The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

One Lap of America Testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Thought I would start a thread on my thoughts and testing for the 2013 One Lap of America. http://www.onelapofamerica.com/Home.do
Co driver Jon Krolewicz http://www.racerjon.com/events/onelap12/theteam.html

The Car
2012 Boss 303 Performance White for that stealth look

The Mods
MM Camber Plates with -2.0 degrees camber max I can get with Steeda Boss springs, Brake cooling ducts, Trans cooler scoop, Forgestar F14 9" and 10" by 19", Tires Michelin PSS 265/35 and 295/30 19, Freedom Racing adj pan hard bar to correct axel offset caused by Steeda Boss springs, Cobalt Friction XR1 front and XR2 rear brake pads, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Syngear II diff fluid with Turkey baster vent.

Sebring testing 3/25/12 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

The Good
Michelin PSS are really really good tires, were pulling over 1.4g on Trakmate, the soft sidewall takes a little time to take a set on turn in but then it really hooks. You can carry insane slip angles with out the tires letting go. Mid corner push can be induced if you try to get on the throttle early so some p[atience is needed. Engine ran like a Swiss watch, no check engine, no over heat running the Saleen grill, This was with 2 drivers running back to back 30 minute sessions with Chin. Tires temps we're used to set hot pressures with 38 being the sweet spot for temps and going higher to reduce rollover from the soft sidewall caused the middle of the tire to get hotter than the edges.

The Bad
Hawk DTC 70 front pads suck. We went through a brand new set in 1 day with 2 drivers. 1 pad was metal to metal with the others having around 1mm left. Going to Cobalt Friction XR1 front and XR2 rear for the future. I run these pads on the GT3 and can get around 12 track days on a set.

The Ugly,
Shifting SUCKS, once the tranny gets a little warm the 4 to 5 and 5 to 4 shift are an exercise in frustration. We had to wait patiently until it would go into gear which caused us to miss turn in points and apexes. Right now it has the thinner Ford spec fluid installed and I am going to change it to Redline MTL before I leave for Hallett thursday. IF that doesn't help, which i doubt it will, I guess I am going to be the Test Dummy for an aftermarket Clutch install to see if that fixes the problem. No I do not think it is the shifter as it shifts fine when cold.

Lap Times,
I never got a clean lap as traffic sucked in my group so going by Trakmate TBL I had an 2:33.4. My buddy and Hot Shoe Ian Stewart ran an 2:29.1 fast lap.

Boss vs 996GT3
As you all know I also have an 04 996GT3 which is stock except for OZ Alleggritta wheels which are lighter than stock and have 235/40 295/30 18 Yokohama AD08 tires. The GT3 with Ian Stewart driving runs 2:27.5 sec at Sebring, I run 2:31s at Sebring, which is 1.6 sec a lap faster than the Boss as modded above. So yes the Boss is fast but it isn't GT3 fast as it sits now. With the Boss shifting fixed I think it would be closer.

Next stop Hallett http://www.hallettracing.net/ for more testing.

Peter

TopSpeed Motorsports, the back to back champions, ran Endless Brakes MX-72 pads for last years event. I talked to those guys about their brake setup and they were very happy with it. They ran the Endless RF650 fluid as well. Might want to take a look into it...

The PSS is a good choice.

What settings are you running for the front and rear shocks?

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
1 off stiff front and rear as Sebring is really bumpy. Endless pads are OK as some of my GT3 buds have run them but since switched to PFC 08's . I have run most of the different brake pad manufacturers pads, "Hawk, PFC, Carbotech, Pagid," and really think the Cobalts are the best. Cobalt has had a problem in that their dist. network sucked and you had to deal direct. They are redoing their website to be more consumer friendly and it is supposed to be up and running by March 31.

Peter

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
High Plains is my home track. Let me know if I can provide any feedback! I'm going to do my best to be out there when you guys are running... I'll bring the boss in case spare parts are needed :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Feel free to give me a call if you want any ideas on the tracks at Hastings or Mid America Motorplex. I am an Instructor at both, have around 7-10,000 miles at MAM , and around 2,000 miles around Hastings. Both are Alan Wilson tracks and technical, but might be able to help you out.

Glad to hear the Michelin PSSs are doing so well , as all the comments from my friends at Michelin really feel this is the tire to have right now. The PS2 was not bad at the track, but the PSS is supposed to rival a Pilot Sport Cup in grip , but still be great for the street.

Keep us posted and best of luck in the One Lap.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
JScheier said:
High Plains is my home track. Let me know if I can provide any feedback! I'm going to do my best to be out there when you guys are running... I'll bring the boss in case spare parts are needed :)

HPR is awesome, I towed the M3 out there in Sept for one of the open track days. That track is going to be really tough for the One Lappers who haven't been there. Hope you can make it as it is a real spectacle

Peter

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Thanks Bill,

My co driver has a fair amount of time at MAM but neither of us have run MPH. The one good or bad thing about Alan Wilson tracks is they all are basically the same. My co driver is driving HPR so I will get with him and see how he wants to proceed.

Peter

Bill Pemberton said:
ms Feel free to give me a call if you want any ideas on the tracks at Hastings or Mid America Motorplex. I am an Instructor at both, have around 7-10,000 miles at MAM , and around 2,000 miles around Hastings. Both are Alan Wilson tracks and technical, but might be able to help you out.

Glad to hear the Michelin PSSs are doing so well , as all the comments from my friends at Michelin really feel this is the tire to have right now. The PS2 was not bad at the track, but the PSS is supposed to rival a Pilot Sport Cup in grip , but still be great for the street.

Keep us posted and best of luck in the One Lap.

OLOABoss said:
My co driver has a fair amount of time at MAM but neither of us have run MPH. The one good or bad thing about Alan Wilson tracks is they all are basically the same. My co driver is driving HPR so I will get with him and see how he wants to proceed.
There are a lot of similarities. MAM has longer straights, but interestingly I have a higher average mph at MPH in the Boss. Due to the flooding at MAM last year, I had more seat time at MPH in the Boss so it will be interesting to see how far lap times come down at MAM this year. I have more laps (roughly 2,500 miles) at MAM than MPH (~1000 miles). I'll be there a week from Friday for the opener.
OLOABoss said:
Boss vs 996GT3
As you all know I also have an 04 996GT3 which is stock except for OZ Alleggritta wheels which are lighter than stock and have 235/40 295/30 18 Yokohama AD08 tires. The GT3 with Ian Stewart driving runs 2:27.5 sec at Sebring, I run 2:31s at Sebring, which is 1.6 sec a lap faster than the Boss as modded above. So yes the Boss is fast but it isn't GT3 fast as it sits now.
That's actually good to hear. It makes passing them up at BIR all the more gratifying 8)

that just looks like just looks like such a kick in the pants...oh my.

I'm putting the OLOA on my bucket list.

And you gotta love that PW boss...looks so good.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tracks are similar and like Gary I average slightly higher at MPH , though it is a little bit shorter track. Most of my miles there are in a Spec Miata or a Viper, so Gary may be able to give you a better idea on gear selection , etc.

The fast line requires patience at both tracks and I do have a tendency to run a different one than is taught at either track. All of us would be happy to give you our insight and you should have fun at both courses.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Gary,

With your weight loss and mods I am sure your car is at least equivalent if not better than a stock 6GT3 ;) now it comes down to the driver and that is always the big variable. Lots of fast cars but not so many FAASST drivers ;D

Every time I track da Boss I am impressed with it's calm behavior, it really inspires confidence sort of like driving an E36M3. Once the shifting issues are finally resolved it will be a sweet car. Brakes are adequate but front pad wear is high I think partly because it is a relatively small pad for the weight of the car. Hopefully the Cobalts will exhibit the same outstanding wear as on my GT3. I plan on measuring wear after Hallett and Roebling Road to get an idea of life, if they last that long ;)

Peter

OLOABoss said:
Gary,

With your weight loss and mods I am sure your car is at least equivalent if not better than a stock 6GT3 ;)
I guess we'll see this spring. The days I've run with the Porsches had limited performance mods.....basically camber plates and lightweight wheels. Most of the other mods were "winter mods" ;) Frankly when I look at the list there's not all that much done for increased performance, mostly just track reliability and safety.

Bill Pemberton said:
The fast line requires patience at both tracks and I do have a tendency to run a different one than is taught at either track. All of us would be happy to give you our insight and you should have fun at both courses.
You too? That's funny. Todd asked me that when he let me drive his LS. "You always drive this line?"

Absolutely we'd be happy to share our experiences at MPH because one thing I'd really like is for you guys to add your names to the 1:30s table to try and even out the Corvette boys list a little bit. We have a way to go on the Mustang table, but at least we got one started last year with a few names (Bill you need to carve yours even though it was in Todd's car ;)) on it. JScheier will be adding his name when he gets to run with some decent tires for sure.

Those are some great times Peter. I saw the vid of you friend driving, very nice! Impressed at how calm he was while pushing that hard. I agree with you on the shifts, it feels like you lose a second everytime you need to go into fifth.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
JScheier will be adding his name when he gets to run with some decent tires for sure.

Way more fun with crappy tires, but I'll come prepared this year ;)

I've got video of MPH on YouTube. Good uncluttered view of the track although my patience with the later part of the track was non-existent (3500lb boss doesn't like 2900lb M3 lines!).

Also, if you use simulators, R-Factor has a very good simulator of High Plains Raceway. I use it during the winter to keep the mind sharp!

Peter, I was hoping you would start a thread on your OLOA adventure. To clarify you're running this year not 2013 right? Any thoughts you can share comparing the PSS and AD08 tires? Will you be blogging during OLOA? Good luck and have fun!

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
5 DOT 0 said:
Peter, I was hoping you would start a thread on your OLOA adventure. To clarify you're running this year not 2013 right? Any thoughts you can share comparing the PSS and AD08 tires? Will you be blogging during OLOA? Good luck and have fun!

Hard to compare the AD08 to PSS as I have them on 2 different cars but here are my impressions

PSS is light years ahead of the AD08 in the wet and the AD08 isn't bad

The AD08 turn in and feel is much superior to the PSS. The PSS soft sidewall definently takes time to take a set on turn in.

This is subjective but I feel the PSS will allow much greater slip angles than the AD08. We were pulling well over 1.4g, Traqmate data, at Sebring which is pretty dam good for street tires.

Peter

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
2012YellowBoss said:
Those are some great times Peter. I saw the vid of you friend driving, very nice! Impressed at how calm he was while pushing that hard. I agree with you on the shifts, it feels like you lose a second everytime you need to go into fifth.

Scott,

Yes Ian can wheel a car and the video shows the shifting issue perfectly. Next time Ian is with me and you are there you need to get a ride with him. I probably dropped a .5 sec between 10 and 13 after riding with him. Now going flat out through Bishops Bend at 118.

Peter

Peter

OLOABoss said:
Yes Ian can wheel a car and the video shows the shifting issue perfectly. Next time Ian is with me and you are there you need to get a ride with him. I probably dropped a .5 sec between 10 and 13 after riding with him. Now going flat out through Bishops Bend at 118.
Peter

Wow very nice speed, that turn(s) has always scared me a bit. I only had limited time on the slicks but I felt the grip was so much better in that turn then anywhere else I have run them. With a little practice and instruction I hope to go flat through there myself someday. Anyway impressive times by both of you, 233 is flying around there, 229 is amazing.

TMO Supporting Vendors