The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

On track oil temperature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I finally got back to the track after installing my gauges.I have oil pressure,oil temperature measured at an oil filter adaptor after the cooler, and water temperature measured at the block heater fitting.I also have an S model grill.I was especially interested in oil temp.
Running pretty hard today at Watkins Glen,outside air temp 50 degrees.The water temp was rock steady at 192 degrees.The oil temperature got up to 260 however.I guess I'll be looking at an engine oil cooler for next season,260 is about as high as I want to see it.
What are those of you who have a cooler using and what kind of temperatures have you been seeing?
Thanks, Guy

I was at the Glen last week and temps were 65 to 70 degrees out. I do not have an oil cooler but I do run the S grill. Highest coolant temp that I reached was 210 and highest oil temp was 245. My coolant temp gauge sender is in the side of the block and my oil temp gauge sender is in a sandwich adapter between the oil filter and factory cooler.

I'm still on Ford 5W-50,but this is the last time.Going to Mobil1 5W-50 after the next OT event.

I can definately say that the harder I pushed the higher the temperature.I also could have been running harder than I was,but pretty much 4500-7000RPM.

On mid 90s days, I typically see oil temps in he 270s and coolant temps in the low 220s. When it's above 100 oil temps get in the 290s, I've seen 302.

This is with an oil cooler, and a 13 quart capacity.

We did quite a bit of testing and datalogging last year and early this year as we developed and tested our oil cooler. The Boss motor is very sensitive to high RPM's. If you are pushing the rpms on hot (90-degree +) track days, it would not be unusual to see oil temps over 300F. At Miller where we had hot temps AND altitude, we saw oil temps as high as 340F (briefly) - although we would typically see limp mode before oil temps got this high. In summary, figure 300F oil temps if you are pushing the car.

With our Oil Cooler (significantly larger than Ford's and with significantly LESS pressure drop - i.e. less work on the oil pump), our abosolute peak oil temps have been 220-225F in consistent 100F+ days of track testing at both Spring Mountain and Willow Springs. This is across 3 LS's - each driven in the higher-end (fastest) of the run groups. This product (IMHO) is a must if you are using the car for track events in warmer weather conditions.

CoolTechLLC said:
We did quite a bit of testing and datalogging last year and early this year as we developed and tested our oil cooler. The Boss motor is very sensitive to high RPM's. If you are pushing the rpms on hot (90-degree +) track days, it would not be unusual to see oil temps over 300F. At Miller where we had hot temps AND altitude, we saw oil temps as high as 340F (briefly) - although we would typically see limp mode before oil temps got this high. In summary, figure 300F oil temps if you are pushing the car.

With our Oil Cooler (significantly larger than Ford's and with significantly LESS pressure drop - i.e. less work on the oil pump), our abosolute peak oil temps have been 220-225F in consistent 100F+ days of track testing at both Spring Mountain and Willow Springs. This is across 3 LS's - each driven in the higher-end (fastest) of the run groups. This product (IMHO) is a must if you are using the car for track events in warmer weather conditions.

Wow. That is a considerable difference. On my 4.6 3v Steeda spec car, even with an oil cooler, In Floirda, I was still pushing 300 deg.

ORANGE CRUSH said:
Smitty what happened to your fender? Did I miss something?

Yes, you missed something, but I didn't. :mad:

"Tire wall" happened.

LvMpIl.jpg
03klsl.jpg

As of yesterday (Thursday),it's all white again. Racing at Eagles Canyon this weekend.

I'm running mid 230s to low 240s oil temp with the FRPP oil cooler when ambients are over 75F at 1000-2000 ft above sea level. The corresponding water temps are high 230s to high 240s. I don't see a big difference until ambients go above 95F, then oil stays in the low 240s but water will hit low 250s until I remove the grille. I have the 302S grille, radiator and hood (Tiger). I do push the car pretty hard though.

Cloud9 - how (and where) are you measuring oil temperature? My 2013 Boss runs warmer than yours on the street (200-230F depending on what I'm doing, and measured at the oil pan) but my oil is always a little hotter than water temperature regardless. I see you have an air-to-oil cooler - were you seeing my kind of temps before you installed it? Thanks. Steve.

Maui
06mach1 said:
I was at the Glen last week and temps were 65 to 70 degrees out. I do not have an oil cooler but I do run the S grill. Highest coolant temp that I reached was 210 and highest oil temp was 245. My coolant temp gauge sender is in the side of the block and my oil temp gauge sender is in a sandwich adapter between the oil filter and factory cooler.

I'm interested in your oil temperature setup.... What oil temp gauge sender and sandwich plate adapter are you using? Would this work with the aeroforce gauges? Thanks...

808Boss said:
I'm interested in your oil temperature setup.... What oil temp gauge sender and sandwich plate adapter are you using? Would this work with the aeroforce gauges? Thanks...

I use a Glowshift adapter, but there are different brands out there. Just check ebay. The gauge I use is a Speedhut electric gauge which uses a small sending unit that threads into the adapter and extends into the oil stream. I believe aeroforce makes a sending unit that reads oil temprature.

Its kinda strange that my engine temps run 180 degrees while driving on the street, even in 90+ degree ambeint air temps. They rise to 205 when sitting in traffic. I do not know what temp the thermostat is, but I would have thought 195.

When on the track coolant temps get up to 210 while running. Could there be a difference between Fords cylinder head temp reading and actual the coolant temps in the block? Has anyone using a sending unit in the block actually seen 250 degree temps? I do run my car hard (I think) on the track, although I have not run it on a track in real hot temps. Why does my car run so cold compared to others?

shendrix99 said:
Cloud9 - how (and where) are you measuring oil temperature? My 2013 Boss runs warmer than yours on the street (200-230F depending on what I'm doing, and measured at the oil pan) but my oil is always a little hotter than water temperature regardless. I see you have an air-to-oil cooler - were you seeing my kind of temps before you installed it? Thanks. Steve.
Measuring oil with a sender off a T in the block location where they installed the factory oil pressure sensor. I installed the sender at the same time as the cooler so don't have any comparison data, but I'm sure my oil would run cooler than a factory boss without the air-to-oil cooler. My cooler sits out front right behind the pony in the grille.

TMO Supporting Vendors