The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Opinion Poll - Best Street/Comp Clutch Assembly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
The History: I might need to replace my clutch assembly for the second time. First clutch failure at 4,900 miles, and it sounds like the replacement OEM clutch is going again. This time with less than 5,500 miles. Current mileage on my Boss is 10,390 miles.

First failure, excessive noise, Clunk when pedal was depressed, and clunk again on release. In a parking or K-Turn type situation, it was Clunk, Clunk, Clunk. Then at highway speed, when warmed to normal operating temps, you would hear a gear type noise from the tunnel. Like marbles rolling around in an empty coffee mug. Clunk kept getting progressively worse once it began.

Same thing started a few days ago.

The Question: In your opinion or In your experience, who makes the best S/C clutch assembly with Flywheel for the high rev Boss 302 engine?

Was thinking about McLoud (sp)? The Red RST Twin Clutch and flywheel, saves 5 lbs over OEM.

Or maybe the (Blue) Spec Twin or the Spec 3+ with the full Face disc, I'm not a Puck fan.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and opinions.
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I would go with the mcleod RST and lightned flywheel all day long. its what I have in it now. the centerforce DYAD clutch I had it in previously was also very nice and shifted great at 8200. I would personally steer clear of spec....they are better at making clutches for 4 bangers it seems. the one I had in my cobra years ago lasted about 3 months.

just a FYI the boss flywheel will not work with the mcleod set up dowel pins are the wrong size so a new flywheel will be in order. I got my mcleod on JEGS for 687 and the flywheel for 389.

I was going to say, "just ask Justin." My vote is for the RST I put in mine but I have hardly driven it since.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Justin said:
I would go with the mcleod RST and lightned flywheel all day long. its what I have in it now. the centerforce DYAD clutch I had it in previously was also very nice and shifted great at 8200. I would personally steer clear of spec....they are better at making clutches for 4 bangers it seems. the one I had in my cobra years ago lasted about 3 months.

just a FYI the boss flywheel will not work with the mcleod set up dowel pins are the wrong size so a new flywheel will be in order. I got my mcleod on JEGS for 687 and the flywheel for 389.

Justin

I like the McLeod RST option too, and I would not install a new clutch on a used flywheel. Did you go with the aluminum or the steel flywheel?

Thank you for your help.
Dave
2HP

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I went with the McLeod RST, their steel flywheel and their bleed able clutch line. Also did the Ford racing shift kit, white line trans bushing, clutch assist spring removal, skip shift unplug and a pedal extension set from SP racing. I can report after careful break in the car performs as it should on track or in high RPM shifts. I do get a little chatter from the flywheel at low RPMs but I do not mind this. Any car I have done a lightened flywheel I have had some chatter. No opinion on other brands but the McLeod stuff is first rate. ( I do have a brand new Ford factory Boss clutch I will cut you a deal on if you just want a quick fix)

Justin

I went with the lightened billet steel flywheel. McLeod says it's the same weight as the stock flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Justin said:
I went with the lightened billet steel flywheel. McLeod says it's the same weight as the stock flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know, thank you for your advice.

Good news today, my dealer found the Clunk noise, the rear transmission mount was working itself loose, they replaced the fasteners and the Boss is running great. They had the transmission out twice in my car. Once to fix an oil leak, the top vent tube valve, and second to replace a clunky clutch, spring failure in the disc. I'm thinking this was related.

But, she is running really nice now. Thank goodness, I thought she was going to be down for a month or so again.

Appreciate your help.
Dave

steveespo said:
I am running the RST too. Very happy, like DP said there is some rattle at low RPM but it is 800 hp rated and it most likely won't blow apart at high rpm like the OEM Valeo clutch. Smooth pedal action.
Im glad I'm not the only one with a little chatter. It's not everytime but it does happen.

I have the RXT and it's overkill. I would buy an RST. The guys at McLeod did a good job upselling me and I usually don't go for the large fry. ;)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Rick
The RXT is a great clutch for drag racing, can absorb more shock loading than the RST due to the make up of the discs, more sintered iron in the facing and less spring in the discs. The McLeod discs don't have Marcel springs like our stock clutches did, but the facing is bonded on spring steel interleaved plates that make up the friction material riveted to the center hub. This gives a little cushion but no as much as the OEM design. The RXT less give than the RST that's where the abrupt engagement comes from, the noise is from the plates rattling against each other until they are fully locked together.

Justin

sadil said:
What are the benefits of going with an Aluminum flywheel? Is it overkill on the street?
less rotating mass. frees up some hp and allows the engine to rev quicker.

down falls. makes the car harder to drive on the street since less weight to carry the momentum when starting from a stop so you have to give it more gas etc to get the car moving. also if you miss a gear it will shot to the rev limiter much faster then with a steel. If you drag race it will really damper the fun as the car will be harder to launch without bogging.

TMO Supporting Vendors