The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Operation BEAST MODE is in full effect - supercharger install with pics/vids.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So the guys at MTI Racing here in Marietta, GA are already working hard on the disassemble. An eom dyno pull is being uploaded to youtube as we speak and should be ready to view soon. Here's the link for that http://youtu.be/skc5_T5u6t4

Johnny, my main contact at MTI, has already sent me a few pics of the disassemble. I will continue to update this thread as much as possible. Looking to get my ride sometime late next week if all goes well. Jon Lund and team will be on the tune and my guess they will start the datalogging early next week due to the race they have to attend this week. Hope you enjoy.

-Beefcake special vortech w/ upgrade 8-rib pulley 3.47 inch / http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/bfckevortech.html

-Ford Racing Boss gauge cluster solo not with the stock gauges....I will have my own Wideband, Shift lift and boost gauges as a replacement. / http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-guage-pack-1012.html

- Jon Lund tune

10044521473_d42b3a2929_z.jpg

10044426025_c7050a7d78_z.jpg

10044520833_04ebc28f25_z.jpg

10044424545_59aedc36c3_z.jpg

Re: Operation BEAST MODE is in full effect - supercharger install with pics/vids.

8-rib pulleys already on!

10044443176_fb3bddc6fb_z.jpg

10044521883_6a6a384e4e_z.jpg

10044382734_04e503508b_b.jpg

Re: Operation BEAST MODE is in full effect - supercharger install with pics/vids.

Nice. i was thinking of pulling the trigger on this myself here shortly.

and the guys at MTI are pretty damn awesome.

Looks pretty good powder-coated!!

10071085283_b02d6e6443_z.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

f yeah!! I want a paxton in my boss so bad. I will have the head unit sent out to be powered coated black as well. glad you went the beefcake route :)

Troll out lol

Justin said:
f yeah!! I want a paxton in my boss so bad. I will have the head unit sent out to be powered coated black as well. glad you went the beefcake route :)

Troll out lol

thanks man, i haven't been able to sleep since the car has been away. should be getting her back this week sometime. I went with the vortech after beefcake told me it usually produces more torque than the paxton. They are both very similar and you can choose between the powder-coated black or satin unlike the paxton. Hopefully I'll have some more pics and a vid or two soon. Looking to get the dyno charts from the guys at MTI too.

IT's tough to beat a power adder, I have a 99 2 valve with a Kenne Bell, that car is so much fun to drive. I originally built it to run up to my parents in the Appalachian mountains. I added the blower to compensate for the altitude, then added Cobra brakes and an IRS. I love that car and all the accessories still work, P/S brakes, A/C, cruise. you couldn't do that by over modding a normally aspirated engine and still knock down 20 mpg on the interstate.

Being a complete novice to the supercharging experience, I wanted to provide a little bit of insight on what you should know when purchasing the beefcake special - or any s/c for that matter. This may sound very "beginner" but if it prevents anyone else from making the same mistake, then it's worth the read.

I just made an expensive mistake and didn't realize it until now because I was ignorant - and critical info was not provided to me. When ordering the kit, I had beefcake on the phone and we were going through all of the components that were to come with the kit. Proceeding through the checklist of items/upgrades, I asked about the upgraded 3.47 inch pulley w/ 8-rib bc I wanted to make a little more boost resulting in more hp of course. Why not right? The Boss stock motor can handle 700 hp easy - so I pulled the trigger. The beefcake kit comes stock with the 3.6 pulley and a 6-rib I believe which is supposed to put out anywhere between 9-10 psi. Up it to the shorter 3.47 and you'll be seeing somewhere between 11-12 psi.

What I was oblivious to (and was not made clear to me when ordering) was that on a stock motor, running 11-12 psi on pump gas is a big no-no without any upgraded fuel components where you can run E85. That or I would have to add a bunch of fuel accelerator every time I filled up - no thanks. Even with a conservative tune on the timing to prevent detonation, I was told I would still be running a risk.

As a result, I need to swap out the already installed pulley with the new one. This is another 4 hours of labor and the cost of the new pulley that I could have saved if I was made aware of this on my order call. We never had this discussion and it should have been brought to my attention on the order. I would never have ordered the shorter pulley if I knew I would have to convert the car to run E85. Hope this helps anyone trying to upgrade.

Justin

yankeehick said:
Being a complete novice to the supercharging experience, I wanted to provide a little bit of insight on what you should know when purchasing the beefcake special - or any s/c for that matter. This may sound very "beginner" but if it prevents anyone else from making the same mistake, then it's worth the read.

I just made an expensive mistake and didn't realize it until now because I was ignorant - and critical info was not provided to me. When ordering the kit, I had beefcake on the phone and we were going through all of the components that were to come with the kit. Proceeding through the checklist of items/upgrades, I asked about the upgraded 3.47 inch pulley w/ 8-rib bc I wanted to make a little more boost resulting in more hp of course. Why not right? The Boss stock motor can handle 700 hp easy - so I pulled the trigger. The beefcake kit comes stock with the 3.6 pulley and a 6-rib I believe which is supposed to put out anywhere between 9-10 psi. Up it to the shorter 3.47 and you'll be seeing somewhere between 11-12 psi.

What I was oblivious to (and was not made clear to me when ordering) was that on a stock motor, running 11-12 psi on pump gas is a big no-no without any upgraded fuel components where you can run E85. That or I would have to add a bunch of fuel accelerator every time I filled up - no thanks. Even with a conservative tune on the timing to prevent detonation, I was told I would still be running a risk.

As a result, I need to swap out the already installed pulley with the new one. This is another 4 hours of labor and the cost of the new pulley that I could have saved if I was made aware of this on my order call. We never had this discussion and it should have been brought to my attention on the order. I would never have ordered the shorter pulley if I knew I would have to convert the car to run E85. Hope this helps anyone trying to upgrade.
it already comes with rather large ID1000's so I would think with a good boost a pump or upgraded fuel pump it will be fine.

I am running E85 on my car as we speak. If its not readily available in your area I can see the hassle.

also why not just order a 8 rib 3.60" pulley so all that is required is a pulley swap on the blower?

also why not just order a 8 rib 3.60" pulley so all that is required is a pulley swap on the blower?
[/quote]

that's exactly what I did Justin. Should have just done that to begin with. The shop is swapping everything out tomorrow. Lesson learned though.

just a thought here but does anyone run a progressive alky kit with the higher psi pulley? The reason I mention it is because that's what we do on the buick grand nationals and turbo t cars. We run bigger turbos that need more octane or an alky kit. The kits that Razor makes are almost fool proof and they progressively kick in as needed. Once its set up correctly, all you have to do is keep alky in the reservoir. You don't use it until the throttle is depressed to a certain predetermined point and as you give it more throttle it injects more alky. Keeps us from having to run racing fuel on the street(and track) @ $13+/gallon.

Just a thought.....practical on the boss, I don't know. But it works great for high boost turbo cars.

Dave

KonaBlue302 said:
just a thought here but does anyone run a progressive alky kit with the higher psi pulley? The reason I mention it is because that's what we do on the buick grand nationals and turbo t cars. We run bigger turbos that need more octane or an alky kit. The kits that Razor makes are almost fool proof and they progressively kick in as needed. Once its set up correctly, all you have to do is keep alky in the reservoir. You don't use it until the throttle is depressed to a certain predetermined point and as you give it more throttle it injects more alky. Keeps us from having to run racing fuel on the street(and track) @ $13+/gallon.

Just a thought.....practical on the boss, I don't know. But it works great for high boost turbo cars.

Dave

Sounds interesting, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this before...at least not in a latemodel stang.

Justin

yankeehick said:
Sounds interesting, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this before...at least not in a latemodel stang.
oh I have I had it on my 96 cobra. the kits back then were no where near what they are now. They now have good fail safes. Snow performance seems to be the go to for the mustang crowd these days. I had one of their first kits years and years ago. The hard part was finding someone to tune for it. I think these days its much easier to find. on the cobra I converted the washer fluid bottle to the tank to hold the "boost juice" it is a viable option just not sure at what rate it would use up the juice for you.

Justin said:
oh I have I had it on my 96 cobra. the kits back then were no where near what they are now. They now have good fail safes. Snow performance seems to be the go to for the mustang crowd these days. I had one of their first kits years and years ago. The hard part was finding someone to tune for it. I think these days its much easier to find. on the cobra I converted the washer fluid bottle to the tank to hold the "boost juice" it is a viable option just not sure at what rate it would use up the juice for you.

yeah, that's what we do on the buicks....use the washer fluid bottle(new) and fill it with alky/methanol.

yankeehick said:

I would ask MTI if they work with progressive alky kits, if they don't maybe they know someone who does locally. You can call Julio, Here is his website www.alkycontrol.com. They are in Tampa FL but he has distributors and installation shops around the US. He makes the best kits for turbo buick cars and that I know for sure. Its worth looking into.

Dave

KonaBlue302 said:
I would ask MTI if they work with progressive alky kits, if they don't maybe they know someone who does locally. You can call Julio, Here is his website www.alkycontrol.com. They are in Tampa FL but he has distributors and installation shops around the US. He makes the best kits for turbo buick cars and that I know for sure. Its worth looking into.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I'm going to ask them what they know. The only thing is I've already told them to swap out the pulleys. It's good for thought in the future if I'm ever going to up the boost. If I do I might as well switch to e85. Which reminds me....I have to find out how many gas stations sell it here in the Atl.

TMO Supporting Vendors