The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Opinions on an X-Brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I see a handful of folks run an X-Brace, seat delete kit. Those who do run it, did you notice a big difference in chassis stiffness on road courses?

I'm looking at getting rid of the back seat in favor of a Watsons 4-point roll/harness bar and wondered if the X-brace was a nice add-on or something that actually made a noticeable difference.

THX

The X brace is mostly for looks. Is it still available for purchase? The roll bar will stiffen the chassis more than the X brace. The S197 chassis is pretty stiff to begin with.

Thanks all! I will skip it.

I ruled out the in-trunk version since I transport 2 of my Nitto NT01s in the trunk for track days. Trying to figure out how to get the other two with me if I add a roll bar. Used to put them in the back seat, in tire bags, but I don't think that will work with my pending setup.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
With the MM roll bar you can manage to load all four 295/30-18's through the trunk. With 305's I can have two in the trunk and have to unbolt the harness bar to get the other two in thru the front door to behind the front seats.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
VoodooBOSS said:
@Grant 302 is the Tetris master.

Ha! But this is also the reason why I haven't put my roll bar in either...

I could always put the bar in, *then* figure it out!

barspen said:
Thanks all! I will skip it.

I ruled out the in-trunk version since I transport 2 of my Nitto NT01s in the trunk for track days. Trying to figure out how to get the other two with me if I add a roll bar. Used to put them in the back seat, in tire bags, but I don't think that will work with my pending setup.

I don't use the trunk for tires and I don't see why you couldn't put two in the trunk and still get two in the cabin. I'm thinking the solution for me might involve removing the passenger seat since I have a trunk full of tools and spares.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Ive been thinking about the Cool Tech rear shock tower brace. I like that it has additional support brackets that mount to the undersides of the shock towers.

Seems to me as though this brace would be more effective in tightening up the S197 rear chassis. I've also noticed this is the only 4 point roll cage that includes a rear shock tower brace, which you can purchase separately.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-boss-302-parts-accessories/36-mustang-rear-tower-brace.html

What are your thoughts, any good? Worth it? Or, Waste of time and cash?
Thanks
302 Hi Pro

Grant 302

I'd expect more stiffness added from the X-brace over the shock brace.

In general, an efficient brace will turn a box or rectangle element into triangle elements.

FWIW, this is why I really like the Watson 4 point over other designs. The 'down bars' angle in close on the axle hump and form more triangles without added bars. The tradeoff is loss of the pass-through space.

I don't know if it's all still around by ford Performance makes a great "T2" kit that gives you all the suspension goodies you need to run that class. That gives you a pre -engineered baseline that is tough to beat. The parts are probably available separately or in an aftermarket equivalent. That is basically what is on Kurt's car at the runoffs.

Grant 302 said:
Ha! But this is also the reason why I haven't put my roll bar in either...

I could always put the bar in, *then* figure it out!

I don't use the trunk for tires and I don't see why you couldn't put two in the trunk and still get two in the cabin. I'm thinking the solution for me might involve removing the passenger seat since I have a trunk full of tools and spares.

I'd love to hear more or see a pic. I'm currently trying to figure out how best to fit four 295s in the car and still fit tools etc in an organized way.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant 302

Jake, these pics should help:

VoodooBOSS said:
This is what Grant is talking about. All of this came out of his car. :D

IMG_5708_zpshrf730zw.jpg
IMG_5709_zpsvgesso3j.jpg

Picking up tires from storage:
17443811774_7a372f18bb.jpg

18039915676_bb03df97d2.jpg

Stuff from the trunk:
18066403845_5a63365b33.jpg

Those were two 305/660s and two 305/645s. I've been able to fit 4 shorter 275/35-18s in two stacks.

Wow that's amazing!!!! And very helpful too. I'll have to do a trial run shortly. Anyone else have loaded up pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The X-brace does have some stiffening effect. I don't race but there's a turn near my house that has a bit of a dip in it. Sometime I can hear the X-brace shift a bit on the turn. I think one of the bolts needs to be tightened.

TMO Supporting Vendors