The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Opinions on this spoiler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Aside from looking cool (matter of taste I suppose), are there any drawbacks about this spoiler I should be aware of?
I will use it primarily for road racing.

http://www.carid.com/universal-spoilers/extreme-dimensions-body-kit-305981.html

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Darren,

A number of things to watch for:

• That is a very low price for a wing of that size. I'd check on quality of build, exact materials used in various sections, etc.
  • Do you know if the pedestal pieces can line up with your existing wing supports (not sure if you have an LS or not)
  • Does the company state what amount of downfoce is created by this wing?
  • The Tiger racing wing that is used in the 302S creates up to 250 lbs of downforce at speed. It requires special bracing in the trunk to prevent the rear hatch from collapsing
  • If this wing creates as much downforce as it looks like it may, the balance of your car will be off at high speeds with the nose raising up as the tail compresses - not something that you want (losing front end contact patch). When wings of this magnitude are used there is always supposed to be measures taken to keep the nose down while the tail is being compressed by the wing. The 302S does this in 3 ways (I believe): a) Large front splitter, b) lower overall car stance, and c) Vented front hood.

If this thing is as good mechanically as it looks it's a steal. You will need to address the challenges outlined above based on the speeds that the Boss will hit on the track. At 155+ MPH, you don't want your front end getting light ! ;D

Great reply by PeteInCT

To me, if a car is pure track, where you try to find every advantage to safe a second here or there, then the big wing makes sense, assuming it is properly engineered.

If the car is mostly on the street with occasional open track, looks ricer to me...

Just my opinon of course, its your car, do with it what you will.

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT,
Great response. I appreciate the details you provided and it all makes sense. I had similar concerns but I lack the experience to understand them before reading your post.
I too scratched my head about the low price of the wing. I'm not look for a ricer cosmetic addition. I "think" the material is flexible and thus may not require as much bracing but not as much downforce either. I will call/email the manufacturer for specifics.

For street, yeah, I would not mount this wing.

It probably does not line up with the boss (I don't have an LS) wing, and I'm ok with that.

I'll report what I find about this and post here for future people.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
darreng505 said:
PeteInCT,
Great response. I appreciate the details you provided and it all makes sense. I had similar concerns but I lack the experience to understand them before reading your post.
I too scratched my head about the low price of the wing. I'm not look for a ricer cosmetic addition. I "think" the material is flexible and thus may not require as much bracing but not as much downforce either. I will call/email the manufacturer for specifics.

For street, yeah, I would not mount this wing.

It probably does not line up with the boss (I don't have an LS) wing, and I'm ok with that.

I'll report what I find about this and post here for future people.

Darren, I checked my LS and the holes don't line up. The LS also has 4 sets of holes, not 2, which I forgot about until I checked.

I'll give my very honest opinion on this for what it's worth. If you are looking to make improvements to the handling of the car at the track (all feelings for the cosmetic enhancement that a cool wing brings), then a rear wing is probably not where you want to start. Some additional food for thought:

1) If I had to purchase one thing (ha ! My wife is still laughing....) for my LS it would be the MGW shifter. For me this was a huge issue that was totally solved with this shifter. Others have not been so lucky and still see issues with shifts at high revs.

2) If you are looking for some Aero improvements I'd consider the LS components (front splitter and rear wing). Not as cool looking at the wing you've found here but they do work, and they work well together. IMHO, the front splitter looks pretty basass too ;D

3) Even before Aero changes I'd recommend the Maximum Motorsports camber plates. The -2.2 degress of camber that I have dialed in has made a huge diference in the turn-in capabilities of my LS, especially when coupled with the next item:

4) Lighter wheels and wider, good rubber. Unfortunately the Boss comes with some heavy wheels and (IMO) crappy tires. Pirelli Corsa's that my LS came with are fine for street use but they totally miss the mark on the track. I took Gary's (Cloud9) advice and went with 18" lightweight wheels and Nitto NT-555R-II tires (285 up front, 305 in the rears) and stil praise him for that suggestion. I get great wear out of those tires and they stick very well in the turns. There are tires that are even stickier but none that have the number of heat cycles that the Nittos can deliver (I get anywhere form 24 to 28 cycles).

This is excellent advice.

PeteInCT said:
Darren, I checked my LS and the holes don't line up. The LS also has 4 sets of holes, not 2, which I forgot about until I checked.

I'll give my very honest opinion on this for what it's worth. If you are looking to make improvements to the handling of the car at the track (all feelings for the cosmetic enhancement that a cool wing brings), then a rear wing is probably not where you want to start. Some additional food for thought:

1) If I had to purchase one thing (ha ! My wife is still laughing....) for my LS it would be the MGW shifter. For me this was a huge issue that was totally solved with this shifter. Others have not been so lucky and still see issues with shifts at high revs.

2) If you are looking for some Aero improvements I'd consider the LS components (front splitter and rear wing). Not as cool looking at the wing you've found here but they do work, and they work well together. IMHO, the front splitter looks pretty basass too ;D

3) Even before Aero changes I'd recommend the Maximum Motorsports camber plates. The -2.2 degress of camber that I have dialed in has made a huge diference in the turn-in capabilities of my LS, especially when coupled with the next item:

4) Lighter wheels and wider, good rubber. Unfortunately the Boss comes with some heavy wheels and (IMO) crappy tires. Pirelli Corsa's that my LS came with are fine for street use but they totally miss the mark on the track. I took Gary's (Cloud9) advice and went with 18" lightweight wheels and Nitto NT-555R-II tires (285 up front, 305 in the rears) and stil praise him for that suggestion. I get great wear out of those tires and they stick very well in the turns. There are tires that are even stickier but none that have the number of heat cycles that the Nittos can deliver (I get anywhere form 24 to 28 cycles).

Sesshomurai

5 DOT 0 said:
This is excellent advice.

PeteInCT said:

Yes. And advice I will follow. BUT...hehe....Can I still have the wing in my garage to mount for looks?!?!?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I wish those damn pedestals weren't so wide. They look the same width as what's on my LS now but because the wing is higher they look odd to me. Looks like these line up with the stock holes on the LS, no ?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Key question to ask, " Was the wing done in a wind tunnel to make sure it works on a Boss?"

Sticking a wing on many cars can cause more problems than it helps , as the balance is not just the back end of the car, but does the splitter in front exert the proper amount to keep the car in sync.

Much better chance that the Kenny Brown wing has been in the tunnel since his son is Paul Brown and likely there was some testing to see that it worked with all the other components -- splitter , hood, etc. I would always ask , since regardless of the cost when the downforce is distributed unevenly it can be more of a detriment than a help.

PeteInCT said:
I wish those damn pedestals weren't so wide. They look the same width as what's on my LS now but because the wing is higher they look odd to me. Looks like these line up with the stock holes on the LS, no ?
It's a direct bolt-on from the LS spoiler holes. I'd paint it similar to the OEM with the underside black to make the supports look smaller and the top either the color of the car or matching the stripes.

I believe Ford had some involvement in the development of that wing but haven't confirmed that. It's designed to be middle ground between the LS and the G-Stream wing used on the 302S.

TMO Supporting Vendors