The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ordering a New GT. Wing or Wing Delete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I promise this isn't a fashion thread.

I am new to the forum (and long time lurker) although not new to Mustangs. I have owned seven Mustangs from a SVRA prepped 1965 K-Code Coupe to a 575hp full Maximum Motorsports equipped 91 Fox Coupe track car. However, I am very new to the S550 and trying to learn as much as I can. I would like to order a 2019 or 2020 GT and make it a nice street /occasional track car (suspension, diff cooler, wheel /tire set up, etc over time). Nothing too serious.

I am not much of a wing guy but if there is function to something I am all for it. I have read the new GT wing offers about 60lbs of down force at 80mph. Will the minimal 60lbs of down force make a difference in my track day experience? I doubt I would ever add a wing in the future (unless super clean and functional) if I didn't go with the factory wing. I know a good wing can make a huge difference but if the stock wing really doesn't do much for performance I would prefer to leave it off.

Keep in mind my last track car had 15" bias ply Good Year Blue Streaks so the S550 even stock will be like driving a go cart.

I appreciate the input.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Welcome to TMO!

Unless you plan on running Roval-style courses, I think you're best leaving it off. Even if you doubt you'd put a better wing on later, I think that's a better option...and have the look you prefer now.

DFW, TX
Keep in mind my last track car had 15" bias ply Good Year Blue Streaks so the S550 even stock will be like driving a go cart.

I know the feeling...

I would leave off the spoiler or keep a look out for a spare trunk lid without a spoiler on eBay. I managed to find one the same color as my car without a spoiler, no holes, for a future wing project.e56bf1abba45a1fcd26094d69e0b2582.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bitchen fastback! Love the Terlingua stickers on the side.

I recently bought a 67 Mustang to build in to a T/A car, but it was a basket case 67 and I just don't have the money or time to build a vintage car the way I would like; so it went away.

I am super excited to build an S550; my favorite Mustang since the Fox bodies (vintage are still my favorite). I can buy the basic car and do a little at a time. The 67 would require a minimum of 30 to 45k just to get it on the street.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Welcome!

It might help to balance the car at high speeds, but if you delete, you can always add later, or add a different style and not have to cover up any existing (different) holes.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel