The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Opinions of this louver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just installed the mrt louvers. Took my son and I about 90 minutes. Not very easy to install but can be done. definately a 2 man job. Look great. will forward pictures tomorrow.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Did the older mustangs come with louvers back in the day? Or was it an aftermarket affair back then too?

Louvers just remind me too much of the late 80's IROC Z's that used to roam around town back when I was in HS.

Just cuirous does anyone have a inside looking out picture?

Those look killer! Can't wait to get my car so I can put mine on (have then already, just waiting on the car).

I might even wrap black vinyl on the decklid to mimic the 70 style as well, still deciding on that...

Justin said:
Did the older mustangs come with louvers back in the day? Or was it an aftermarket affair back then too?

Louvers just remind me too much of the late 80's IROC Z's that used to roam around town back when I was in HS.

Just cuirous does anyone have a inside looking out picture?

Ford did offer louvers for the '69-'70 Bosses (and Machs), which I believe could be installed by the factory or dealer. I have had difficulty verifying, but I have been told that the only way you could tell whether it was a factory vs. dealer install was based on the grommet used to mount the hinges/tie-downs. Keep in mind, to my knowledge, none of the rear deck spoilers were factory installed, but were delivered in the trunk of the car and at the buyer's discretion, installed at the dealership. My '69 Boss has specialized brass grommets in the roof and below the window (indicating factory install), as opposed to a plastic/rubber grommet found on other cars from that era (presumably dealer or owner installed). Ford should have considered offering this for the new gen Bosses. It would likely have been a big hit, just as it was back in the day.

As for the view, you cannot even tell that louvers are on the car when looking through the rear view mirror of my '69, and I am hopeful that the louvers of the new Boss won't present any view obstructions (and they don't require any drilling either...). A set of louvers on my '12 is the only non-factory item I am considering for the car (primarily so it can match my '69, and louvers just look so cool). But as for their real intent (speaking of cool), the addition of louvers had a tremendous impact on limiting interior heat accumulation while the car was under the hot afternoon sun. In addition to reducing the potential of sunstroke in your back-seat passengers, years of direct sunlight on the package tray was pretty devastating to the interiors of these cars (interior materials/plastics are better today than they were 40 years ago). Keep in mind, Ford did not offer A/C on the '69-'70 Bosses, so the louver was actually a pretty clever idea to keep the interior heat down. Aside from all that, IMHO, the baddest-looking Mustang ever built was the '69 Boss 302 equipped with louvers and rear-deck spoiler (and of course, painted yellow!). It commanded attention way back when, and it still commands attention today... The pics posted on this thread with the new gen Bosses wearing louvers stir the same emotions. If there ever was a car that was made for louvers, it was a Boss 302.

They do not line up as well as the 69-70 louvers did. I will not go as far to say it blocks the view but like stated the 69-70 louvers can not even be seen from inside while driving, with the new one you know they are there.

I attempted to install my louvers yesterday and it did not turn out to well. The template that they supply is a flimsy piece of paper that has 15 creases in it and will throw your measurement off by as much as 4mm which is far enough that it won't line up. I did tape everything down and smoothed it out but I guess I should have ironed it and used starch.Today I'll clean everything up and apply fresh 3m tape, make my own template and see how it goes. Hope this helps anyone installing their own louvers, make your own template out of thin cardboard and I'm sure you'll have better luck then my first go at it.

I sent an email to MRT and never did get a responds back.

Pic of the MRT louvers from inside. You really have to look hard to notice them.
Had a set on my 06 GT for about 5yrs.
Still thinking about putting a set on the Boss...GT079.jpg

Well I decided to take a break and do an update on my install. The louvers do look great but if everyone is as anal as I am about their car then beware of the install. The installation flyer you get really sucks. It seems like it was layed out in CAD but never tried in the real world, like the one we live in. I trashed MRT's template and made one of my own so I could get the hinge mounts set and it worked great. You really do have to be diligent when setting the mounts because you have a near zero tolerance. I looked at the drawing for the hinge placement ( CAD Drawing ) and there is no way that the hinge will line up with the roof line unless you hang the mount over the gap between the window and the roof. The instructions are a joke and I'd suggest working things out on you own, must have been out sourced to China. Enough complaining.
When you install this thing mount the lower latches, install the foam tape between slate 2 -5, file each the hinge slots out about 1mm for adjustment. If you follow there instructions you end up moving this thing around more then you want and can potentially scratch something. I've been lucky so far but I've come close, I was trying to do exactly as they wrote it but enough is enough. If anyone wants a step by step and the measurements for placement on doing this, it's pretty much burned in brain now just say so otherwise I'll just bury this experience and move on. Thanks for letting me vent, back to work. I'll post pics when I'm done, Like it or not. :)

Sesshomurai

racered302 said:
Well I decided to take a break and do an update on my install. The louvers do look great but if everyone is as anal as I am about their car then beware of the install. The installation flyer you get really sucks. It seems like it was layed out in CAD but never tried in the real world, like the one we live in. I trashed MRT's template and made one of my own so I could get the hinge mounts set and it worked great. You really do have to be diligent when setting the mounts because you have a near zero tolerance. I looked at the drawing for the hinge placement ( CAD Drawing ) and there is no way that the hinge will line up with the roof line unless you hang the mount over the gap between the window and the roof. The instructions are a joke and I'd suggest working things out on you own, must have been out sourced to China. Enough complaining.
When you install this thing mount the lower latches, install the foam tape between slate 2 -5, file each the hinge slots out about 1mm for adjustment. If you follow there instructions you end up moving this thing around more then you want and can potentially scratch something. I've been lucky so far but I've come close, I was trying to do exactly as they wrote it but enough is enough. If anyone wants a step by step and the measurements for placement on doing this, it's pretty much burned in brain now just say so otherwise I'll just bury this experience and move on. Thanks for letting me vent, back to work. I'll post pics when I'm done, Like it or not. :)

Thanks for this man. I just got mine and looked at the instructions and then looked around for the real instructions that might have fallen on the floor somewhere. I opened the template and it looked like an accordion. I was like WTF is this? Anyway, if you have those measurements, I could probably use them. Thanks again on this.

I ended up making a cardboard template 55cm wide and about 3 inches deep.I use metric because it much easier, I never did like using 3/32" or 2/64". I verified it by mounting the hinge mounts to the louver and sliding it in between the mounts making sure there was no gap, but it wasn't pushing in to the cardboard either. If you have some 1/4" hardboard I would use that instead.To find the center line I guesstimated where it was and put a piece of masking tape down and measured from the left to what I thought was center, took that measurement and used it from right to center, marked it on the tape and then found my center between the two markings on the tape.To stay consistent on your left, right to center measurements use some tape on the outside edge of the window as a starting ref.point staying square to the opposing side.I may be telling you something you already know but I'm trying not to leave anything out.I don't remember what the distance was from the edge to center but it didn't matter because I used this method.You could use a string and find dead center this way, as long as your starting point is consistent on both sides.Now the fun starts. Take the template and center it on the window and secure it when it's squared up. If you look at the louver you'll notice that the hinges are square to each other so that's the way the mounts should go on the window. I mounted mine flush with the top edge of the window, but I also reamed the slots out on the hinges a little bit so I had some adjustment and was able to get it perfectly centered. I am very anal about my car and if this thing was not centered or a little cockeyed in any way then I wouldn't leave it alone until it was right. As a sanity check do a dry run with the mounts attached to the hinges, you only get one shot at it and it's a biznitch taking the mounts back off again. Before you bolt your louver down permanently attach the lower hooks and put the rubber strip on the edges first, it's easier doing it on the ground while it in the air. Hope this helps.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel