The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ooops! did it again.... RIP Coyote....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, After my last misadventures, both the Boss and I ended up worse for wear..
upload_2019-12-28_13-56-53.png

the Head is visibly warped as well... So looking for a local used Gen1 donor engine then going to port the heads with Manley 38mm/32mm valves etc. Looks like cerclip on the piston pin came off. looking at the Wiseco piston that died.... it had two grooves for the Cerclip.... instead of one..

upload_2019-12-28_14-4-39.png
All this before before the March race season starts... Wish us luck!!!

7 rods and 6 pistons, LM cams and the boss crankshaft seem rescue-able from this mes.... But tempted to go to Manley pistons..... or maybe build two engines so I can get through a season :(

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-28_13-56-18.png
    upload_2019-12-28_13-56-18.png
    1 MB · Views: 101
Yikes, good luck with the rebuild.

download.jpeg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol... Thats the only way too look at it!!!

Now first thing I need is the 38/32mm valves to get the valve job underway... Ferrea or Manley?? Or no big difference between the two...

Does anyone have a Boss 302 head for sale (passenger side)... thinking of building a spare engine as well.

Lol... Thats the only way too look at it!!!

Now first thing I need is the 38/32mm valves to get the valve job underway... Ferrea or Manley?? Or no big difference between the two...

Does anyone have a Boss 302 head for sale (passenger side)... thinking of building a spare engine as well.
Ford is selling Boss 302 bare heads now. Heads are fully machined but have no valve train components. Might help you but definitely more cash to spend.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Not to throw stones. But, an aluminator short block or long block may be the way to go.
If there were extra grooves in the piston, the builder should have noted and raised a flag.

true.... Its just that a 2014 Coyote came up at a really good price and my guy knows he should have seen it the bad cerclip insert.. Getting it all together a a very good price... The aluminator would arrive down here at a 45% mark up thanks to taxes, duties and freight.....

Buying the engine right now. Hope I dont re re re regret it!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Damn...

Best of luck. You may also want to consider the Gen 2 head. It can be used on the Gen 1 block with the Gen 2 gaskets. They flow just as good as the 302 heads.

The head assemblies with valve & springs are about $400-500 each with a $250 core charge.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Damn...

Best of luck. You may also want to consider the Gen 2 head. It can be used on the Gen 1 block with the Gen 2 gaskets. They flow just as good as the 302 heads.

The head assemblies with valve & springs are about $400-500 each with a $250 core charge.

Have a set of Gen 1 LM cams and a new gen 1 timing setup as well. Since we are going to port and increase the valve sizes any who... went with a nice gen1 Long block, cost me US$2600

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
trying to decide on the following....

a) leave the new engines short block stock.... and track as is with the head work
b) buy two new Wiseco pistons and a rod and leave the bottom end forged
or
c) put new Manley forged innards with 11.5 to 1 to try to gain some hp...

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
:eek:o_O WTF, man?!

So the piston let go from a fracture around the wrist pin bore? The rest only have one circlip groove machined? Did it fail on the street?

I doubt I’d stick with Wiseco after that.

Good luck with the next rebuild...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
:eek:o_O WTF, man?!

So the piston let go from a fracture around the wrist pin bore? The rest only have one circlip groove machined? Did it fail on the street?

I doubt I’d stick with Wiseco after that.

Good luck with the next rebuild...

Yes, all the other pistons have one groove.. but the one that failed clearly has 2 side by side. Really would like a engine that lasts a while. Might complete the wiseco set just to be able to sell them to some one down here. But...not very keen to put them in again.

Track mishap! If you fast forward to the last lap.... you can see the failure. Water temp was high, but the water gauge red normal. Oil temps were just below 300

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If you go with Option C, will you have enough time to get the new tune dialed in before your 1st race?

Emailed Shaun yesterday. He is usually pretty quick to send a tune... But this time around what ever option I go with, the heads will be different so me thinks a tune will be a definite!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I'm sure he'll get you a tune but will you have time to get it to a Dyno or to a track (or unpatrolled road) to obtain some datalogs in order to make sure your knock sensors aren't kicking in with the higher compression? It might take a couple of iterations to get everything dialed in.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I will try with Wiseco but not holding my breath. Looking at the Gen1, not sure if its a good idea to take them to 38mm on the intake side.... leaves very very little valve seat behind.

After weighting the Boss valves was surprised how much lighter they are then after market valves... almost 10 grams!! So probably port the exhaust to 31.8mm with Boss Valves (only need to buy 2). The intakes thinking about stock gen2 valves at 37.3 to leave lots of seat behind. If I can find the weights of the Ferrea valves might go with 37.5mm, Find the Manely valves a little heavy.

Were the 2013/2014 Gen1 engines with the forged cranks??? or was that a change in the Gen2??

TMO Supporting Vendors