The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge with the Boss recap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[size=12pt]This last weekend I accepted Ken Thwaits challenge (of Showtime Motorsports) and towed my Mustang to MIS to face him in the Optima Search for the Ultimate Street Car and after a rocky start getting the car out there my team and I won the three thousand dollar prize (more about the challenge here: https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/ken-thwaits-3000-bounty-optimas-search-ultimate-street-car/). We also secured an invite to the Invitational in Las Vegas during the SEMA show by winning the "Spirit of the Event" award courtesy of K&N.[/size]

0100747177577435_5092538986924754452_n_zpszzwstlqz.jpg

We finished 2nd in Autocross a tenth behind a nationally (5th in nationals) competitive ESP driver and car (and all around great guy Ryan Finch), 4th in speed stop merely a tenth behind the legendary Danny Popp driving a very highly modified Z/28 and 6th on the road course portion despite it being my first time on a road course. All this in a field of 25 entrants which included a few Invitiational winners and experienced Optima competitors in cars with much more power and money in them.

0100747177697195_7490997399188488225_n_zpsuzvivsau.jpg

We will be heading to Vegas to compete and win the GT class with a faster, better car and a more experienced driver in the road course portion. I want to thank my teammates: my father-in-law Bob who is the heart and comedian of the team, and his best friend Jay who is the unstoppable no sleep required trailer and mechanical guru.

0100747177722145_7822177890305555218_n_zps6bdtxgmu.jpg

Special thanks go to Dean Martin of Rehagen Racing, Dave Woodle of DWW Motorsports, Terry Fair of Vorshlag, Filip of CorteX Racing, Bill Garrett of Exedy Clutches, Pete (PeteInCT) from Track Day Solutions for the amazing Pagid RST2's, Eric Kaul , Anthony Imperato and Dan Smith for enabling my reckless spending of money and my wife, daughter, friends and family who supported me and continue to do so. Lastly, Ken Thwaits for being a great ambassador of the event and all around stand up guy. If anyone is looking for a great weekend that is an absolute steal for the money/seat time ratio than this is your event!

10100747177622345_505383484500482815_n_zpsfvfm30nk.jpg

Event results:

http://clubregistration.net/clients/usca/results/overall.cfm?eventID=6455&class=GT

My god thats great. Way to go!!
No pun intended but I thought for just a moment that it was the 21 car i was looking at. Its that Red hood on a white body that lead me to think that.

Thanks guys, if anyone is on the fence about this event you should get your car teched, bleed your brakes and GO!!! It is an absolute steal for 250 bucks for first timers for the whole weekend! I challenge anyone to have more fun in their street car than one of these events. Go to driveusca.com

Grant 302 said:
Congrats on the WIN! 8)

Are you going to run in any of the other events later this year?

Besides the Invitational in Vegas no, I need to give my wallet time to recover and the rest of the events are too far or incompatible with my calendar, which is a shame because these events ARE A BLAST!

Dave, that's awesome and congratulation! Please tell us more about your car setup.

NFSBOSS said:
Dave, that's awesome and congratulation! Please tell us more about your car setup.

Sure thing!

Drivetrain: Exedy/Rehagen Racing special clutch, MGW Race spec. Stock motor, exhaust etc

Suspension: AST 5200 Grand Am spec shocks from Rehagen, Boss 302S front control arms and spherical bushings, Boss 302S extended ball joints, Steeda adjustable front sway bar, Eibach linear rate springs 500lb front 300 lb rear, alignment with -3.0 degrees of camber and 1/8 inch toe out, Boss 302S Multimatic UCA with spherical bushings, Boss 302S rear lcas/brackets, Boss 302S rear sway bar, Cortex Watts link welded in, Vorshlag/Forgestar 18x11's with 315 Rival S's all around, Pagid RST2 front brake pads on DBA clubsport rotors with RS56's in the rear (talk to Pete!) Bob's Auto sport catch can/overflow can (which due to design/clearance issues is now punched up into the diff tunnel),

Interior: Cobra Suzuka GT seats with Cooltech Boss 302 harnesses, Laguna Seca gauge pod, Boss 302S steering wheel with NRG quick disconnect

Cooling: Franken-Cooltech oil cooler, Boss 302S radiator, Boss 302S grille, Tiger Racing CF lift off hood, creative re-routing of coolant flow on the motor from DWW

There are some other things in there I am forgetting but that is the main stuff!

That's awesome! I love watching that series. Just saw it last week and was wondering when somebody would throw a Boss in the mix. Your right some of those cars are insane but looks like a great bunch of people involved.

ArizonaBOSS said:
WOOOOOOO! Nice work dude!

What are you going to do with the money? :)

Good luck at the invitational!

PS--nice PCE shirt!

What a I should do with the money: pay bills/debts

What I will do with the money: get power upgrades, fresh set of tires before Vegas, aero, driveshaft, aim mxl2 :)

Hambone said:
That's awesome! I love watching that series. Just saw it last week and was wondering when somebody would throw a Boss in the mix. Your right some of those cars are insane but looks like a great bunch of people involved.

The people there were awesome, especially the organizers. A lot of these guys travel the country doing this stuff and form strong friendships that can be daunting for first timers to feel included, but everyone is super nice

I was at the Vegas Ultima Street Challenge 2 years ago helping out, a friend asked if any Bosses ever competed, the guy kinda shrugged and said the only one to ever be competitive had a Chevrolet motor in it. Go show them who the real BOSS is!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

An awesome youtube video and preview courtesy of my awesome instructor Harris:

www.youtube.com/embed/9Lwvva9hNqE

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel