The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OS Giken vs Torsen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant thanks for the depth on the Torsen. I mainly autocross with a handful of trackdays a year so a good compromise between the two is what I’m shooting for. Sounds like the Boss T2R might fit the description. I know you run a Torsen of some flavor in your car. Which bias is it? Also how much power is Axstang putting down?

There’s a local guy here that specializes in OSG setup so I was gonna have him go through mine if I went that route. I think I have ruled it out honestly though. As Speedboosted said the couple tenths faster it would be aren’t really worth the extra $1000 .

I don’t do any drag so the worst shockload the diff will get is R Comp launches at autocross. So it’s Torsen 2.7/4.0 vs. TrueTrac now...

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Do these Torsen differentials allow "regular 2008 GT axles" to be used directly? I think I'm in for a ring & pinion as it is, and I'd consider stepping up to a Torsen while I'm at it . . . as long as doing so doesn't require extra modification to work.

Norm

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Norm Peterson I'm not sure if there is any fundamental difference in the 8.8 rear throughout the life of the S197--to my knowledge they are all 31-spline axle shafts with the same lengths etc. So it should fit any V8 S197 rear end.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Thanks, guys.

What I'm not seeing in the pictures is a clear indication of where the U-washers (aka C-clips?) would go. I've done a couple of differential changes on a different car and had to replace axle seals on this one, so I've at least seen the inside of an axle.

Norm

On the FB page Billy Johnson gave a strong recommendation for the Eaton True Trac. I know nothing about the different diffs but wanted to pass this along.

3905EFD7-7785-4FA4-8373-837A348F0273.jpegB018592E-048C-4392-AD85-52A54119B8F3.jpeg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Thanks.

On to deciding which one to get. I'm thinking that having only a normally-aspirated 4.6L (and no more autocrossing) might mean less need for a big TBR.

Norm

I think the choice, then, would come down to tires you use. I think the higher bias makes more sense toward more grip with larger and/or stickier tires. The N/A FR500S uses the 4.0 bias unit originally with 245 R1 slicks IIRC. It *should* be faster as you approach tire lifting conditions. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Norm,

I pulled a GT500 rear end from a salvage yard and rebuilt it with a Torsen T2R (4.0 bias) and installed 3.73 gears. The stock axles worked on mine.

http://stangsunited.com/showthread.php?4777-Torsen-T2R-Recommendations

Torsen recommended the 2.7 to this guy that had a GT500 based on his power level. This was back in 2011 though so I think that was before the latest version of the T2R. Funny because in the email the Torsen rep recommends that he not use the T2R if he is on slicks despite the fact that the T2R was developed for a race car on slicks (Fr500). I think all things considered the 2.7 Torsen is gonna be the best for my car. It has a slightly higher TBR than the TrueTrac and is more reliable than the 4.0 unit for a powerful car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel