The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Temperatures

For those of you that have installed an oil temp sensor, what kind of temps are you seeing? I installed a sender for my Aeroforce gauge and am just trying to make sure it's calibrated. I've only driven it on the street so far and it's been around 180 or so when ECT is around 192. I plan to start watching it a little closer to see how it behaves, but am curious what others are seeing.
 
In for updates. Do the LS cars have a temp sensor that their pod gauge reads? If so where is it mounted?
 
This morning when I started it up , ECT was at 68 and oil was at 48, ambient was 68, but both started going up predictably once started. I'm not sure if it's reading low, or just inaccurate when starting out cold. I'll keep watching it to see if there's a pattern.
 
Gary, Did you ever post what fixed the problem you were having when you first installed it? I would tweak the intercept value for the analog input to get it to read right when cold and then see how it tracks with the ECT.
 
BossJockey said:
Gary, Did you ever post what fixed the problem you were having when you first installed it? I would tweak the intercept value for the analog input to get it to read right when cold and then see how it tracks with the ECT.
Talking to the dealer, it sounds like it was wired incorrectly the first time. I am using the "6th order conversion" which they recommended to be more accurate than the linear conversion entering the slope and intercept. Looking at the graph in the pdf I linked, it makes sense that the cold temp is below actual temp, but quickly recovers.

[pdf]http://aeroforcetech.com/files/Aeroforce_Fluid_and_Air_sensor_kit_instructions.pdf[/pdf]
 
When your ECT reach 150F what does the oil temp read? Are you reading the oil temp before or after the oil cooler?

Have we ever figured out if the ODBII gauge ECT reading is calculated value from the CHT or the real CHT?
 
BossJockey said:
When your ECT reach 150F what does the oil temp read? Are you reading the oil temp before or after the oil cooler?

Have we ever figured out if the ODBII gauge ECT reading is calculated value from the CHT or the real CHT?
I'll watch it next time it reaches 150F to see where oil temps are at. I assume it's before the cooler, it's mounted on a "T" in the same location as the factory pressure sensor. The oil temp sender shares the same location as the pressure sensor.

I've been told it's a calculated value from CHT.
 
cloud9 said:
This morning when I started it up , ECT was at 68 and oil was at 48, ambient was 68, but both started going up predictably once started. I'm not sure if it's reading low, or just inaccurate when starting out cold. I'll keep watching it to see if there's a pattern.

I would think ECT, IAT (ambient) and oil temprature should all be within a few degrees of each other after an overnight cold soak.
 
BossJockey said:
Gary, Did you ever post what fixed the problem you were having when you first installed it? I would tweak the intercept value for the analog input to get it to read right when cold and then see how it tracks with the ECT.
Thanks for the input Jeff. Can you look at the instructions I attached in the post above and give me your interpretation of the intercept? I think I entered it as a positive 0.2051, but in Fig. 1 it shows y= 55.51x - 0.2051. I'm wondering if I need to enter the intercept as a negative value. My algebra is pretty good, but this concept is awful rusty. It's been 20 years since I've had to calcluate the slope of a line.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top