The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

One Lap of America Testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Hallett testing report

Car is still shifting awful when the car heats up and I didn't run the 3 afternoon sessions Sunday as it was just frustrating. :( Did manage to run consistent 1:30 range with a fast lap of 1:29.9 These times would have put me around 8th overall in the 2007/2010 One Lap so I am well pleased. Once I get the shifting sorted, am talking with my shop about upgrading the clutch probably next week, I am sure it will run consistent 1:29's. ;D Car never ran warm with ambient temps in the mid 80's I am running the Saleen Grill.

The Cobalt brake pads worked awesome and show minimal wear unlike the previous Hawk DTC70/60 I used to run. Michelin PSS work really well for a street tire, highly recommend them though they are a little $$$

Peter

fuhrius said:
maybe won't be an issue for those of us that never make it out of 4th gear at Laguna Seca and Sears Point.
You'll use 5th for a couple of seconds at Thunderhill if you ever track there.

Peter are your shifting issues only in and out of 4/5?

I like T-hill...last time I was there was for a Lemons race. wow.

I mostly run LS and SP with CFRA. do some events with HOD.

did I see on another thread that you're heading to LS soon?

This OLOA thing looks to be incredibly fun. I want to do it.

fuhrius said:

I like T-hill...last time I was there was for a Lemons race. wow.

I mostly run LS and SP with CFRA. do some events with HOD.

did I see on another thread that you're heading to LS soon?
I'm signed up with Track Masters for June 16th and it's a joint day with PCA. Back on topic.

http://trackmasters-racing.com/index.cfm?H%3C%3C8

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
5 DOT 0 said:
fuhrius said:
maybe won't be an issue for those of us that never make it out of 4th gear at Laguna Seca and Sears Point.
You'll use 5th for a couple of seconds at Thunderhill if you ever track there.

Peter are your shifting issues only in and out of 4/5?

Nope pretty much all gears now. 2 to 3 3 to 4 4 to 5. And back down the same way. Clutch is now releasing much lower to the floor. Doing research right now on aftermarket clutch.

Peter

OLOABoss said:
Nope pretty much all gears now. 2 to 3 3 to 4 4 to 5. And back down the same way. Clutch is now releasing much lower to the floor. Doing research right now on aftermarket clutch.

Pretty much in line with other reports, not all are the same but close. My big issue is going into fifth but also have a problem going 5-4, 3-4 and 4-3 but not nearly as bad as 4-5. New clutch will be in the cards some day but for now I will do my best with the factory parts, at least Ford is not arguing the problem for me.

Peter,

Are you having issues with very fast shifts, or moderate speed shifts, any shift speed, or.....???? I know I shift at more of a moderate speed. Definitely not slow, but not lightning fast. I am not saying this should or shouldn't be done. Or you need to shift a certain way for the trans to work correctly. Bottom line is we shouldn't be having these problems. I am just asking so we can get a better grasp on the shifting issues. I wonder if the speed of the shifts exasperates the issues. I have had a couple issues myself, but not sure if it was driver's error. A couple times I had frequent issues and did a cool down lap and all was good.

adam81 said:
Peter,

Are you having issues with very fast shifts, or moderate speed shifts, any shift speed, or.....???? I know I shift at more of a moderate speed. Definitely not slow, but not lightning fast. I am not saying this should or shouldn't be done. Or you need to shift a certain way for the trans to work correctly. Bottom line is we shouldn't be having these problems. I am just asking so we can get a better grasp on the shifting issues. I wonder if the speed of the shifts exasperates the issues. I have had a couple issues myself, but not sure if it was driver's error. A couple times I had frequent issues and did a cool down lap and all was good.
I know what you mean. I've missed a small handful of shifts on the track, but attributed it to me getting lazy in timing the shift. I'm relatively deliberate shifting on the road course compared to when I drag race. As more reports of this have surfaced, I'll be paying closer attention to whether it's me or the clutch/trans.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
5 DOT 0 said:
Peter previously stated that his car shifts fine until it gets hot. My bet is this is more of a clutch issue than a transmission issue. Looks like Peter is going to find out very soon.

It started mainly 4/5 5/4 shift and has gotten progressively worse. I don't speed shift but I do shift at Redline on track. As stated the tranny shifts fine under road driving with no synchro issues at all. I guess somebody needs to jump in front of the Bus and test the clutch theory and I guess I'm it. Afterall I have benefited from early owners testing and reports. Thanks Cloud9 Yellowboss Jscheler etc so it is my time to give back. ;)

Peter

Thanks Peter. Way to take one for the team. I am very interested to hear your results with the clutch change. You may want to call Paul Brown at Tiger Racing or Dean Martin at Rehagen. These would be my two go-to-guys if I were in your shoes.... The 302s comes with the MT-82 trans. They have lots of testing and data on it....

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I added the Barton bracket to my shifter. 4-5 is still tough, but what I've found is that if I slow the shift down, it engages fine and goes right in.

I shift at, near, and sometimes past redline (red mist) and the slower shifter movement seems to solve the issue.

JScheier said:
I added the Barton bracket to my shifter. 4-5 is still tough, but what I've found is that if I slow the shift down, it engages fine and goes right in.

I shift at, near, and sometimes past redline (red mist) and the slower shifter movement seems to solve the issue.

Mine only depends on the RPM's into fifth. Anything over 7K and it has to be jammed in. Cold/hot, light/hard touch, slow/fast movement does not matter for me. The only thing that makes a difference is shifting below 6500, then it is fine.

Peter, like everyone else looking forward to the results. Since you are going that route you may as well install one of these. I think it has helped in my car.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/2011-2012-mustang-gt-5-0l-transmission-clutch-line-upgrades-c-8486_10278_11928/jhr-2011-2012-mustang-mt-82-high-volume-clutch-line-upgrade-p-37483

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Roebling Road April 7 report. Weather was awesome starting in the mid 40's with highs in the low 70's. I only ran 2 sessions as my co driver, Jon Krolewicz need the seat time to get familiar with the car. I ran the 0900 session and fast was a 1:23.6 with a couple of bobble's, need bigger man bearings for turn 3. After lunch 1 big spin ;) and fast was only 1:25.2, shifting into 5th had gotten cranky by then and was only hitting 138 before turn 1 where I was at 142 in the morning.

That is it for testing until the Event. Need to get new clutch installed, new tires, wax the car and do a nut/bolt check.

Peter

Awesome Peter! Those are very respectable times. What was Jon able to do? Sorry to hear about the clutch problems. I am really hoping a new one takes care of it. Did you decide on which one you are going to run? Best of luck this year! This event is on the bucket list.....

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
adam81 said:
Awesome Peter! Those are very respectable times. What was Jon able to do? Sorry to hear about the clutch problems. I am really hoping a new one takes care of it. Did you decide on which one you are going to run? Best of luck this year! This event is on the bucket list.....

Jon was a hair slower but it was heating up and track was difinently slower. We could look at TraqMate data and see exactly where the 4 to 5 shift was as it looked like we were coasting. As for clutch I am leaning towards overkill with a dual disc RAM clutch and lightweight flywheel.

If you like 8 days of nail biting adrenaline fun then the One Lap is the ticket. Most fun I have with my clothes on. ;)

Peter

TMO Supporting Vendors