The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Temperature question for 13 Boss and GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone,

For those of you who track your 2013 Boss or GT equipped with Track Apps does your Oil temperature read "High" or is in the red while racing? I have the boss 302 oil cooler and Boss 302S Radiator. Highest my cylinder head temperature has gotten is about 243*F, running with the oil in the "high" area of the gauge doesnt seem to hurt anything but I just want to double check that I'm not going to cause any damage to the motor. I plan on taking an oil sample later this week and reporting back with results.

Thanks,

Thierry

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Grant thanks for your response, The ambient was 95~. I'm using Amsoil 10w-30, I'm just surprised that the car didn't go in to limp mode or the dummy gauge for the water temp didn't budge the car ran strong the entire session.

Grant 302

I don't put much trust behind the dummy gauges, but I'm not running any aftermarket gauges yet. I do think our GTs have an easier time managing oil temps because of the piston squirters and the lower stock rev limit...but that might just be wishful thinking.

It also does concern me that the GTs may not go into limp mode early enough to really prevent engine damage or excessive wear.

I'd really like to see what your oil analysis shows. I probably should do one myself, but I'm hoping with the Boss oil cooler plus an Setrab 925, that I wouldn't have any issues with high oil temp on track.

Personally, I wouldn't run in the heat with any 30 grade oil. And that's based on oil and coolant temps reported by other guys here, and some of the data I have from using an IR temp gun under the hood. I think there are good reasons why the GT/TP cars have the same 5w50 as the Bosses.

Grant 302 said:
Personally, I wouldn't run in the heat with any 30 grade oil. And that's based on oil and coolant temps reported by other guys here, and some of the data I have from using an IR temp gun under the hood. I think there are good reasons why the GT/TP cars have the same 5w50 as the Bosses.

This. You have the exact same motor as a TP car, and Ford wants 5w50 in that application for a reason!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I ran oil analysis on my 2014 GT TP after 4500 miles on M1 5w50. Came back in good shape. I think I have the PDF printout posted on this forum somewhere... My car does not have the piston oil squirters as they got rid of that in 2013/2014, but the car has had no indicated cooling issues thus far. I need to get gauges installed soon though as I push the car more and more

Grant 302

DMichaels said:
My car does not have the piston oil squirters as they got rid of that in 2013/2014, but the car has had no indicated cooling issues thus far.

My understanding is that you have the squirters...and smaller/shorter head bolts (11mm). mmr and L&M have found squirters in disassembled 2013s.

Grant Im pretty sure they got rid to he oil squirters sometime in 2013 Maybe the early 2013's still had them. Any way staying on topic I will have an oil analysis taken from the car after this weekend's torture test, and post the results. I'm very interested in the results as well because it can show how far the GT engine can be taken in racing conditions.

I'll go through black stone since they have previous records of my car to compare to. Should I do the basic analysis or should I do the full PPM breakdown aswell?

Yes, running at Homestead I had this problem with very high oil temps even though the top end was fine with stock radiator. The stock oil cooler is basically useless and I can't figure out any reason Ford included it other than to say they added an oil cooler. I added the Ford Racing unit for the 302S which was recommended by others here as well as Ford Racing's technical support line. You could potentially build one yourself for less money but I'm not qualified to do that and my car is still under warranty so I wanted to mitigate any issues. Hence I had the Ford Racing unit installed by my local dealer. It works great for me and I would recommend it.

Grant 302

Track50h said:
I'll go through black stone since they have previous records of my car to compare to. Should I do the basic analysis or should I do the full PPM breakdown aswell?
The $25 basic gets you most of what you need, right? I'd only worry about getting the TBN if you're trying to figure out your change interval for a commuter car. I'm still looking for a lab who will test the HT/HS (150*C viscosity) of used oil...

Cartman said:
Yes, running at Homestead I had this problem with very high oil temps even though the top end was fine with stock radiator. The stock oil cooler is basically useless and I can't figure out any reason Ford included it other than to say they added an oil cooler. I added the Ford Racing unit for the 302S which was recommended by others here as well as Ford Racing's technical support line. You could potentially build one yourself for less money but I'm not qualified to do that and my car is still under warranty so I wanted to mitigate any issues. Hence I had the Ford Racing unit installed by my local dealer. It works great for me and I would recommend it.

I wouldn't call it useless. It take a pretty big cooler just to replace its cooling capacity. I'm mostly concerned about its reliability on track with all the cracked lines that have been reported.

And you're smart not to tackle building an add-on cooler kit if you don't have the mechanical skills!

Alright to those who are interested here is the oil analysis from blackstone. I was using amsoil Sig. 5w-30. CHT was in the 230-243 range depending on how hard I beat. For more information check out my first post. Overall I'm pleased with the performance I know a external cooler is in order but it seems like that oil held up pretty well with a novice-intermidiate driver behind the wheel.

P.S. I dont know how to post pics but below is a link to my dropbox so you can view the results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5joc8bboa9dyj3/Screen%20Shot%202014-07-23%20at%2010.46.59%20AM.png

-Thierry

Grant 302

Thanks for the follow-up. Wear looks normal. How much track time was this in hours?

Since you have the Boss oil cooler, if you aren't having heat issues on the coolant side, your oil is probably okay temp wise.

And I know it's a little off topic, but it was directly confirmed through Ford Racing that the squirters are only missing from some early '12 GTs.

Not sure exactly why, but Bosses seem to have a LOT more wear metal in UOAs, especially iron and lead.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel