The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know this has been covered before, my 2012 only has about 1300 miles on it. I just went to the dealer to inquire about my first oil change. As expected he said I am wasting my money as he feels the oil change should not be done for some time. What concerned me was that he actually told me to look into a better oil than ford. According to him it's a grade 3 synthetic vs. a full synthetic (grade 4). He said if it was his car he would look for royal purple or German Castrol.

Anybody else experience this? What's your opinion.

There are so many oil threads. It can make your head spin. I changed mine at 1K miles and used the Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic. Sure, there are probably better oils. But I just stick with the Motorcraft.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
lol you might have reopened pandora's box. subscribing to see the argument that will ensue over "ford makes the best oil in the world and it is what it was made to run on.....etc etc makes me smile"

BossTXB said:
There are so many oil threads. It can make your head spin. I changed mine at 1K miles and used the Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic. Sure, there are probably better oils. But I just stick with the Motorcraft.
Same here. I'll be changing my oil a lot more often than the recommendations and the Motorcraft will be fine.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
SL302 said:
He said if it was his car he would look for royal purple or German Castrol.

German Castrol only comes in 0w30 here in the states. I ran that in my Boss for two track weekends. Blackstone came back with good results, but it had already started breaking down. Methinks the Boss oil temps are pretty high.

Note: my car is 90% open track, 10% driving to the track ;)

I would not recommend RP... and that's all I'm saying on that (based on personal prior experience only).

Ford Specs a 5w50 for the Boss... only ones I've seen are RP, Castrol (non-german spec) and Ford Motorsport. I'm running Castrol and have not sent in a sample to Blackstone since the last change.

BossTXB said:

One thousand miles seems a bit unnecessary in my opinion, but it's your engine and that's OK.

We should always note, however, that when suggesting oil change intervals to always describe how we drive the car and under what conditions. Racing vs normal commuting, for instance, is an example of different conditions that call for different oil change intervals.

When I bought my car, it came with a coupon for a free first oil change. The coupon expires 4 months from vehicle purchase date. I plan on bringing it in a few days before expiration.

Bossfan said:
BossTXB said:

One thousand miles seems a bit unnecessary in my opinion, but it's your engine and that's OK.

We should always note, however, that when suggesting oil change intervals to always describe how we drive the car and under what conditions. Racing vs normal commuting, for instance, is an example of different conditions that call for different oil change intervals.

My FIRST oil change was at 1K miles because of personal preference ----- unnecessary, maybe so. As most of my driving is just street and highway, I likely won't change again until 4-5K. Also, I was not even recommending anything ------- I was just responding with what I did and what oil I used for my Boss.

I use Castrol 5w-50 changed after my first track day at 2100 miles and will change every 5k or after each track day, whichever comes first. As for Gen 3 vs Gen 4, well the opinions are many, but either will provide the protection needed provided you follow an oil change schedule that is appropiate to your driving style. BTW ford recommends an oil change after every competition event. Most of my track events are 150 plus miles on track in the extreme heat of Texas and 800 miles round trip, so an oil change is a must at that point IMO. With some well planned shopping trips to O'reilly Auto part and Advanced Auto parts I've reduced my oil change cost to $63 per change.

Oh hey guys, what's going on in here. An oil thread huh. Well time for my opinion then ;D

Change it as often as you want. Rumor is the Ford oil loses some viscosity after a couple thousand miles. I can't imagine they would use it (and iirc they changed to B spec because of the boss) if it was bad for the car. Make sure the oil you use "meets" the spec, words like exceeds are used when they do not technically meet the spec. I like Mobil 1 Extended Performance but it is not available in 5w-50 so I am using the OEM stuff. Don't like regular Mobil 1, there is a lot of history behind why but it is a pretty common feeling in the import turbo scene, which is probably a lot harder on oil than the Boss due to oil cooled turbos.

TMO Supporting Vendors