The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ordered a MGW shifter and TK software!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I got paid today and went right online and ordered the MGW shifter and thanks to the forum called tousley ford and ordered the software voucher for the TK upgrade. should get the TK software end of next week he said. Not sure when the MGW shifter will get here as they build them 50 at a time and ship in ordered recieved. Can't wait!!

Justin

CaliMR said:
After you instal the shifter, you need to take a CA vacation and help me install one ;D
lol shifters arent that bad. I will see what I can do for a how too(with pics). and I will be doing it in my driveway as per usual lol

I probably won't do it until next winter anyways, I am only having the 1st gear issues and they seem to be getting better.

TK is way better than stock.

Justin

CaliMR said:
I probably won't do it until next winter anyways, I am only having the 1st gear issues and they seem to be getting better.

wish you could go higher than 5k for the two step. from my findings 6500 seems to be the spot with MT et streets on the back.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
CaliMR said:

Keep in mind that you'll need to lower the MT-82 about 4 inches or else you'll be in for a heck of a good time trying to assemble the MGW shifter. Doing this install on your back is only for the very brave, there's a reason why they don't show you actually assembling the unit in the car in their video (the part where they do the assembly on a desktop). They say it's so you can get a better view of how it all fits together, I'm not so sure ;D When done though, you'll love it.

Justin

PeteInCT said:
CaliMR said:

Keep in mind that you'll need to lower the MT-82 about 4 inches or else you'll be in for a heck of a good time trying to assemble the MGW shifter. Doing this install on your back is only for the very brave, there's a reason why they don't show you actually assembling the unit in the car in their video (the part where they do the assembly on a desktop). They say it's so you can get a better view of how it all fits together, I'm not so sure ;D When done though, you'll love it.
thats not a problem I will just unbolt the cross member and let it hang. I have done the 05-09 shifters on my back and didnt drop the trans...its pays to have small hands and thin arms. I prefer to be on my back over a lift cause its easier on my shoulders and neck if I am laying down

Justin

PeteInCT said:
Sounds like you know exactly what you're in for. Then I should have had you here in CT ! ;D
yeah back when I bought my Cobra a long time ago I bought a mech tool set and refused to pay someone to work on my car at all costs. So everything that was on that car I did it. T-56 swap, multiple gear swaps, supercharger etc (had every bolt on they made). Over time I have acuired lots and lots of tools and experience. Then I bought my 06 did a motor swap, head swap, gears, stall convertor everything that was done to that car was done by me. I help out local guys when they refuse to pay shop prices. I charge a little bit for the work depending on what it is (long tubes no way I do those free or gears). Been working on mustangs for the better part of 8 years now. only thing I havent done is build a motor. furthest I have had a mod motor down to is a short block.

Best tools to have that have saved me so much time and headache are a set of gearwrenches. I have three sets. second best tool purchase I made was an air compressor and air tools.

My shifter shipped today. I was also going to do it on my back. The difference is, you sound like you know what your doing, lol. I'm pretty handy with a wrench so I'll see how it goes. Hopefully it won't be to bad. I did notice in the installation video the guy had busted up his knuckles. Mine will probably look the same when I'm done. Hope the shifter is as good as everyone says.

Hey I just order a 2013 Black Boss LS two weeks ago due to have my car in May according to the dealer. Does anyone know if after picking up my car will the dealership install the shifter or is that a dumb idea. I am not concern about cost I am concern about quality of work. If I had a lift it would not be an issue to install myself and I am not comfortable doing it on my back under the car. The reason why I ask about my dealership doing it is because they are installing a 3M Clear bra on my hood, bumper, mirrors and rocker panels. Actual they subcontract the work out and i personally know the guy doing the work ans it is absolutely worth the money.

Probably, you could ask them. The local dealer told me they would install pretty much anything that didn't require bodywork/paint as they don't have in house bodyshop. Some places will only install stuff you bought from them, so you would end up paying markup on the shifter. Though honestly, unless they are willing to throw a warranty on it, you are probably better off going to a tuner or repair shop. Some dealer mechanics are really good, but some are not. You can also ask around your local car scene and see who people recommend.

2013BossLS said:
Does anyone know if after picking up my car will the dealership install the shifter or is that a dumb idea.

It is not a bad idea depending on your dealer. I was going to do mine along with the driveshaft but since the dealer was replacing a clutch I had them do it all at the same time. They did a great job but I am lucky to have a better then average service department.

boss2511 said:
CaliMR said:

wish you could go higher than 5k for the two step. from my findings 6500 seems to be the spot with MT et streets on the back.
I feel your pain.I went quicker at the track with the stock key cause of the 5000 rpm max launch.6500 is the sweet spot for lauching these car's on slicks.

I'll test the LC defeat this weekend if the sun comes out, but if it works it is up to you guys to see if TK is better than normal.

TMO Supporting Vendors