The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Out of the ashes, a Phoenix is born

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got home last night after work earlier than I normally do so I decided to do a few things last night in order to pass the time. It was nothing too involved, just putting on some stickers haha.

A few months ago I ended up buying some 2013 tail lights for a steal. The ebay listing for the right side of the car listed that there was a small crack in the tail light, but it was still working. Seeing as how it was $250 I jumped on it. When I got it though, the crack was there as well as so many tiny little scratches and marks and crap so yesterday I grabbed the tail light and some rubbing compound and got the marks and scratches out of the tail light so that it looks pretty much like new except for the scratch. I can live with it though for $250 until I find one in better condition.

I also wanted to thank @PeteInCT for the help in getting me a Laguna Seca logo for the back. I know I confused him a bit since it was sort of an odd request since most people want to be able to see the decal haha. I had gotten a RTR rear decklid panel for my car and I wanted to have a Laguna Seca logo somewhere on the decklid, but I also liked how the RTR logo was sort of hidden. So I wanted something as close to the original logo as I could. It is a small detail that will almost always go unnoticed, but I think will add nice personal touch to the car when you actually see it. So I ended up putting it on the decklid and it came out awesome I think. You can barely notice it in low light conditions:

28482658232_f7821abef5_b.jpg

In direct light though it really pops:

28482642132_04c84e495c_b.jpg

I also got the AM smoked center section lights as well and decided to put them on. Another install so easy even I can do it haha. If you look really closely you can see the crack in the center light on the right tail light.

28040898724_6518fa39c4_b.jpg

Then the finished version:

28660323045_58d44412db_b.jpg

I also got the notification that the car might be going on the dyno today so with any luck I can get it back and ready on Friday. If not, no big deal, but it would be nice.

28576473410_07da6b7994_b.jpg

There sure is a lot that has to get done to the car when I get it back. Right now I have the tail lights & decklid panel, new rear bumper to come in the future since mine is a wee bit mangled at the moment from some old lady backing her hitch into my car. Then I have wheels and still have to figure out what size tires will be going on them. I also bought a set of Steeda Boss springs, but I will probably swap them out in exchange for a set of BMR handling springs and drop the car a bit more.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I like the clean look of that panel. Looks great on other cars I've seen. Nice and subtle with the LS logo, IMO. My only concern would be the need to hack out the bump in the trunk lid to install. At least those are pretty cheap and easy to find in good condition.

Grant 302 said:
I like the clean look of that panel. Looks great on other cars I've seen. Nice and subtle with the LS logo, IMO. My only concern would be the need to hack out the bump in the trunk lid to install. At least those are pretty cheap and easy to find in good condition.

I'm not looking forward to that at all!! It should be pretty straight forward, but I would like to not cut straight through the trunk lid as that would be my luck haha.

That being said, some preliminary numbers :D

28901636715_f8efccbc9d_h.jpg

TMSBOSS said:
Damn!!!!!!!!

About 700 at the crank. OMG. Over 2 HP per cube.

Hope she can stop! LOL

That is crazy!! Hopefully they will be able to squeeze a few more ponies out of the setup!

I was looking at the graph however and looking for the other half of it where the power drops off. Then I realized they revved the thing all the way up to 8k and no drop off in power! It looks a lot like the graphs on the GT350 which is insane!

Those are nice numbers for N/A engine.
Don't squeeze to hard. you been through a lot with your Boss. Enjoy what you have and as time rolls on you will get used to it and later down the road when everything is well broken in you can bump it up some. If you squeeze the fruit all at once you will have nothing down the road to enjoy and give you that FRESH Feeling. Just my thoughts.

Enjoy

Well like Superhero said, we squeezed to hard and found the first weak point. We think that the front seal on the timing cover had a small leak that will be fixed in the AM. Outside of that we squeezed a few more ponies out of her. Ran out of fuel, but I am more than happy with the results!

28813963082_4e120e0a9c_b.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Huge numbers from the new engine and this build has the benefit of improvements over the first build that didn't make it out of the building, so in reality the first build failure was a blessing in disguise.

I will be looking forward to reading about your 2012 Boss 302 LS in a future edition of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords and/or 5.0 Magazine!

Wishing you all the best with your new engine and '12 LS build project. You sure deserve it as you've waited a long time and have a substantial investment in this endeavor.

Run hard, have fun and be safe,
302 HP

PS: The only time I wouldn't round 593.8 to 600 is April 15th of any given year!

Since this was the first weekend I have had time with the car I took care of a bunch of small things that needed to be done. I got the Aeroforce Interceptor all hooked up and zip tied the wires out of the way. You can tell you are driving a Ford because of all the Horsepowers you are making :clap:

28717917594_a71494c0d2_b.jpg

Then I went ahead and grabbed the 2013 tail lights and AM plastic bits and threw those on as well. Pulled off the Laguna Seca rear emblem along with the matte black graphic so I can start cutting out the hump for the RTR decklid. I grabbed my Dremel and ended up cutting the hump in half in order to remove it. It was pretty easy work, maybe 30 minutes in total. I ended up using some Rustoleum spray paint on the center section that got cut out to prevent the trunk lid from rusting.

28652847314_2fb2337755_b.jpg

Here it is all done.

29275693355_9d88c886be_b.jpg

I ended up washing the car and started the process for Polish Angel. The paint is in pretty rough shape with scratches and rockchips everywhere on the car and an Angry bird drop kicked my rear bumper so eventually I will have to repaint it anyway. That being said the car looks pretty good after a quick wash.

29275845815_be26d09b49_b.jpg

28654808073_dfdedf3ef7_b.jpg

I was only able to compound the car before I ran out of shade so I ended up throwing my new wheels on. You can see where the angry bird drop kicked the rear bumper.

29215885881_44e03f5d98_b.jpg

29186372952_9b52882283_b.jpg

The wheels fit amazingly and are flush with the fenders so I am excited to put some tires on the car. The wheels themselves are 19x10 F & 19x11 R so I am thinking about 295/30/19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires in the front and a 315/30/19 tire in the rear. I only have about 5/16" clearance between the lip of the wheel and the rear wheel well in the back so a small spacer will probably be required for the rear wheel in order to work properly.

Some after pictures of the Polish Angel

29057431300_e05e0dba82_b.jpg

29311171726_e1815af0b8_b.jpg

28724107973_7dfe02b4e7_b.jpg

One of my favorite pictures

29197114991_6782bef950_b.jpg

I also managed to tear off the side pipes today so I will have to have someone weld the floor plan back on and I am going to be putting the stock sidepipes back on the car. What a royal pain in the ass.

28721600614_f6e516fc3a_b.jpg

Right now I am just working on all of the little things for the car and then I will focus on continuing the modding process. Brakes, Roll Bar and Suspension are next on the list for sure.

Thanks guys!! The car really wants to getup and go its incredible!! I just need to invest in brakes like Rick had said earlier. I had to slam on the brakes and the car didn't really respond as well as I would have liked it to so I will be talking to Pete about some new fluid lines and such in a bit once I get some money.

I've glanced at this before, but since I'm pretty sick right now, I finally took the time to read through all of it. What an outstanding piece of documentation, what a journey.
Glad to see the great numbers, and it's things like this that bind us to our cars.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
This is truly a incredible build! Did you have the stock exhaust still?? I was wondering what your sound is like, Was worried about trackday sound levels

blacksheep-1 said:
I've glanced at this before, but since I'm pretty sick right now, I finally took the time to read through all of it. What an outstanding piece of documentation, what a journey.
Glad to see the great numbers, and it's things like this that bind us to our cars.

Thank you! I hope you get better soon, nothing worse that being sick as a dog!!

Mad Hatter said:
This is truly a incredible build! Did you have the stock exhaust still?? I was wondering what your sound is like, Was worried about trackday sound levels

That is something I am going to have to figure out since I have Kooks long tubes Off Road cats for track days and the stock side pipes will be going on soon. I think I had read that Lime rock is like 99db noise limit which I think would take a bit of work for me to achieve in all honesty.

This is a awesome thread!
I've been running the thought of building a 700+ naturally aspirated 5.2 voodoo for my gt350. What are you using for tuning and what computer? Is this a ford ECU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

700+ I think is going to be a lofty goal. Darren Govoni should be putting his motor in soon and should be a monster with a sleeved coyote and 13:1 compression IIRC with some big cams and a 9000RPM redline. I think with something like the JPC 344ci block and some big compression, race gas, biger duration and lift cams, AEM Infinity standalone you might hit 700. We will see what Darren does with his since he will easily be north of 600 I think when he is done with the build.

You have a rwhp of 593 correct? If that's so, then you are at 700 crank or damn near it!

My GT350 only has ARH long tubes, off road X pipe and a Lund tune running Sunoco 260gt 100 octane race gas and I have a rwhp of 531 on my best pull.

With head work, custom cams, aem, and custom intake and bottom end I'm pretty sure I can reach 700 crank hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel