The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Opinions on Ford ESP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All,

I have a 2012 Boss 302 that will be 5 years old with about 22,500 miles come end of April. I have thought about selling but not sure and may keep it.
I currently have a an ESP Premium Plan that expires at the same time. I got it at the time I bought the new Boss in 2011, it was free because of some "issues".
Regardless if I sell it or keep it, I'm thinking of a new 5 year/48000 mile ESP Premium plan that will cost $1470 w/$100 deductible or $1270 w/$200 deductible.
My thought is if I keep it I've got some insurance if I toast the tranny or engine, or some other expensive item.
If I sell it the new owner would have 5 years of warranty.
What's your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Ed, That's a tough call. Usually a problem with the drive train would have surfaced by now especially with over 22k miles on the clock. If you don't track your Boss I would just stay with what you have given you might sell it in the near future. I've had my Boss since Oct 2011 approaching 27k without any issues (knock on wood).

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Doesn't your Mustang Boss 302 have to be within 36 months and 36,000 miles of its original delivery date to be eligible to purchase an ESP extended service contract?

If so, I don't think you'll be able to buy another Ford ESP plan, but there are aftermarket companies that will offer additional 5 year plans, but you have a lot of fine print with aftermarket companies.

Let us know how this works out for you,
Thanks,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
Doesn't your Mustang Boss 302 have to be within 36 months and 36,000 miles of its original delivery date to be eligible to purchase an ESP extended service contract?

If so, I don't think you'll be able to buy another Ford ESP plan, but there are aftermarket companies that will offer additional 5 year plans, but you have a lot of fine print with aftermarket companies.

Let us know how this works out for you,
Thanks,
302 Hi Pro

Hi 302 Hi Pro,

Since its still in warranty with the ESP that I got at purchase I can purchase another ESP as long as I do it before the first one ends.
I normally don't buy extended warranties but because of the current active one I can "extend" at a good price.
If I decide to sell I figure its a big plus being able to offer the buyer warranty for a $75 transfer fee to Ford.
If I decide to keep it for 5 years I've got warranty for $25/month.
Leaning to doing it!

Thanks,
Ed

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Ed:

Well if that's the case then I think it would be a big plus should you decide to sell it, and a big plus if you decide to keep it.

A win / win situation in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.
2HP

I've decide I'm going to get an ESP Premium Plan. 5 years and 48000 miles from the date I sign-up. My Boss anniversary date is 4/21 so I will do it a day or two before that date. Still looking for the best price but the range is from $2600 down to $1150. Will check one or two more places but I think Warrick is going to win.

Interesting, I inquired with Ford when I got my car but they didn't offer that plan. My cars was in service date was 5/11 and even though it only had 9k miles when I got it in Dec they only offered a 3/36k for 2000.

I went with a outside company that people I know use with their BMW's and Porsche cars with good service.
I have a 5 yr/75k miles bumper to bumper with $100 deductible from my sign up date for $1700.

k98dave said:
Interesting, I inquired with Ford when I got my car but they didn't offer that plan. My cars was in service date was 5/11 and even though it only had 9k miles when I got it in Dec they only offered a 3/36k for 2000.

I went with a outside company that people I know use with their BMW's and Porsche cars with good service.
I have a 5 yr/75k miles bumper to bumper with $100 deductible from my sign up date for $1700.

k98dave,
Don't know who you talked to but I believe what you were told was incorrect. As long as you were in your 3 year 36000 mile manufacture warranty, there are multiple warranties options with varying years and mileages.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
12Boss said:
k98dave,
Don't know who you talked to but I believe what you were told was incorrect. As long as you were in your 3 year 36000 mile manufacture warranty, there are multiple warranties options with varying years and mileages.

I don't want to jump into a discussion....But. Warranties like cars have regional and area specific values and conditions. There is a good chance you both were given facts which differ from area to area.

BTW. Warranties are one of the highest margin items for a dealer. If they can sell it...they will. ZERO invested and their cut can be above 50%.

12Boss said:
k98dave,

Read my post again, my car went in service 5/2011 so it was well over the 3 year time.

Good move on getting the extended warranty. Good selling feature if you decide to let it go....and good insurance against an expensive repair if you keep it.

Does anyone have the straight story on how TracKey impacts the ESP? The dealers I called said it was a "gray area" or didn't know. Before I pay for an ESP I want to make sure I'd be able to use it.

Boss1815 said:
Does anyone have the straight story on how TracKey impacts the ESP? The dealers I called said it was a "gray area" or didn't know. Before I pay for an ESP I want to make sure I'd be able to use it.

My 12 Boss had an excessive oil consumption problem and I have the track key. The service advisor indicated the tech saw that as well. My long block was replaced under the drive train warranty and there was never a word mentioned about the Track Key. Ford seems to be honoring the fact that Boss' are going to be tracked (track key or not) and as long as there is no obvious signs of abuse or extra modifications that might cause an engine failure, fixing the problem under warranty.

You might want to email Ford/Ford Racing directly and get there input on this to be sure. I'm pretty sure Dealers have to go to Ford before completing any work under warranty to get approval.

TMO Supporting Vendors