The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil temp to warm up time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone have an oil temperature gauge on their 302 and happen to know the temp ranges (@ ambient conditions) of their oil when the "track key enabled" chime occurs?

I would be very curious to know if the "track Key enabled" event has any correlation with proper oil temp (or not) for commencement of putting the engine to work (i.e., warm up driving no longer required).

I realize I should have an oil temp gauge to know this, but haven't done it yet.

Thanks.

I just installed an Aeroforce gauge and was driving my car yesterday with TK. It was in the 50's when I was driving and the chime for TK engine enabled happened at around 190. The more I drive with TK the more I like it. 8)

5 DOT 0 said:
I just installed an Aeroforce gauge and was driving my car yesterday with TK. It was in the 50's when I was driving and the chime for TK engine enabled happened at around 190. The more I drive with TK the more I like it. 8)

Yes, the silver key is now my spare...
- Thanks for replying.

BossJockey said:
I think it uses CHT but should be a good indication of when things are all warmed up and ready to go.

Apologies for my ignorance, but what does "CHT" refer to?
Thanks..

Cylinder Head Temp

Waiting on my voucher to show up for the red key install. Silver key suspects something, she keeps asking me why I am being distant and we don't talk anymore.

CaliMR said:
Cylinder Head Temp

Waiting on my voucher to show up for the red key install. Silver key suspects something, she keeps asking me why I am being distant and we don't talk anymore.

The engine feels a bit more snappy.
You'll like it!!

lbp said:
Does anyone have an oil temperature gauge on their 302 and happen to know the temp ranges (@ ambient conditions) of their oil when the "track key enabled" chime occurs?

I would be very curious to know if the "track Key enabled" event has any correlation with proper oil temp (or not) for commencement of putting the engine to work (i.e., warm up driving no longer required).

I realize I should have an oil temp gauge to know this, but haven't done it yet.

Thanks.
I have an oil temp sensor in route for my Aeroforce gauge and when it gets here it goes in with my FRPP air to oil cooler. I'll be able to answer your question very soon. Well.....it's snowing like crazy outside right now so very soon might be a relative term :mad:

lbp said:

Thanks.

From the Track Key PDF

What if the " TRACKEY IDLE / ENGINE ENABLED" message is never displayed but all
other TracKey features work?
• For lopey idle to be enabled, three conditions must first be satisfied. The first
condition is that 130 seconds must have elapsed since the engine coolant
temperature reached 170 °F (77 °C) while the engine is running. The second
condition is that the engine must not currently be idling (Note that it is sufficient
just to rev it up in neutral or drive away once the other conditions have been met
and lopey idle mode will be enabled). The third condition is that there must be no
detected failures of any PCM sensors. Specifically, this means lopey idle will be
disabled if any of the following is true:
 Misfire detected
 Air charge temperature sensor failure detected
 Cylinder head temperature sensor failure detected
 Ignition coil failure detected
 Crank sensor failure detected
 Throttle body control failure detected
 Cam position sensor failure detected
 Vehicle speed sensor failure detected
 Accelerator pedal sensor failure detected
 Mass Air Flow sensor failure detected
If lopey idle is not being enabled because the PCM is detecting misfires, it may
be necessary to have your dealer perform a neutral profile learn procedure.

cloud9 said:
lbp said:

Thanks.
I have an oil temp sensor in route for my Aeroforce gauge and when it gets here it goes in with my FRPP air to oil cooler. I'll be able to answer your question very soon. Well.....it's snowing like crazy outside right now so very soon might be a relative term :mad:

:D I feel your pain, :D although it is 45deg. today here in NJ & supposed to be 60 on Wednesday..

I will be interested to hear your feedback when mother nature cooperates!

TMO Supporting Vendors