The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

On quest to get a 2013 Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right now I have a 2010 GT Preminum in great shape with 23,000 miles. My dream car is the 2013 Boss in red w/black stripes. Problem is I need to get the monthly payments to be the same as my 2010. In order to do that I need to sell my 1978 Z28 Camaro and sell my 2010 Mustang out right as the dealer won't give me enough in trade.

The good news is my local dealer has one allocation for a Boss and would charge me "only" MSRP. The bad news is trying to sell the Z28. It needs alot of body work (rust, faded paint). The problem with the 2010 Mustang is I have never sold a car worth $24,000 before. I am not sure how to make sure I don't get riped off with a fake check and the like. The KBB price for the GT is $19-$23 and $21-25k (trade-in vs private sale). Anyone have a good handle on what used 2010 Mustangs are going for and how easy or hard it would be to sell? Any ideas on this? Thanks.

JC

With the GT I would say you can be pretty safe if you seal the deal inside a bank. I've seen it quite often where people required this for a sale like this. $21-24k is a lot of money and I personally wouldn't accept anything but cash or a cashiers check that you've personally witness the buyer get at their bank.

With the z28 things are harder. I had the same issue with my '68 Mustang. It was nice but not perfect, had some rust problems and a radiator issue as well. I ended up getting a bit less for it than I was hoping for. I suppose you'll have to decide for yourself what the lowest price is for your z28 that you would consider acceptable. Then put it up for sale for say 20% on top of your absolute lowest price and hope for the best. If it won't sell you'll have to gradually go down till you hit the sweet spot where someone will bite. It sucks, the market is not at all great for classics right now. While I hoped for more I was happy to at least sell my '68 because I needed the money for a decent downpayment on the Boss.

BLAZN BOSS

IN GOD WE TRUST................ALL THER PAY CASH OR CASHIERS CHECK!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
wait till any form of payment they give you clears the bank. my cousin almost got burned that way with a cashiers check that turned out to be fake.

as for getting 24k for a 2010....that will be a hard sell unless it has like 5k miles on it. cause I have seen 2011 gts going for that price and we all know which one is more desirable these days

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I found out that a Cashiers Check is not the same as when I was younger (Im 51). A cashiers check is no longer as good as cash. It only says that the cash was in the bank at the time it was drawn. A stop payment can be put on a cashiers check. That was not the case before. They said they added that capability as someone could lose it and then a stop payment could be issued. So, you could accept a cashiers check, give up your car and then they could stop payment on it. Only take cash. They cannot certify the check either. The bank won't sign off on the title until the check clears. It is getting to be a real pain to sell a car now a days. My brother who is a GM at a Ford dealer says they have insurance to protect them from a stop payment on a check or a bad check.

Brian

BLAZN BOSS

A cashiers check is written on the banks money not a personal account.............the money is withdrawn from the account and the bank writes the check. Just went through this when I sold my GT/CS. Maybe this differs from state to state.......

BLAZN BOSS said:
A cashiers check is written on the banks money not a personal account.............the money is withdrawn from the account and the bank writes the check. Just went through this when I sold my GT/CS. Maybe this differs from state to state.......

I'm pretty sure it's like that here in CA as well. As soon as the bank issues the check, the amount on it will be taken from your account. If you don't have the required funds, the bank will not issue the cashier's check to you.

Otherwise a cashier's check would be pretty much the same thing as a regular check, wouldn't it?

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
TheMarco said:
BLAZN BOSS said:

I'm pretty sure it's like that here in CA as well. As soon as the bank issues the check, the amount on it will be taken from your account. If you don't have the required funds, the bank will not issue the cashier's check to you.

Otherwise a cashier's check would be pretty much the same thing as a regular check, wouldn't it?

That's what I thought. This was Chase bank in detroit it's national. Just ask to be sure.
Brian

The issue with Cashier's Checks is that they are pretty easy to fake with modern technology. Your bank will deposit it but it will still take a while to clear, and you may not find out for a week or two that it was fake.

Another problem is that a car worth 20k+, most people will need a loan. Loan bank will issue Cashier's Check. So you are kind of stuck taking them. There are two ways to deal with this, depending if it is a local buyer or not.

Local buyer: go with them to the bank, watch them issue the check. Probably real.

Non-local buyer: Cashier's check comes and you let it sit in your bank for a few weeks. I use this when I sold the Evo, but I was lucky that it was a pretty desirable car (sold it through the forum, and I had a history of mods (filter, axle back, tune that was only on a few weeks plus dyno graphs, etc and posts in the track section about every track day including maintenance and how it never had any issues) so I was able to sell it sight unseen to a kid across the country who sent me a cashier's check (I also called the bank based on the phone number on their website and asked about the check) that I let stew in my account about a month before he flew out and picked it up. That is sort of a special case, but it is the only way I would be comfortable with a Cashier's Check I didn't watch them write.

So be careful even with a Cashier's Check. Cash is king. Never accept a regular check.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
When I bought the 2005 V6 Mustang convertible from a Subaru dealer in Maine, I had given them a 1k deposit check, and then 2 days later when I showed up to take delivery and pay the balance they said a personal check was OK. Don't know if it was a combination of it being a used car and have good credit, but it was the first time I had ever written a check for $10,000.

This stuff varies state by state, but yeah, buying/selling a car via personal non-dealer transaction can be a huuuuuuge PITA.

Caveat emptor.

Jeff said:
a dealer will take a personal check no questions asked. full amount.
That pisses off the finance guys though. ;)

They will probably hard run your credit if you use a personal check, unless you are famous or they can look you up online. They do a soft run to verify identity per the legal requirement (there are other ways, but it is the easiest way) but you can request they not do a hard run if you are doing financing separately and/or use a cashier's check.

For some people it doesn't matter, but for some people it does. For legitimate or paranoia reasons, depending on the circumstances ;D

If you really want to piss off the finance guy, ask to put it on your CC to get the points. They will probably add a markup to cover the difference in cost to process, if they allow it. Gets funny looks is why I ask.

CaliMR said:
If you really want to piss off the finance guy, ask to put it on your CC to get the points. They will probably add a markup to cover the difference in cost to process, if they allow it. Gets funny looks is why I ask.
I actually tried that. I get 2% cash back on mine buy they wouldn't take it. :eek: Most likely the dealer will run a credit check on you regardless of how much you're going to spend so they'll have a pretty good idea if your check is good.

UPDATE=

Well, I am super bum'ed out. I can't believe this dealer I went to today! He says he is the biggest Mustang dealer in Orange County. But not only did he insist on a $5k markup over MSRP on a 2013 Boss but he was only willing to give me $19k in trade on my GT. Both Edmunds and KBB listed trade-in value of $22-23k. So I told him thank you and left. So my quest continues...

Joe C

joecatch said:
UPDATE=

Well, I am super bum'ed out. I can't believe this dealer I went to today! He says he is the biggest Mustang dealer in Orange County. But not only did he insist on a $5k markup over MSRP on a 2013 Boss but he was only willing to give me $19k in trade on my GT. Both Edmunds and KBB listed trade-in value of $22-23k. So I told him thank you and left. So my quest continues...

Joe C

Problem is being in CA I guess. Too many folks with too much money. I thank the High Lords of torque and acceleration every day that I went in FAST and grabbed my Boss when I still could. My wife telling me 'Do it! Don't wait!' helped too. My dealer is the only one in the wide area that I know that would sell at MSRP. And unfortunately they don't have any more allocation.

Good luck man, if I hear anything here in the area I will let you know!

TMO Supporting Vendors