The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

On track oil temperature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06mach1 said:
808Boss said:
I'm interested in your oil temperature setup.... What oil temp gauge sender and sandwich plate adapter are you using? Would this work with the aeroforce gauges? Thanks...

I use a Glowshift adapter, but there are different brands out there. Just check ebay. The gauge I use is a Speedhut electric gauge which uses a small sending unit that threads into the adapter and extends into the oil stream. I believe aeroforce makes a sending unit that reads oil temprature.

Its kinda strange that my engine temps run 180 degrees while driving on the street, even in 90+ degree ambeint air temps. They rise to 205 when sitting in traffic. I do not know what temp the thermostat is, but I would have thought 195.

When on the track coolant temps get up to 210 while running. Could there be a difference between Fords cylinder head temp reading and actual the coolant temps in the block? Has anyone using a sending unit in the block actually seen 250 degree temps? I do run my car hard (I think) on the track, although I have not run it on a track in real hot temps. Why does my car run so cold compared to others?
Our t-stat is actually a 170. My coolant temp runs from anywhere in the high 170s to the 190s on the street. I just answered with an "average" street temp. The coolant temp I'm using is what's provided through OBDII on my Aeroforce gauge. TBH I don't know where that sender is located for water temps.

cloud9 said:
Our t-stat is actually a 170. My coolant temp runs from anywhere in the high 170s to the 190s on the street. I just answered with an "average" street temp. The coolant temp I'm using is what's provided through OBDII on my Aeroforce gauge. TBH I don't know where that sender is located for water temps.

Intersting that the thermostat is only 170. That would help explain why I run 180 on the street. I would think the factory sender is in one of the heads, but not sure. I know I have never seen a sender in the block.

06mach1 said:
cloud9 said:

Intersting that the thermostat is only 170. That would help explain why I run 180 on the street. I would think the factory sender is in one of the heads, but not sure. I know I have never seen a sender in the block.
I was incorrect about the 170....it's 180 according to Reische Performance. I was thinking in relation to the 192 stat we have in our GT500s.....just knew it was lower. Here's some discussion on the t-stat in our cars:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-boss-302-mustang-373/783463-reische-performance-thermostats-11-12-5-0l-boss.html

cloud9 said:
shendrix99 said:
Cloud9 - how (and where) are you measuring oil temperature? My 2013 Boss runs warmer than yours on the street (200-230F depending on what I'm doing, and measured at the oil pan) but my oil is always a little hotter than water temperature regardless. I see you have an air-to-oil cooler - were you seeing my kind of temps before you installed it? Thanks. Steve.
Measuring oil with a sender off a T in the block location where they installed the factory oil pressure sensor. I installed the sender at the same time as the cooler so don't have any comparison data, but I'm sure my oil would run cooler than a factory boss without the air-to-oil cooler. My cooler sits out front right behind the pony in the grille.

Thanks Cloud9.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel