The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil Use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had the oil changed at 1700 miles.

Currently have 3700 miles and needed 3/4 of Quart.

2000 miles and used under 1 Quart.

Seems good to me, but I'm not an engineer.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
We (forum members) have seen fairly wide variations on oil use. Some engines seem to lose none (these are probably not tracked cars for the most part) and others are a little loose in usage. I lose about 1/4 qt. per track day, maybe a little less at times. The car doesn't see the street so I don't know what my consumption would be for normal street driving.

Did you burn any oil before the oil change at 1700? I burned 5+ quarts in 2500 break in street miles, burning more on highway trips than on mountain runs, and I have not burned a noticeable amount since then in 1000 miles including 2 track days. Forged pistons, per the general rule, burn oil in break in and then burn a little each time you start the car until it is warmed up, but as Pete said there has been quite a variation in reported oil use on these motors.

mine burnt exactly 1/2qrt every 1000mi for the first 2000mi. After 2000-2500mi it hasn't burnt any, and I'm very glad it has stopped, because car is daily driven.

CaliMR said:
Did you burn any oil before the oil change at 1700? I burned 5+ quarts in 2500 break in street miles, burning more on highway trips than on mountain runs, and I have not burned a noticeable amount since then in 1000 miles including 2 track days. Forged pistons, per the general rule, burn oil in break in and then burn a little each time you start the car until it is warmed up, but as Pete said there has been quite a variation in reported oil use on these motors.

Actually,no. I checked the level prior to the first change and asked the Service Tech to check it also later that day when I took the car in for the service.

I've run it considerably harder since the 1700 mile mark.

Not really worried about the use; thought it might be good to ask, since I've heard in times past of irregular oil consumption.

I'd just check the oil when you fill it up, or every couple times. Never hurts to check the oil and it is quick. From what I have read, there isn't really a reliable low oil light on this car and if driven hard most cars will burn a little.

Mine has burnt 7 quarts from march til August with 1 track day and 1800 miles of regular driving. Took her for an oil change. She burned almost a full quart moe in 800 miles. The dealership is aware of the problem and I'm checking it every 500 miles. When it's low I bring it back to the dealer and they top it off and if it keeps happening they will replace the engine. They told me burning 1 qt every 3000 miles is acceptable for these engines. 7 qts was not. Soon She's going away for the NY winter, so we will see what happens next year

I changed my oil at 1300 miles or so , changed oil with 20-50w motorcraft syn oil and fl500s filter , car hasn't used any oil at all , even during break in ,(now at 1500 miles) but mine is street driven only , I would think it would use some oil if track driven.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Unit5alive - I would strongly suggest that you only use 5W-50 full synthetic oil in the Boss, as recommended by Ford. In many engines the oil weight used has some level of variability based on the temps you drive in and the engine design. By spec, my son's 1999 BMW M3 can accept a wide range of oil viscosities with no issues. The Ford Roadrunner engine is different in that it uses oil pressure, as managed by the oil pressure solenoid, to control the VCT (variable cam timing). I have been told by Ford engineers directly that this design has a low tolerance for running outside of it's intended design range. I specifically do not know for sure if the difference between 5W-50 and 20W-50 is sure to cause an issue in your Boss, but I personally would not chance it - especially if you like to push the car the way it likes to be driven.

To bad that made in korea 550 oil shears by half in no time
And the only differance in ford spec oil is
Its low graphite ppm count in a vain attempt
To keep the wide band sensor alive longr

Ill stick with a solid oil base that maintanes
Its spec like a good oil should.
Currently running a 0-40 mobile one since its more of a
Light 50 weight anyways

No issues here....

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I ran Mobil 1 0W40 from 1500 - 17500 miles, now run Motul 300V 15W50 ester base synthetic. Both oils have been run with no adverse effect. I changed to the Motul after a 2 day session this summer at Summit Point where my oil pressure at idle dropped to 22 psi (normal is 29-31). I will run the Mobil during the off season as the Motul costs $12 a quart.
Steve

I added 1 quart in 2000 miles. I just changed the oil and put it away for winter storage.
I used mobile 1 5w50 from Ford as they stock that instead of motorcraft.

shuvl70

2013 Grabber Blue #216
AZ
Changed oil 5W-50 motorcraft and filter at 400 miles...( Old habit ) level was full as checked at delivery. Another 400 miles of mixed driving and the oil level remains full. No usage to date. ( Early build 2013 )

PeteInCT

Connecticut
No problem. First one for me also. You can see that others are not using 5-50 and not seeing issues. Its entirely possible that Ford 'strictness' on the proper oil weight is overstated but I'd rather be safe than sorry. As for the brand/ formula of oil used, if you change the oil as much as a lot of us do it's hard to believe there are vast differences in impacts to the engine IMO. I stay away from Royal Purple due to their graphite additives which supposedly can build up in the engine. Other than that I'm not sure how much it really matters ;D

shuvl70

2013 Grabber Blue #216
AZ
gremlinsteve said:
am i the only one that cringes when i hear that peopel keep using that oil?
its like using harley oil for your harley...but different

Thanks for your input, the second oil change was done by myself with the dealer supplying the $100 plus worth of oil and filter.
I'm not the guy with the 4 car garage filled with all the new Boss's, so $100 is a $100. I buy American made products every chance possible and will be using 5w-50 Mobile One forward.

Changing the oil at the first 400 miles with any 5w-50 oil is not an issue, I did the change out this early because I have built and restored Harley's for over 35 years and have seen what comes out of the oil after the first 200 miles of a fresh motor, metal to metal. "(Old Habit By Choice)"

Have also been using Harley oil "Exclusively" for all those years ( long before synthetics) without ever having an oil related issue, ( Pan Heads, Shovel Heads). The Twin Cam bike uses Mobile One 20w-50 synthetic for V-Twins.

The nice thing about choices is everyone has the power to make them independently of each other based on research and knowledge and should never rely on someone' else's opinion without due diligence.

TMO Supporting Vendors