The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Opinions needed - FR500S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loving my Boss but not really looking to build it out into a dedicated track car.

Was running MX-5s in the Skip Barber series but they just went bankrupt. Thinking it's time to bite the bullet and get my own car.

I have been presented an opportunity to purchase a very clean FR500S. Never raced never wrecked complete car. I drove one at Miller as my day 2 of the Track Attack and enjoyed it but that was before my Skippy days and didn't really know what I was doing.

So wanted to get opinions on using it for track days and NASA AIX or other ideas...

IMG_1964.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The only thing that car really needs (assuming it's in good shape and the suspension has been rebuilt) is a Coyote swap.
325ish crank HP in a car this heavy will only be fun for a short time.

Almost anything from a 2011-14 will swap on, as well.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I say do it. I think it would still be fun with the 3V, but probably a little tough for competition use. I'd want one for improving the driver. Just wish I had room for a car that isn't street legal!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I agree. Don't get me wrong, this will be an easy way to get into a competition-ready and reliable car, especially if you are just learning or just getting into W2W.

Now that being said, if that is your goal, typically the least expensive route is starting with a Spec Miata or something like that. Lighter, less powerful cars aren't as fast or as cool (subjective), but they chew up a lot less $$ in consumables/operational costs.

The FR500S will be a great starter and definitely give you room to grow in the future, but depending on your funding there may be less expensive options out there. But the sound and feel of the S197 is pretty fun :)

Thanks for the perspective. I'm most focused on driver development at this stage of the game so flat out power is not most important. I haven't run with NASA or SCCA - only ever did the Skippy series - and now that Skippy is belly up they can't write me the recommendation for a competition license so I'm a bit back at square one. I figure I'm going to have to do some HPDE work in it to get credentialed anyhow.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it...

I like the idea and think a FR500S would be a great track day car. W2W might be a different story but as Drew stated an engine upgrade is easy and relatively inexpensive. Good luck!

Bay Area
Dude, if it's a good deal, DO IT!!! Learn the car and enjoy it, then upgrade. If you don't lik the car sell it and find what you like. I'm pretty sure there are a few members on this forum that have done just that..

Thanks guys - the car is coming with a full stack of spares which is attractive.

The owner is allowing me to do a free track day with it at the end of the month to put it through its paces. If it feels solid I'm going to pull the trigger. Price with spares is just too good

Didn't see a price, but whaqt these guys said is true, the FR500 were great cars but underpowered. Right now there is a ton of PWC spec cars on the market from Phoenix, Kohr, Imperato and others, in the long run they may be a better deal, You might also score a deal from them on a Coyote.

Didn't see a price, but whaqt these guys said is true, the FR500 were great cars but underpowered. Right now there is a ton of PWC spec cars on the market from Phoenix, Kohr, Imperato and others, in the long run they may be a better deal, You might also score a deal from them on a Coyote.

$27,500 for the car. Never raced. Full stack of spares. Complete car with original drivetrain with 8,500 HPDE miles....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
$27,500 for the car. Never raced. Full stack of spares. Complete car with original drivetrain with 8,500 HPDE miles....

That is a killer price with the spares. Plenty of room to grow.
I am suspicious of the "never raced" since that's why these cars were created in the first place and I know a bunch of them got wadded up in the Mustang Challenge...but as long as it's straight and drives fine you are gonna get a good deal!

That is a killer price with the spares. Plenty of room to grow.
I am suspicious of the "never raced" since that's why these cars were created in the first place and I know a bunch of them got wadded up in the Mustang Challenge...but as long as it's straight and drives fine you are gonna get a good deal!

Well here's the full story - 77 2008 FR500S cars were built for Miller Cup. A hand full of the cars went unsold and were sold to Miller for the Ford Racing School. Miller then sold this car to this individual two years ago.

I confirmed with Watson Racing that this Chassis was sold to Miller at the end of the run and I confirmed with the Ford Racing School that the Chassis never had any body repair work..... SO can I say for sure it was "never" raced, no as the School was renting the cars out but the guy who has the car now has all of the service records from the school at Miller and the car was freshened up before being sold off.

I also confirmed with Roush Yates that the sealed engine in it is the original.

I know the car has been driven but I also know it's been well maintained so if it feels good I think the price is right?

On the bright side, the 3v 4.6 motor is very cheap if needed to be replaced.Low mile 3v motors are not that much. With spares thats a good price your getting.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Agree at that price it is an excellent buy. The beauty is you can fit many upgrades onto it, enjoy it and return it to original spec for the collector value in the future. Taking a street car and upgrading to this spec will cost way more and have no future collector value. Also in a few years the car will be vintage race eligible which is very nice series of events to participate in. If you don't buy it, share the contact info.

TMO Supporting Vendors