The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil type/ brand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I pretty much know that this is a dead horse beaten 100 times over both here and on other sites. With all the different oil's out there and everyone doing slightly different things with their cars, what's the best oil to use for the track and daily driving? I currently use the 5W50 Motor craft stuff just because that's what the book says and it what I get from ford. But I also see that it breaks down pretty quickly and really isn't good for DD and tracking if you track more than once on an oil change. I have seen that amsoil 10w40 tends to be a popular option. What do you guys tend to use? Does anyone know if ford actually uses 5w50 in their race cars, or do they switch it out with something that has better sheer protection?

skwerl

tree hugger
With the VCT I would stick with a 5w- oil. I've used Mobil1 for years because it's readily available locally and relatively inexpensive. It also works great and I have no reason to shop for something better. Over 160K hard miles on my pickup and it runs like a new one.

Consistent maintenance intervals are much more important than what brand of oil you use. But yes, I would stick with a premium brand 5w-50.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Your right dead horse. I use Mobil 1 or castrol. I stock up on both when they go on sale. Napa has Mobil 1 on sale all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin said:
Your right dead horse. I use Mobil 1 it castrol. I stock up on both when they go on sale. Napa has Mobil 1 on sale all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mobil1 is currently on sale at NAPA, so time to stock up!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Shaun12 said:
I have seen that amsoil 10w40 tends to be a popular option.

Popular? Swiss Boss ran it at the track and found that it didn't maintain adequate pressure at the track on a hot humid day.

I've thrown more than my 2 cents in on the subject over on SVTP. Not worth repeating here.

The original owner of my car had been running Amsoil 10w40 since mile 600. Car has 16,000 on it now and I'm going to use Motorcraft 5w50 or Mobil 1 5w50 out of ease of availability and my driving style.

I think more frequent oil changes can overcome an oils short comings at least for most street driving. Tracking the car at sustained high RPM and heat cycles will be different and each owner will have to access his/her needs.

skwerl

tree hugger
I used to stock up at NAPA when it was $5 per quart but now I just get the 5 quart jugs from Wal Mart. The regular Mobil1 synthetic is $24 and the extended life Mobil1 (gold cap) is $27. Works out being cheaper than NAPA's sale price and I don't have to stock up when it's on sale.

For filters I use Wix (NAPA Gold) which I buy online at fleetfilter.com. I add them to my order when I'm stocking up on filters for my work trucks.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
skwerl said:
I used to stock up at NAPA when it was $5 per quart but now I just get the 5 quart jugs from Wal Mart. The regular Mobil1 synthetic is $24 and the extended life Mobil1 (gold cap) is $27. Works out being cheaper than NAPA's sale price and I don't have to stock up when it's on sale.

For filters I use Wix (NAPA Gold) which I buy online at fleetfilter.com. I add them to my order when I'm stocking up on filters for my work trucks.

I have not found 5w-50 at Walmart.

Did you have to order it?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
F.D. Sako said:
From now on, if other oil threads pop up, just post this picture 8)

They have Boss engines coming and going!

Great picture, but I'm curious, what is the belt driven pulley running on the lower left side of the first engine?

Thanks,
Dave

302 Hi Pro said:

Great picture, but I'm curious, what is the belt driven pulley running on the lower left side of the first engine?

Thanks,
Dave

Resembles a power steering pulley, but no idea!

Cobra700 said:
My stash just came in! 8)

Now we know who to contact when there's a shortage.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
302 Hi Pro said:

Thanks,
Dave

Dry sump scavenge pump? 302S cars can run dry sump in World Challenge, didn't think 302R cars can in Continental Challenge.
Steve

It seems really nit-picky to get down to the level of allowing certain types of oiling systems and not allowing others and then allow a BARELY or completely non-production configuration car to compete. Money talks and cheater cars win. Sigh...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel