The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OTR Air Intake (Over The Radiator)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I am looking to gain some insight into OTR intakes, their issues in regards of MAFs and everyone's experience with them in road racing.

Issues that have been brought up were the turbulences inside the intake pipe can mess with the MAF and can lean out the tune. Concerns about motor health were voiced by multiple individuals.
I tilted my radiator and this certainly looks like an attractive opportunity to optimize post-rad air flow and allow for lower AITs.

Dream setup:
K&N Engineering Ford Mustang RTR using a MAP sensor:
IMG_0201-L.jpgIMG_0199-L.jpg
IMG_0207-L.jpgIMG_0179-L.jpg

Drag Race setups using MAFs.
received_363943479192853.jpgreceived_520009492832257.jpgreceived_1023558141903607_8002.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
That was what I was thinking. And, if you are drag racing wouldn't you want to get rid of that extra weight? It did not make sense to me.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
@Fair is the only person I know who has done this.
It's in his write up on their S197 TT3 car.

Been looking at all their cars but have not been able to find good info about the OTR on big red. It looks like the biggest issue with using and OTR on a Coyotes is that they rely on using a MAF which can be quite sensitive to the turbulent air that ram intakes nd OTRs induce.

From what I gathered it can be done and works fine at WOT but it can easily introduce drivability issues or the car to go lean. LS motors with a MAP or aftermarket ECUs using MAP do not have this issue.
Big red is the only road course car I could find with an OTR and a MAF. But their latest blue s197 build is not utilizing an OTR either and going the traditional intake route.
@Fair would you go OTR again or did you guys ran into specific issues that made you avoid now?

That was what I was thinking. And, if you are drag racing wouldn't you want to get rid of that extra weight? It did not make sense to me.
Could simply be to comply with rules for classing. I seen people do worse things to brute force stay in lower TA classes and those were honestly the most memorable seasons.

Big red is the only road course car I could find with an OTR and a MAF. But their latest blue s197 build is not utilizing an OTR either and going the traditional intake route.
@Fair would you go OTR again or did you guys ran into specific issues that made you avoid now?

Big Red drove fine after the new radiator and intake tract. We didn't have any issues with it.
We built that intake as part of an aero makeover. By itself we would not do it. It's too much fabrication for too little gain.

DSC_5428-L.jpg

And the Blue Coyote swap car didn't get the OTR intake because it's a relatively mild build. The customer has mild front aero on the car, so used a commercial air box for the intake to separate it from the hot radiator air.

IMG_8145-L.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Big Red drove fine after the new radiator and intake tract. We didn't have any issues with it.
We built that intake as part of an aero makeover. By itself we would not do it. It's too much fabrication for too little gain.

View attachment 83852

And the Blue Coyote swap car didn't get the OTR intake because it's a relatively mild build. The customer has mild front aero on the car, so used a commercial air box for the intake to separate it from the hot radiator air.

View attachment 83853

Many thanks for filling us in @modernbeat!
That is good to hear. I will take your MAF placement and overall design reference and go ahead than. Worst case I can always go back to the CJ snorkel.

TMO Supporting Vendors