The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

On adjustments to the Tokico shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete, I was setting mine today for the track. I expected that it would start at 1 and end at 5. Mine just seem to spin all around so that when I dial to 5 it just keeps going 1, 2, 3..... does the system reset and just depend on the number or did I do something wrong. It was hard to see the numbers but I assume you put the two white dots on each side of the number you want? Thanks T.Roy

boss1 said:
Pete, I was setting mine today for the track. I expected that it would start at 1 and end at 5. Mine just seem to spin all around so that when I dial to 5 it just keeps going 1, 2, 3..... does the system reset and just depend on the number or did I do something wrong. It was hard to see the numbers but I assume you put the two white dots on each side of the number you want? Thanks T.Roy
I don't think you're supposed to keep twisting the knob beyond the range of the numbers. Do you remember how many times you twisted it? Can you back track your twists as it were? I'm careful not to move mine beyond the 1-5 numbers. Fortunately for me I have a 10 year old trunk monkey I take to the track with me and his eyesight is much better than mine. ;D

I do know that the "knob" will just keep going and going. However I don't know the consequences of going past 5. I have been told do not go past 5 when going up and do not go past 1 when going down...

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Im going to guess its not a screw mechanism so going past 5 brings you to 1. Just a guess....

Finally got around to playing with the dampers. I had a very Orwellian moment when I realized four clicks good, two clicks bad

Ok two clicks isn't bad, it just isn't as good. Car is a different animal now. Way more fun. Much more communicative through the pants. Didn't really help with steering wheel feel, but cranking up the tire pressure did a little. I think a set of sticky, stiff sidewall tires will get it pretty close to where it should be. Every car should have adjustable dampers ;D

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
adam81 said:
I do know that the "knob" will just keep going and going. However I don't know the consequences of going past 5. I have been told do not go past 5 when going up and do not go past 1 when going down...

Noticed this as well. My JIC/Cross were adjustable for both compression & rebound just like these but they had a stop at each end of the range. The rears also had remote extenstions so they were easy to adjust. They advised to turn all the way clockwise, (full stiff) then CCW to the setting you wanted. EZ!

Don't know how these really work on adjustment, I've just avoided turning past the 1 & 5 settings.

Would be nice if someone came up with a remote adjustment for the rear. I've found it easier to adjust the rears from the rear seat. Just get on the right side rear, drop the left side backrest, stick your head in till you can SEE the adjuster and have at it for the left rear shock. Reverse the process for the right side rear shock.

Can't help the LS guys, they have to keep their "trunk monkeys" close or devise a remote extension.

The Boss Supplement has some recommendations on settings on page 39. I'm using it for my first track day, then I'll dial it in once I have a feel for how the car responds on various tracks. Keep good notes!

Cheers!

Boomerstoys said:
Would be nice if someone came up with a remote adjustment for the rear. I've found it easier to adjust the rears from the rear seat. Just get on the right side rear, drop the left side backrest, stick your head in till you can SEE the adjuster and have at it for the left rear shock. Reverse the process for the right side rear shock.

Genius. I did it by feel of the detentes then used my camera phone to verify they were on the right number. Your solution is much better. Never had a car with foldable seats before, other than SUVs, so I never would have thought of that.

CaliMR said:
Boomerstoys said:

Genius.
That's brilliant. I haven't even folded down the rear seats yet (or used the windshield washers). LOL

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
SO there is a negative for the rear seat delete in an LS ;D

I have a better option - have your 20 year old crawl into the trunk and adjust them for you !

TMO Supporting Vendors