The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

? on Nitto NT01 wear indicators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a question about the wear indicator arrows on my 305/35R18 NT01's concerning correct air pressure. I was at Watkins Glen for the first time using a square setup of 305 NT01's. I started with 33F and 32R cold tire pressures. After my first session I had 45 front and rear. I dropped them down to 39 hot front and rear. After the second session I had to drop them a few more pounds to get to 39 front and rear. Final air pressures for the day was 39 front and rear. The tires did not feel real sticky. My cold pressure in the shop now is 29 front and rear. My question though is by looking at the pictures showing my tires, should I drop pressures more? The wear indicator arrow is just touching the first section of light wear, but the heavy wear pattern is a 1/4" away front the arrow. Should I drop the pressures more? I did not have a way to check tire temps.

hkmb.jpg

pqc7.jpg

ltop.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Forget those arrows and get an IR Pyrometer from harbor freight for $15. In my experience the NT01s liked about 37psi hot on the Mustang. Beyond that they get greasy towards end of session.

I've tried 35-40 psi and liked the lower end of the spectrum a little better. 35-37 was their happy place. Fronts behaved better ~2psi higher than the rears. YMMV

neema said:
I've tried 35-40 psi and liked the lower end of the spectrum a little better. 35-37 was their happy place. Fronts behaved better ~2psi higher than the rears. YMMV
Agree. I've run both NT01's and NT555RII's both seem to like more pressure up front. At 38 or more hot on the rear and they get (very) greasy mid- late session, so I target max of 37 rear. Fronts seem to be at there best up to 39.

TMO Supporting Vendors