The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

One piece drive shaft installed today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No I have no use for argument but will say this if the dynotech driveshaft has the wrong angle then so does every single one piece driveshaft. look it's no big deal maybe your cousin whatever had a damaged one I dont know havn't seen it but I will say this is not new to me at all and have had the best of expeirence with this driveshaft and there is NO vibration at all and to top that off if there were vibration I would have just bought the adjustable upc and adjusted the vibration out cause any vibration from a driveshaft is angle or bad parts and easy to fix. Dyntech balances their driveshafts at 8000 rpm and do own some of the best of equipment for balancing look it up oh and also look up all the old equipment that balanced driveshafts once a shaft is balanced there is nothing more to it you cant balance it better its done. Mine was fast and simple to install with 100% perfect results. Every one piece driveshaft is going to effect your car the same as long as it is balanced the vibration will be comming from the pinion angle as for the stock suspension boss it's fine nothing to worrie of.

After almost completely renovating a 95 GT from the ground up, twice, I was supposed to buy the Mustang that didn't need any modifications, as per orders from my wife. Now I have to explain the need for axle back exhaust, an MGW shifter, and, thanks to this thread, a new drive shaft. I hope that the MGW fixes the lockout issues or a Tremec Magnum XL will be on order. I really need to stop reading the boards. What's next?

max5ive0 said:
After almost completely renovating a 95 GT from the ground up, twice, I was supposed to buy the Mustang that didn't need any modifications, as per orders from my wife... I hope that the MGW fixes the lockout issues or a Tremec Magnum XL will be on order...

Since, for the sake of domestic tranquility, us married guys must at least be thought to take seriously wifely "advice" on car budgets, I'd recommend first replacing the flimsy stock rear shifter bushing/bracket w/ a Barton or similar unit, before spending the extra $$ to replace the whole shifter. Just the bushing/bracket swap should solve your shifter "lockout" problem... it sure did in my case. And the $300-400 saved over buying a new shifter (not to mention the several $thousand saved over buying a Tremec) can be put toward other mods, like a new driveshaft.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
max5ive0 said:
After almost completely renovating a 95 GT from the ground up, twice, I was supposed to buy the Mustang that didn't need any modifications, as per orders from my wife. Now I have to explain the need for axle back exhaust, an MGW shifter, and, thanks to this thread, a new drive shaft. I hope that the MGW fixes the lockout issues or a Tremec Magnum XL will be on order. I really need to stop reading the boards. What's next?
lol dont feel bad I was told the samething when I bought the boss. "dont touch it" that lasted a month lol

If you do intend on keeping the Boss stock your still way ahead youll be happy. But if you want to build it/change it then I would think you should take your wife out on the track, let her drive, make her hammer down and say, look honey it would be easier if we had this ;D ;D ;D ;D Or simply man up take her out in it light um up and say hey honey it's the Boss would you like it if I did nothing for you ;D Or better yet take her by your local college durring a busy time all the hot younger chicks out there and say, you know maybe I do need a different car one that does not need soo many mods ::) heck there are a few things I could change this way ;D

Look the car is great stock no doubt there but when ran real hard there are a few things that could be done to make it better but does not have to be done.

jeepinocala said:
If you do intend on keeping the Boss stock your still way ahead youll be happy. But if you want to build it/change it then I would think you should take your wife out on the track, let her drive, make her hammer down and say, look honey it would be easier if we had this ;D ;D ;D ;D Or simply man up take her out in it light um up and say hey honey it's the Boss would you like it if I did nothing for you ;D Or better yet take her by your local college durring a busy time all the hot younger chicks out there and say, you know maybe I do need a different car one that does not need soo many mods ::) heck there are a few things I could change this way ;D

Look the car is great stock no doubt there but when ran real hard there are a few things that could be done to make it better but does not have to be done.

I'm not married, and even I know that would not end well ;D

The problem is the sliding joint in most so called one piece drive-shafts. Only DSS and PST do NOT have a sliding joint. The sliding joint makes the driveshaft two pieces NOT one and this in turn allows the shaft to wobble which causes vibration. Also because those shafts all use two universal joints they require careful and some times impossible alignment. If you follow the often suggested alignment procedure they start out miss aligned and are supposed to align under load but when cruising the shafts are not under enough load to be aligned and vibrate. If you align it for cruising then they go out of alignment under load. The use of a CV joint eliminates the need to align at all. Since the CV joint has built in to it a enough telescoping movement it also eliminates the need for a sliding joint making it a true one piece drive shaft. Yes they cost a bit more but they are BETTER.

NASCAR uses a tail-shaft transmission like the t56 this puts the sliding joint inside the tail-shaft and NOT between the universal joints. Alignment is importantly but not nearly as critical as with sliding joint between the universal joints.

908ssp said:
The problem is the sliding joint in most so called one piece drive-shafts. Only DSS and PST do NOT have a sliding joint. The sliding joint makes the driveshaft two pieces NOT one and this in turn allows the shaft to wobble which causes vibration. Also because those shafts all use two universal joints they require careful and some times impossible alignment. If you follow the often suggested alignment procedure they start out miss aligned and are supposed to align under load but when cruising the shafts are not under enough load to be aligned and vibrate. If you align it for cruising then they go out of alignment under load. The use of a CV joint eliminates the need to align at all. Since the CV joint has built in to it a enough telescoping movement it also eliminates the need for a sliding joint making it a true one piece drive shaft. Yes they cost a bit more but they are BETTER.

NASCAR uses a tail-shaft transmission like the t56 this puts the sliding joint inside the tail-shaft and NOT between the universal joints. Alignment is importantly but not nearly as critical as with sliding joint between the universal joints.
Ok why doesn't mine vibrate? I have driven it soft and hard ZERO vibration then why? The sliding part of these shafts are huge and have zero wobble? The first thing I was impressed by of this shaft was the sliding joint being so well built. Why does mine NOT vibrate?

jeepinocala said:

That's pretty funny. My wife is a great woman, but not a risk taker, or impractical by any means. I don't think "hammer down" is in her vocabulary, and if the tires even squak while she is in the car I get punched in the arm. I like it rough, but that isn't her idea of foreplay. And eluding to trading "her" in for a "new model," would go right over her head, and besides, no way I could do better.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
After the MGW, I knew that I wanted to get a one piece aluminum shaft for my Boss. Why? Because of the occasional clunking I would hear in my wife's '11 GT. Didn't want that in my high performance Mustang. So I started researching, and decided on the DSS shaft that Justin recommended. What made the decision easier was I got 10% off Memorial Day sale @Lethal, which got my delivered price to under $690. Maybe they will have another sale around Labor Day?

One thing I noticed is that sometimes 'the good stuff' requires that you wait. Want the best shifter for your Boss? Order from MGW and wait 4-6 weeks. Is it worth it? Hell yeah it is. Ordered Sullivan racing pedals, custom made to my specifications. So in retrospect I really don't mind the fact that if I want a special order, low volume, high quality custom made part for my Boss that I have to wait.

I was a little worried when we had first had the shaft installed and we measured the spacing between the shaft end and the rear axle flange. The installation instructions were quite clear that the distance must be between x & y inches (can't remember exactly but think y was 3 3/4") and mine was 4". I was like, crap, all this work and the $#@! thing doesn't fit even though we followed the installation instructions to the letter! Then the light bulb went on and we realized that the rear axle was hanging free as the car was on jack stands. Now I haven't taken the car to a garage with a 'drive on' lift (my buddy who races M3s has both style lifts in his garage-mahal) to measure, or put a mirror underneath it and whipped out a tape measure, but I'd be willing to bet that the measured distance is now right @ the 3 3/4" spec with all 4 wheels on the ground. I recall Justin had to call when he had measured his and they said he should be fine as his was at or near the max limit. The night mine was installed I went on a test drive and was taking it easy to make sure everything seemed OK, and it's fine. Was quite a ride as my GT500 axle backs and MGW were also installed the same day. We also did Goodridge brake lines, but I wasn't out on the track and haven't been yet to speak to their performance.

It's hard to describe the before/after feeling with the new shaft, there's this almost imperceptible feeling of smoothness in the power delivery. Just seems to provide a more refined sensation of thrust on my butt dyno. I too also notice that you can now hear the clutch engagement, maybe even more clearly as I also have the MGW, but to me it's far preferable than the 42 lb 'clunk'. ;D

On a related note, my Boss does exhibit the rear axle whine from the torsen that some other owners have reported. Only happens on the highway in 6th gear just over 2200 rpm. I noticed that the sound of the rear axle 'whine' had a higher frequency pitch with the new shaft. At some point I may change the rear axle fluid to address the issue, but it's not a real big deal to me at the moment.

So for all of you who may be on the fence on whether or not you think this mod would be worth it, remember how you felt when you first saw the MGW vid comparing the OEM 'gem' to the MGW? +1000 for the DriveShopShaft, love mine and would always put this on the short list of upgrades if I ever got another Mustang.

IMG_1093.jpg
IMG_1094.jpg
IMG_1095.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_2226.jpg
IMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2207.jpg
IMG_2208.jpg
IMG_2209.jpg

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
dabossinne said:
Good DS feedback/info on this thread! Anybody have experience with or heard anything about Shaftmasters driveshafts?

http://shaftmasters.com/3aldrfomu20v5.html

Wonder where they got the data to make these claims?

14HP peak increase, and 16 ft/lb of torque increase
.21 Second Reduction in 1/4 Mile E.T.

This one is rated to 'only' 750hp while the DSS shaft is 1000. Does it really matter if it's rated to a higher HP number that 99.999% of Boss owners will never see? Well that's up to you to decide... ;)

That is a funny claim but they all do that. I would like to see the wireframe model of that dss driveshaft to see how they connected inside of an aluminum tube that steel rod for the cv axle?

TMO Supporting Vendors