The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Our Time trail team went to the dyno...interesting GT/Boss/ZL1 comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We went to have some fun at the dyno the other day, A camaro SS, a Zl1 with tune and CAI, a ZL1 wth Borla headers and exhaust plus tune and CAI, A 2013 Mustang GT with BBK headers, custom catless exhaust, BBK 85mm TB, Boss manifold, SVE canned tune and finally my 2012 Boss with a Kooks LTH and catted xpipe and a KN filter with stock tune.

The Borla ZL1 got 535rwhp/520 torque
ZL1 with tune 505rwhp/498
Camaro SS with 435rwhp/415torque
Boss with Kooks 403rwhp/380
the 2013 GT 402rwhp/366

The kooks was a big success with the boss getting peak torque at 3500 rpm and staying above 320 all the way to Redline at 7400. My buddies GT got 366 torque at 4500rpm. He still womps me at the track though.

Nice comparison!

I thought for LTH's tunes were mandatory?!
Did they take A/F rations, how's your car running with the stock tune and your engine mods?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I took the AF ratios for the two mustangs with my SCT 4. I thought you did not need a tune for LTH headers but am having lots of misgivings. Just going over the car now to get everything running ok then ordering a Lund tune. Changing O2 sensors etc. I might be having a leaky header. The DYno shop did not have any AF gear working

The car feels fine and runs great, the headers made a big boost to the torque and let me keep up to the ZL1's

We Found the GT had a busted O2 sensor on bank 2 with the log! no CEL, maybe it was the canned SVE tune. Still put good power out though. bank one got measured AFR of 0.79

The GT has more engine goodies on it but it also runs smoothly. Forgot to mention!! all the cars are automatic except my Boss, the GT is the fastest at the track, better driver!

I think your car would definitely benefit from a tune with the long tube headers. That's a nice torque increase but the HP seems a little low. I know all dyno's read differently. My car put down 404.5rwhp & 349.74rwtq SAE at 80F completely stock with the exception of the side baffles being removed. It had 770 miles on it at the time. A 30ft-lb increase in torque is no joke and I'm sure you can feel that!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
ArizonaBOSS said:
What mods did that Camaro SS have? Those are really high numbers for a stock LS3.

Actually it was the first time out for the SS since a engine build, its has a complete Borla exhaust and headers, manifold, ported heads, high lift cam and all the other goodies. It was with a canned tune doing dyno time for a custom tune. He took it to the track next day and the poor engine caught on fire. Sad day. But its back in the shop for repairs.

I imagine it will pull 450 at the wheels when/if he has it running ok. The SS is manual. The do not sell 6 manual ZL1's in Chile.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
GotCurvz said:
I think your car would definitely benefit from a tune with the long tube headers. That's a nice torque increase but the HP seems a little low. I know all dyno's read differently. My car put down 404.5rwhp & 349.74rwtq SAE at 80F completely stock with the exception of the side baffles being removed. It had 770 miles on it at the time. A 30ft-lb increase in torque is no joke and I'm sure you can feel that!

Yes! Love the Kooks, the increase in torque changed the way I drive, using third a lot more since it usually right at 3500rpm. It also saves the mt82 a bit!!

If you have time, make some more wide open throttle passes with the stock tune. The computer learns and makes the motor run better. You'll have to live with the CEL though.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My Boss has mostly track time now. Actually the only street driving I have done recently is to and from the track and logging the car. Shauns (AED) advice stuck in my head, never race the car with a CEL light on!! The only code I have is P0420 and 30. Looks like my cats did not like the Kooks much. But they do not light up a CEL.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel