchanger, then that's great. Submerged in the sump is good as well, just not as practical unless you are already changing the pan.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Sorry guys. Steve and I had a side discussion on this and I'm going to go with his suggestion.

Can you forward me the details on that? I'm wondering where to put my oil temp sensor as well for the AIM system data.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I looked at my moroso pan and I have an extra port located low, so I will just go with that location. I would probably do the sandwich if I was going to have one already in a air to oil cooler kit, but since that is later, I didn't want to throw in a sandwich just for the temp port when I have one readily available in the pan. I really like the remote filter dealio in the cooltech kit though. I will have to incorporate this in my DIY kit later on!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ilesjohn said:
Why not just put a tee in where the oil pressure sensor is?
If you put it in a tee that is dead ended like the oil pressure sensor you don't get a flow of oil across the sensor. You will get temp reading for sure but not an accurate, real time updated for what the oil is either entering or exiting the oil pump or sump..Steve's idea of using the port in the sump is perfect, that is why it's there, I use the sandwich plate and the nose of the sensor is in the flow of oil as it leaves the pump and heads out to the oil coole, constantly sees fresh oil to rapidly update temperature. With Auto Meter pro Comp UltraLites the reaction is constant and readable to 2 degrees.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
If you put it in a tee that is dead ended like the oil pressure sensor you don't get a flow of oil across the sensor. You will get temp reading for sure but not an accurate, real time updated for what the oil is either entering or exiting the oil pump or sump..Steve's idea of using the port in the sump is perfect, that is why it's there, I use the sandwich plate and the nose of the sensor is in the flow of oil as it leaves the pump and heads out to the oil coole, constantly sees fresh oil to rapidly update temperature. With Auto Meter pro Comp UltraLites the reaction is constant and readable to 2 degrees.
Steve

Which cooler setup are you using? I have the FRPP one in-line with the factory Boss cooler, I don't want to add another sandwich plate and I'm not going to drill my pan (at this point) :eek:

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaGT said:
Which cooler setup are you using? I have the FRPP one in-line with the factory Boss cooler, I don't want to add another sandwich plate and I'm not going to drill my pan (at this point) :eek:
I replaced the Ford supplied plate with one I got on eBay for $39. Had the same 1/2" pipe ports for the cooler hoses with 2 additional 1/8" pipe ports that you can use for gauge sensor either on the outlet or inlet Seidel of the cooler or for a turbo or supercharger oil feed. The plate is anodized CNC machined aluminum and came with -10 AN fittings.
If you search eBay many will come up, our filters use M22 thread for the filter.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors