The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

One piece drive shaft installed today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not to advertise for anyone but my dynotech driveshaft was put in today along with a bmr driveshaft loop and all I have to say is the stock two piece driveshaft is JUNK this took all of the driveshaft noises out of the car it drives soo much better I can only say drive in a boss with a one piece and youll be buying one very fast. Oh and as for vibration worries none and I wont say how fast since you are not allowed to talk of street racing or speeding on here. What I will say is I look forward to every day driving without hearing the clunk-clunk-clunk that the JUNK stock shaft has ;D Thank you for dynotech they make a solution to one of our problems ;D

You're ok stating how fast you drove just say it was on a closed course. ;) It's the street racing we want to avoid.

did you have to install shims to line up the trans and the diff?

i remember reading somewhere on this forum that the trans and/or diff have to be shimmed to align for a one piece drive-shaft.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
F.D. Sako said:
did you have to install shims to line up the trans and the diff?

i remember reading somewhere on this forum that the trans and/or diff have to be shimmed to align for a one piece drive-shaft.

I would think you would just need new adjustable UCA to set the pinion angle back to the correct position.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Yeah it was the first thing I noticed when I had mine put on. all the clunking went away and was much smoother. I still kept the stock one incase I sell the car and someone wants the stock stuff for it.

I run a DSS shaft no shims or anything needed. I am sure the dynotech one is the same. They cost north of 700 dollars either one you go with.

No shims needed or pinion changes just install the driveshaft and your fine. I installed the front driveshaft loop from bmr pretty simple and VERY rewarding. The angle of the trans and diff are fine, my car is not lowered it's stock height. This, I would say is as important as the mgw. What a difference :eek: the only thing I dont care for is now that you dont hear any driveshaft noises you can actually hear your clutch when slowing and getting back on it. I guess it is a good thing to hear and know the clutch is working properly. It is not loud at all. My drive is so much better now ;D

Hearing the clutch working? That's new to me. Clutch assemblies commonly make only two noises: worn throwout bearing screech when clutch is disengaged (pedal in) or chatter on engagement (as pedal is released in gear) from a worn or damaged flywheel surface (warped by heat) or burn spots on flywheel surface and or clutch disk (also from heat or worn out disk). Mostly this is felt more than heard, but can be audiable. Might you be referring to the synco engagement hum on down shifting? Kind of a wining during a down shift?

I'm glad to learn that pinion angle is not an issue on cars at standard ride height. What would you estimate the net weight savings for this swap?

Mike

Justin said:
I can here the pressure plate disengage and engage.

Exactly and as far as the weight its right around 20 pounds. It feels so much better today I drove my Boss without a ton of clunks ;D

Justin said:
I run a DSS shaft no shims or anything needed. I am sure the dynotech one is the same. They cost north of 700 dollars either one you go with.

Doesn't the DSS driveshaft use an adapter of some kind?

Anyhow, I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a driveshaft from Shaftmasters who are currently offering 10% off and free shipping:

http://shaftmasters.com/3aldrfomu20v5.html

However, I suspect that the offerings from the DSS and PST that use CV style joints might be less likely to have vibration issues.

George

VTBoss302 said:
Justin said:

Anyhow, I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a driveshaft from Shaftmasters who are currently offering 10% off and free shipping:

However, I suspect that the offerings from the DSS and PST that use CV style joints might be less likely to have vibration issues.

George

I have had ZERO vibration.

Justin

VTBoss302 said:
Justin said:

George
it does use an adaptor but only to fit the much beefier CV joint. I am not knocking Dynotech but from what I have read its about 50/50 if its going to vibrate. My cousin has one vibrates pretty bad around 75mph. Dynotech wont take it back my cousin gave up talking to their customer service as they kept blaming him for improper install. I had one years ago on my cobra with no issues.

DSS has a wait time thats why lethal tends to direct people to dynotech. There is a discount code to use at lethal and it will get you the DSS for around 717 shipped. I prefer the DSS as you dont have to take off the pinon flange. That takes away the chance of messing up the crush sleeve and pinion preload putting the new flange on.

I too have had absolute zero vibrations with my DSS shaft have about 6k miles on it now.

Justin

here is my how too on the DSS shaft. The code is ALLFORDS for lethalperformance website.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-how-to/dss-drive-shaft-install/

it does use an adaptor but only to fit the much beefier CV joint. I am not knocking Dynotech but from what I have read its about 50/50 if its going to vibrate. My cousin has one vibrates pretty bad around 75mph. Dynotech wont take it back my cousin gave up talking to their customer service as they kept blaming him for improper install. I had one years ago on my cobra with no issues.

I do believe that your cousins driveshaft must have been installed improper for the simple reason dynotech uses the best ballancing system on the market and look whom the build driveshafts for----

Dynotech Engineering Services was started with Balance Engineering by General Motors in 1923. Let us put our 80 plus years of experience at high speed balancing to work for you on your driveshaft application.

We are the leading driveshaft manufacturer for teams in the following sanctioned racing bodies: NASCAR Nextel Cup & BUSCH Series, Craftsman Truck Series, NHRA, IHRA, SCCA, NSCA, SCORE, CORE, WSORR, OSS, and APBA.

Yes you can install a driveshaft wrong so make sure if you are doing it yourself read the instructions over and over.

Justin

jeepinocala said:

I do believe that your cousins driveshaft must have been installed improper for the simple reason dynotech uses the best ballancing system on the market and look whom the build driveshafts for----

Dynotech Engineering Services was started with Balance Engineering by General Motors in 1923. Let us put our 80 plus years of experience at high speed balancing to work for you on your driveshaft application.

We are the leading driveshaft manufacturer for teams in the following sanctioned racing bodies: NASCAR Nextel Cup & BUSCH Series, Craftsman Truck Series, NHRA, IHRA, SCCA, NSCA, SCORE, CORE, WSORR, OSS, and APBA.

Yes you can install a driveshaft wrong so make sure if you are doing it yourself read the instructions over and over.
he is a mechanic for over 25 years and has installed 100's of driveshafts in mustangs he knows what he is doing.

And they dont spin there shafts to 9000 rpms like DSS does so they dont have the best balancing equipment out there. the flaw is in the rear joint and the angle of the driveshaft for that joint is border line to much. Thats why ford went with a two piece 42 pound shaft to get the vibration out.

as for the we make shafts for nascar etc.....thats fine and dandy but they dont care about NVH.

I have had this argument before and I dont care to have it again. Both are good just one I know for a fact has issues from first hand experience. Another member here has the Dynotech shaft and took it off cause it vibrated so bad.

here is a link to that argument
https://trackmustangsonline.com/the-paddock/another-drive-shaft-supplier-option/

Sesshomurai

Justin, are there any aluminum 2 piece aftermarket shafts out there maybe?

Just when I think I'm ready to get the one-piece shaft I recall your post and the other posts about the issues with one-piece and I back off it.
Not sure what the long term solution is....

Justin

darreng505 said:
Justin, are there any aluminum 2 piece aftermarket shafts out there maybe?

Just when I think I'm ready to get the one-piece shaft I recall your post and the other posts about the issues with one-piece and I back off it.
Not sure what the long term solution is....
there are no two piece shafts that I know of. I wouldnt be the least bit scared of getting a DSS shaft. I had some questions about the install and had them answered right away via email. I have yet to know anyone with an issue with the DSS shaft.

Ace72Ace had a DSS shaft no issues either. I know a few friends local to me that have the DSS shaft zero issues as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors